Beautiful Behaviors, November 2020

Options
I'd like to "reactivate" an old monthly thread started a few years ago by @jessiquoi. "Jess" is no longer active on MFP, but the old threads are filled with some wonderful ideas.

The words below are all @jessiquoi's:

This thread will be for people who are focusing on creating a set of gorgeous habits that support a healthy lifestyle.

Weight loss is a byproduct, and not the focus. We will practice self-care by eating healthy foods, moving our bodies, drinking enough water, and other activities that make us FEEL GOOD without harmful effects.

For example, taking an hour with your current book on your favorite lounge chair is a great way to take care of yourself. Get a massage or facial, spend time with a friend, crafting… all good ways to make us feel good without the harmful effects of immediate gratification activities like overeating or indulging in other unhealthy activities. It’s all about taking care of ourselves and loving ourselves and making ourselves happy EVEN IF we are not at a weight we love right now.

Yes, we want to lose weight, but there’s more to life than that. Sometimes giving yourself a foot massage will keep you from the donut. Sometimes it won’t but you will still feel better.

This is a judgment free zone. Let’s support each other and leave the negativity offline. I’m tired of beating myself up about my size. I want to plan to do the best I can and not feel guilty about life getting in the way.

I’m a big believer in baby steps, and setting realistic goals, and celebrating every little success! No reason we can’t enjoy the journey to a healthier lifestyle, no reason we have to feel “wrong” because we are where we are.

If you like the way this sounds, please introduce yourself in this thread. Share whatever you like and come back often! I look forward to meeting people with similar attitudes towards life.

Replies

• bamamom02
    bamamom02 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks for encouraging us to support each other here, Angela! My name is Rhonda, and I'm a wife and mother from Alabama. I'm also a high school teacher and a caregiver for my elderly parents. Life is busy, stressful, and downright discouraging for me these days, so a willingness to celebrate successes beyond the scale is more important to me now than it ever has been before. 💜
  • craftymelli7
    craftymelli7 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My name is Melissa. I love weaving, beading, crochet, and acrylic painting.
    I also have kidney disease and am trying to not get diabetes too.
    Celebrating successes is extremely important for me. It is what helps keep me motivated.
    Many people judge me by the numbers on the scale and not by my progress.
    Success is so important for progress.
    So glad to be a part of this group!!!😊
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Hi, Rhonda and Melissa. I loved reading your posts! 💖

I'm Angela. I planned to go for a walk today, which helps me in so many ways, not just physically. However, it's cold and rainy here, so I'm going to pass on the walk today.

With COVID I feel like a lot of my "traditional" self-care options have changed. I used to love going to a very small, local farm market; but I'm not comfortable going there right now for a few reasons. Also, I used to routinely get together with friends, both individually and in groups; that's not happening much at all these days and definitely not as a group. On a positive note, though, I recently had a surprisingly fun Zoom meeting with a few friends. I didn't think "seeing" each other would make such a difference, but it did. 😊

Starting this thread has made me realize I need to be a bit more creative with my self-care and "beautiful behaviors." I'm looking forward to sharing ideas.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend, whatever that may mean for "you." 💕
  • suzyjmcd2
    suzyjmcd2 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! I’m Suzy. 46 year old wife and mom of 2 strong and independent kids, 20 and 16. Trying to find my new “place” in this Covid world since choosing not to go back to my teaching job after teaching for over 20 years.

I’m finding joy in getting things done that I never had time to get done before. But I’m missing my parents and sister, since visits would include overnights, which I’m not willing to expose them, to.

Taking time to enjoy all of the little blessings I’m so lucky to have in my life...there are so many if you just take the time to look. And thankful to have grace in my life. I try to spread sunshine where and when I can, to show others that they’re blessed, too.
  • tammycolbert
    tammycolbert Posts: 236 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Hi my name is Tammy. I'm 49 years old, from Massachusetts. I am a type 2 diabetic on meds. Last year I lost almost 50lbs for my wedding. I was feeling good about myself. COVID hit and being home I let myself go bad. I have gained much of that weight I lost back. I also started a new job I am not liking at all. And my mom was diagnosed with non operable lung cancer. So it's been a stressful year thus far. I am hoping that gets better. Today I am starting again. I need to lose this weight, try and stay positive and not use food as my crutch. Wishing you all well and much happiness.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Hey there I'm Ali, 47 and from Canada. We got snow last night which out a damper on my plan to go for a walk today and clean up my gardens for winter but hey it's supposed to be beautiful and warm in 2 days so I'll do it then.

It seems everyone is feeling the effects of this pandemic. I have enjoyed my down time trying some really neat new recipes that have become favourites. We also found some really neat new places to hike.

I hope everyone has a great week. I've been reenergised as far as workouts and I'm really looking forward to each new day for what the day will hold.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Hi, @suzyjmcd2! Having the time to be productive feels great. And definitely being aware of all we have to be grateful for. When I walk by myself, I often go through a mental gratitude list, pray, or try to focus on and experience my senses (what do I smell, what do I hear, etc.?). To me, this is a form of "meditation."

@tammycolbert, you have so much on your plate right now. I'm glad you're starting over! Post here if we can help you with anything.

Hi, @AliNouveau. It sounds like you're making the best of our current times! I love the ideas of trying new recipes and finding new places to hike.

• KMC55
    KMC55 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Self-care and non-food rewards is always a challenge for me. I dont like to spend money so that takes a lot of options out too. It seems like as soon as I find a good routine to be healthy with something happens that throws it into a tailspin. I am working to get my feet back under me again and not allow changes to my "norm" throw me into a donut box (literally and figuratively). I am finding times that I think "I should do ___, but I am going to sit and knit for 30 min because that is what I WANT to do" that has helped. Now just need to keep at it