Buying Flat Screen TV for Husband.. GUYS HELP!

Options
jmelyan23
jmelyan23 Posts: 1,664 Member
Not to sound like a complete girl, but I have NO idea what a good flat screen TV would be and I'd love to get one for my husband for Christmas. Which brands are best and what features do you guys go for?

Any advice would be great. :)

Replies

• KateHubb
    KateHubb Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I like to look on Amazon and read the reviews on there before I purchase something. Then I can narrow it down to a few choices and then google the ones I am interested in and see where I can buy them and who sells them the cheapest.
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Did you know if you get it from QVC or HSN they will split up the payments into 4-6 months but still send you the item immediately?

I went to new egg and amazon and read reviews then went and bought my sony from QVC. Paying $200-$300 a month was easier than all up front and they don't add interest!
  • jwhitnah
    Options
    LG LCD 47" Best TV I've ever had. Good price and had it for years without any problems.
  • hefinator
    Options
    i bought both my tv's on my own, no help from boys. i have a Sony Bravia 42 inch LCD, and i love it! works great for watching TV, movies, and playing Xbox (boyfriend plays shoot-em-up type games!!)

not sure how big you are looking, but i agree with KateHubb, just check Amazon reviews on what looks good to you... :)
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I'm not a guy, but i know what we have. We have done well with Vizeo. We have two that we got from Costco and I see that Target is now carrying Vizeo. Get one that is internet and HD compatible, with all the bells and whistles.
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Not a guy but can I try??
    Sony and Samsung are both great makes, if you buy from costco you get a 5 year warranty for free (in the UK), might be different in other countries.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I have Vizio TVs. Love them. Check your local Costco, they have been known to have outstanding deals on flat screens.
  • routerguy666
    Options
    Not to sound like a complete girl, but I have NO idea what a good flat screen TV would be and I'd love to get one for my husband for Christmas. Which brands are best and what features do you guys go for?

Any advice would be great. :)

The best thing imo would be take him to the store, point at the wall and say 'merry xmas, pick out whichever one you want'.

If not, Sony Bravias are generally a safe bet.
  • travelgirl96
    Options
    we bought a 52" Sony Bravia and LOVE it.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    "low end" Tv's aren't low end, read reviews on bestbuy.com, walmart.com, etc..........

I just got a 47" LCD Vizio, 3D TV, was $868
    Wifi, internet apps, etc..........

very happy with it
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    LOVE my Samsung(52")!! No problems at all, had it for 3.5 years AND moved across country with it.

*I made sure I got it in the divorce* :laugh:
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I have Vizio TVs. Love them. Check your local Costco, they have been known to have outstanding deals on flat screens.

Also have a Visio. Very impressed!
  • jmelyan23
    jmelyan23 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    LOVE my Samsung(52")!! No problems at all, had it for 3.5 years AND moved across country with it.

*I made sure I got it in the divorce* :laugh:

Haha! Way to be. *thumbs up*
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    cant go wrong with samsung.

but off the top of my head, the main features you would probably look for would be

1. to make sure it goes up to 1080p. so 720p/1080i/1080p (1080i is HD, 1080P is blueray quality)
    2. make sure it has HDMI connections (basically instead of having the 6 different cables for HD, you only have the one cable to plug in.)

I wouldnt worry too much about those rates they give the T.V.s. I believe some go up to 50,000/75,000 or something. doesnt really mean much.

plasma's use more energy i believe so i would recommend and LCD
  • dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I bought my husband a Westinghouse flat screen last year for Christmas and we love it. My brother has one too and loves his as well. Look for black friday deals though. I scored mine for only $300 from Target last year which was 50% off.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    "low end" Tv's aren't low end, read reviews on bestbuy.com, walmart.com, etc..........

I just got a 47" LCD Vizio, 3D TV, was $868
    Wifi, internet apps, etc..........

very happy with it

Yep, Vizio is giving the other brands a run for their money.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Only ONE of you had almost a clue on TV's.

Pending on what you are getting it for and WHAT it will be used for...you best options go as so:

Technology:
    OLED
    LED
    LCD or Plasma - On this, Plasma weighs more and if the picure goes, ALL OF IT Goes versus an LCD. That Being said, see the next part:

Processor Speed:
    600Hz - Found only in Plasma - This is your primary blur reduction processing and screen refresh
    240Hz - Tops for blur reduction in LCD & LED
    120Hz - Solid blur reduction for gaming; andything beyond 50" you will notice blur with fast on-screen motion
    60Hz - Nothing more that your basic TV watching recommended here. (Great for LOW Priced LCD, but when you can get a 720p Plasma for the same cost, GO Plasma.

Resolution:
    1080p - Top Resolution. Compbine with a Blu-Ray player & its the bombdiggity (Yes, I went there)
    720p - Good resolution, but combined with slow processors, I grade it a B-
    480i - WORST DO NOT BUY

Connection:
    HDMI - How many? What are you hooking it up to? got enough?
    Internet - Do you need it?
    PC - Great for streaming in if you're a tech geek, like me (Which by now you have figured out)

And there you have it. Feel free to message me if you want my opinion on sets.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Oh and plasma Burn SUCKS to get.
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    yea, listen to the big daddy guy.

its been years since i bought a tv when they didnt even have the led and oled options.

although i think he forgot to mention 1080i resolution which is what most cable companies use for thier HD channels.