Sore Leg Muscles

Options
I am just starting my senior year of high school. Everyday in my gym class we do a plate circuit. We each take a weight (2.5, 5, or 10 lbs) we then do several exercises, most lunges and squats for about 15 minutes. We are expected to do it everyday. My legs hurt so bad tonight that I can hardly walk and stairs are unbearable. Is there anything that I can do that will actually help before tomorrow? Because not doing it isn't an option, I want to know what I can do to help and what has worked for everyone else. Thanks Much!

Replies

• medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Stretch longer and try stretch the same part but from different angles. Check youtube!
  • ashleypietz
    ashleypietz Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water and try to keep moving so the muscles don't get too stiff. That helps when I've started new exercises that my legs don't like. It will get better after a few days. Maybe take some pain killers if its too bad.
  • caroltina
    caroltina Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Stretch, definitely, check out some utube for yoga, these positions will give you a good stretch
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    The water is a great point. Also follow the workout with a protein shake. Either mix your own or use a ready to drink one like Myoplex or Muscle Milk. This will help with recovery.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    If it's shin splints, you need more padding in your shoes, but it sounds like it's just the leg muscles. Make sure you stretch and drink PLENTY of water... Advil might help too if you take it before you work out and apply icyhot when you get home from school and are relaxing.
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Water is key. Also, you could try some grapefruit juice, it is supposed to help. I haven't tried it, but heard it works. Also, stretch and don't just sit around, move. THe more you move, the less it will hurt.
  • RoosterB
    RoosterB Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    It's a great feeling though cos you know the exercises are doing you good. You might have to come downstairs on your backside for a few days.
  • Shjon10000
    Options
    Hi. You should not be doing the same exercise everyday. Your muscles need time to heal. With that said try and rest a little during the lunge by not going as deep. Good luck

I dislike when schools make exercise look like punishment. It turns people off from enjoying a lifetime of healthy exercise that can lead to higher quality of life.
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    A warm bath may also help to reduce the pain in your leg muscles. Sports massage is ideal although you need to rest in between really and it sounds like you won't have a chance! Maybe get a good massage when you get a chance to help relieve the soreness.
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Water and potassium are my two biggest recommendations. Both of these help with muscle repair, which you definitely want to push along. Crazy as it may seem, if you actually get those muscles nice and warm via a good cardio activity, it actually helps alleviate the soreness for a while.

I know that sore feeling all too well, but I know that as long as you push through, you'll be stronger for it.

I would also try to negotiate doing different exercises on different days. Consecutively training the same muscles isn't very good for them. They do need time to heal.
  • sarahrosemun
    Options
    Hmmmm, sounds like your school needs some advisement form someone who understands fitness. A good guideline for any weightlifting is 3 times a week max with rest days in between any sessions or it can cause injury. However, resistance training is fab for toning muscles, burning fat and strengthening bones so keep it up. But those lunges burn the next day and can take a few days to heal for a beginner; go easy on yourself and don't be afraid to let your instructor know that you are concerned about your recovery time. I would go with the lightest weights the day after. Have fun, and good luck!