Do you smoke?

Options
Just wondering if any of you smoke. I used to but stpped then I got pregnant 6yrs ago and never smoke since.
Smoking is sometimes associated with weight loss or loss of apetite, does this really work? Whats your reason for smoking?
...just wondering.
Have a great evening!

Replies

• bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I used to. Quit in march and I have lost less than 5lbs since then... I'm seriously considering starting up again... :(
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Personally.., I’m a quitter. I quit 10 years ago. It’s hard to say you live a healthy lifestyle & smoke.
  • RunningAddict
    RunningAddict Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    No. I could never run and smoke. I did at one time so very thankful I was able to give it up. =)
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Yes but I'm in the gradual process of quitting. For now I only smoke 1 cigarette a day, before I used to smoke about half a pack per day. Yeah its been hard but eventually we can get over it.
    Options
    I used to. Quit in march and I have lost less than 5lbs since then... I'm seriously considering starting up again... :(

I know quitting smoking is associated with weight gain because we tend to overeat or we stuff ourselves with food to make our mouth busy. I don't know if you've been feeling hungrier than when you're still smoking. I think the best way to curb that appetite is to chew a sugar-free gum everytime you feel the urge to eat or smoke.

Another thing is smoking will not help you lose more weight. Nicotine does increase your metabolism a bit but at the same time it will ruin your lungs. Also green tea helps boost your metabolism a bit so its a better alternative to smoking. I've been thinking that also whenever I try lessening my smoking then watch my waistline expand but believe me smoking will not help you keep your weight off. I've been a smoker for 10 years, including the year when my weight ballooned.
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options

That is a ridiculous thought.
    I too quit in March and have lost 70lbs since then. Its not the smoke that makes you eat more. Besides the benefits of not smoking far outweigh the disadvantages of putting up a couple of lbs.
  • izzyinbliss
    izzyinbliss Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I used to, at a pack a day at my worst :-O But I stopped when I was 28, because I knew I wanted to stop eventually, and would rather do it when I am still young enough to work out and avoid the weight gain. So I say, from experience—stop as soon as you can when you're still young and can still sweat out the toxins and avoid the weight gain! And if you don't smoke, DON'T EVEN THINK OF STARTING! If not, you could well be smoking yourself speedily to your death bed.
  • izzyinbliss
    izzyinbliss Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Oh, BTW, it won't be pretty smoking yourself thin and then to death. Your complexion will be yucky, your hair will smell bad, your lungs will get weak so you can't exercise and will get fatter and fatter, and when you start putting that cigarette into that hole they have to put in your neck so you can breathe, that's not going to look very sexy at all.
    Options

That is a ridiculous thought.
    I too quit in March and have lost 70lbs since then. Its not the smoke that makes you eat more. Besides the benefits of not smoking far outweigh the disadvantages of putting up a couple of lbs.

I agree & as they say, You Can Always Lose the Pounds but You Cannot Lose Your Lungs. Its why I'm now into quitting process. Hopefully before the end of 2011, I will be living smoke-free.
  • hedkell
    hedkell Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I quit about 7 weeks ago, the same time I joined MFP and I have lost 13 pounds/6kg. I have a glass of water every time I feel like a cigarette, works a treat!
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    No. I see absolutely no reason to start either.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I still do but very rarely. Maybe two cigs a month.
  • coatsie79
    coatsie79 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I quit as a new year's resolution in 2007, before the smoking band came in to force in the UK. Never looked back. Piled the weight on though and only just doing something about it.
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing I'm the odd one out but I'm a smoker. I'm smoke because I'm addicted, not because I want to lose weight or anything. I've stopped several times in the past years, always gained a few pounds when doing so but nothing too dramatic!

Plan to quit in the coming months but one thing at a time...
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    i am a smoker, but i havent had one in weeks. i dont feel like i am or will ever be a "non-smoker" just a smoker who hasnt had one in a long time. maybe i will feel differently when it has been a year or two or something like that .

in the last 49 days i have been smoke free for 46 of them, i have lost 9 lbs in that time and i dont think you have to gain weight when you quit. Oranges work well for me to fight off a craving.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Smoking is probably the only thing i do now that i wish i didnt.

However, i am a realist, and know that i would not be able to quit at the moment. One thing at a time. It annoys me most when my new gym schedule tells me to run on the treadmill at varying paces for 10 minutes, and im out of breath after 4...even when im now 3 st lighter. I tell people i prefer HIIT, short bursts of sprints, which i do, but in reality its just because i know i cant run for very long!

I wont deny that i do still enjoying smoking, but with my new fitness mindset every time i do, i cant help but think its not really helping my fitness goals!

But, atm, id rather be a 12st smoker than a 20st non smoker. AT THE MOMENT.

In the same way i was overweight for ages, before something just clicked in my head and now my mind simply wont let me overeat, im hoping that one day when i reach maintenance my mind will click for smoking too, and giving up wont be an issue!

I'm not a bad person though!
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I smoked 2 pks a day for nearly 18 yrs. Got pregnant and quit a month in to it and never smoked again. 4 1/2 years smoke free yipee!!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is a piece of cake compared to quitting smoking (No pun intended!).

Anyone who has quit smoking has my respect :drinker:
  • aliciarenee79
    aliciarenee79 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've lost 24 pounds and stopped smoking since about two months ago. I did one of the stupidest things in my life a few days ago and had "just one". Of course that one led to many more. I am so disappointed in myself. :(
  • shesblossoming
    Options
    I used to smoke a pack a week but since I started losing weight, I just... stopped thinking about it. I think exercising has replaced that addiction. I miss it at times though. Like when I'm driving. But then I think about how miserable I feel when I'm working out and how terrible I smelled.