Calories Burned

I was wondering how many calories people are buring when they workout ? I usually workout for about an hour and my calories burned per my HRM vary from around 275 to 600, depending on my activity. I weight 236 lbs. I have seen some people say they are burning close to 1000 calories per workout and wondered if that was off a HRM or MFP or the machine they're on and what they are doing to burn that amount and for how long. Before my HRM, when I used MFP I got to add lots more calories. :wink: I know the HRM is more accurate, but what is considered a good calorie burn for a workout?

Replies

• Hi. When I am at the gym and on a treadmill I burn about 500 calories in 45 min. There are a lot of factors that go into determining calories burned. Things like, Your current weight, your current fitness level, The exercise your doing, The speed of your metabolism and so on and so on. Calories burned is an individual thing and comparing it to others (who may be more fit) is an act it futility imo. Good luck
  • you already said it...it depends on what you are doing. Now let me say ANY exercise is better than booty on the couch! mopping/cleaning depending on body and resting heart rate can burn 300 for some for an hour and others not as much because they are fitter.

Invest in a good HRM, it will be your best friend. I wear mine all the time and count workouts (like Biggest Loser workouts or Jillian's 30 day shred..can burn 500-600 cal fo 30 min of kicking my butt. I get 1000 cal out of push mowing our front yard, but I live on a hill...so it's WORK with a push mower....not to mention a wee bit dangerous.

Stay hydrated and be off the couch more than you are on it.....

good luck!! Keep moving.
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    you already said it...it depends on what you are doing. Now let me say ANY exercise is better than booty on the couch! mopping/cleaning depending on body and resting heart rate can burn 300 for some for an hour and others not as much because they are fitter.

Invest in a good HRM, it will be your best friend. I wear mine all the time and count workouts (like Biggest Loser workouts or Jillian's 30 day shred..can burn 500-600 cal fo 30 min of kicking my butt. I get 1000 cal out of push mowing our front yard, but I live on a hill...so it's WORK with a push mower....not to mention a wee bit dangerous.

Stay hydrated and be off the couch more than you are on it.....

good luck!! Keep moving.

How do you get teh HRM to work properly with the workouts? Mine is a Garmin GP HRM and it said I only burned 47 calories doing L1D1 of 30DS. I figure I have something wrong but can't seem to figure it out.
  • Check out websites like this one: http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php

They'll help you get a more balanced estimate.

Personally, I bought a bodybugg. But others use heart rate monitors to get an accurate burn. The machines are just going to go off a general algorithm and the calorie ratings here on MFP are all over the place, since people put in what they personally burned.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Like you said, it depends on what you do.

A good burn for me on a daily basis is about 600 cals in an hour. Right now I am usually running, biking or swimming, or maybe a combination since I am training for a sprint triathlon.

I can easily burn 1000+ calories when I am in the heart of a training plan for a 10 mile race or half marathon. But that would be for at least a 75 minute run if not longer. My info is plugged into a program on my iPhone that takes pace, elevation, weight and age into consideration when it calculates the calorie burn.

I also ride my bike a lot and can easily burn about 1200 calories in a 2 hour ride. The same program that I use for my runs, I use for my bike rides.

IMO if you are just starting out and getting between 400-500 cals per hour, that's a decent burn.
  • Normally when i work out i burn about 800-1200 calories per workout and i normally do the stair-master and on the stair-master alone i burn about 900 cal in 35 minutes but thats also on level 20...i dont have a HRM and i normally just go bythe amount on the machine...i also do the elliptical for 30 min and burn about 300 calories....a good workout to me is about 500-600 calories..
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    I think that's a really hard question to answer because it depends on so many variables. Weight, what exercise you're doing, how long for, how much effort you put into it!! Lol!
    Today I did running/walking using a C210K app, it was 69 minutes and used 688 calories according to my HRM which has a chest strap.
    30DS usually uses about 218 calories for me.
    I weigh about 140lbs so if you weigh more and are trying hard then you would use more calories than me.
    There are no definitive answers, an HRM helps you to be more precise.
  • Does your HRM have the chest strap or is it just via wrist? Chest strap monitors tend to be more accurate than just wrist. Everyone is correct - burn depends on A LOT. Machine counters are generally for "normal" sized people and don't usually don't take your age/weight etc into account.