Feeling like a cow

Options
I finally got down to a weight that I felt good with and then the weekend hit and I’m way back up in weight and I feel like a cow. I know it is probably water retention from the junk I ate over the weekend, but it still makes me feel fat and much like a cow. I feel so off beat with working out and eating right and I’m so afraid to gain all the weight I lost back by the time the holidays are here. I’m depressed. How do you keep on track after such a big weight gain? How do you stay positive and out of your head?

Replies

• charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I finally got down to a weight that I felt good with and then the weekend hit and I’m way back up in weight and I feel like a cow. I know it is probably water retention from the junk I ate over the weekend, but it still makes me feel fat and much like a cow. I feel so off beat with working out and eating right and I’m so afraid to gain all the weight I lost back by the time the holidays are here. I’m depressed. How do you keep on track after such a big weight gain? How do you stay positive and out of your head?

You will only gain the weight back if you keep eating consistently at above maintenance. My own experience is that this is not difficult to do if I stop paying aactive attention to logging what i am eating and weighing in regularly. (I lost to my goal weight and put it all back on again, plus a bit, but have just reached the top of my maintenance range again, having lost around 25lbs since May.) Rather than beating yourself up, which migt increase your sense of not being able to do anything about this, try baby steps: go for that 10-minute walk, decide not to eat that one cookie, do something non-food related that will help you to feel good about yourself. Taking small actins will start to counteract your depression, and that will help you take the next step. Once you break out of the apathy you will quickly get on track, because you know how to do this: you've just done it. I really sympathise, and am sending good vibes.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    @leekatelynne0659
    How's it going today?

• brianpperkins131
    brianpperkins131 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Considering how many calories must be stored as fat to gain a single pound, a day or two of eating above goal isn't a big deal. Water weight and food in the digestive tract disappear. Trend lines over time count.
  • ThatCookieGurl
    ThatCookieGurl Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    @leekatelynne0659
    How's it going today?

It’s going much better, weekends tend to be tough when it comes to diet, but I’m starting to understand and come to terms with that any weight gain I see if mostly water weight and it’s making me feel less bad about it.
  • SharpWellbeing
    SharpWellbeing Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Just to give a bit of mathematical perspective (a very basic one as don't want to delve into the science)..

Let's say you're 4lbs up on a Monday after a weekend of slight indulgence.

4lbs is the equivalent of 14000 calories.

Lets say your maintenance calories are 1500 daily - 7*1500 = You can eat 10500 calories per week without putting on weight. Let's say you've eaten maintenance every day until Sat/Sun it would mean that on the weekend you would have needed to have eaten/drank 17000 calories in order to have gained that 4lb of weight... Not likely is it?

Scale weight can fluctuate for a variety of reasons, less emphasis on the monday morning weigh in will put you in a much better mood.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    You’re just bloated from pigging out.
    Start fresh tomorrow and drink lots water.
    No harm. No foul.
    As long as it’s not your daily thing, you’ll be fine.