Cutting back red meat!!

Options
My husband and I had decided about 2 months ago after some research, to cut back ( not cut out) on red meat. It has worked well in our favor, I've lost about 14lbs, and he lost 10, plus we both have more energy. I eat red meat about 2 times a month, otherwise it's seafood or poultry, and I've replaced things such as sausage with chicken sausage, even though I'm substituting, it still satisfies the same way.

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I’ve been doing this for several years, for health reasons.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    I’ve been doing this for several years, for health reasons.

Same but for $$$ reasons. Chicken is way cheaper than red meat in the US.
  • Oliveciabatta
    Oliveciabatta Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Well done you. I dont like red meat much yo the chagrin of my long suffering partner who loves a steak 😤 its so much better for the planet to eat less of it and your weight loss is a great bonus.
  • MooMyuu
    MooMyuu Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I completely cut out red meat nearly 10 years ago because i was getting bad stomach pains/cramps and IBS issues (that worsened after my gallbladder was removed). Once I cut out red meat, the cramps and pains went away completely and the IBS is just always going to be there thanks to the gallbladder removal.

I substitute ground turkey for any ground beef recipe works perfectly and my beef eating friends actually prefer tacos made with ground turkey over beef (tastes cleaner, lighter, and you get more of the seasoning flavor)
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Whether you eat read meat or not has NOTHING to do w/wt loss or maintenance, except to the extent that the cals of red meat consumed contributes to your net calorie intake.

Howver, whether you eat red meat or not does matter when it relates to a possible connection to heart disease and other health problems.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Red meat gives a pretty good protein to calorie ratio and I find myself more satisfied by a small portion of lean red meat than an equal number of calories from carbs. So don't trick yourselves. You have dropped some calories out and not yet replaced them. That's all.