Sugar Cleanse for Type 2 Diabetic

Hey! I am a Type II Diabetic and I am wanting to do a sugar cleanse. I've heard good and bad things about this. I was wanting to get some info from other Diabetics who have done this and see what your experience was. Thanks for reading and I'm excited to hear other stories.

Replies

• loubug_071
    loubug_071 Posts: 2 Member
    I should have clarified. Yes! This is just me refraining from sugars and not using any products. I refuse to spend money on "cleanses". I was just curious about the safety of doing it myself but cutting out sugars....Thanks for the replies!!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    loubug_071 wrote: »
    I should have clarified. Yes! This is just me refraining from sugars and not using any products. I refuse to spend money on "cleanses". I was just curious about the safety of doing it myself but cutting out sugars....Thanks for the replies!!

Since you have a special health situation, I would absolutely double-check with your doctor to be sure there aren't special considerations but generally . . . we don't require sugar to live and people don't experience any ill effects from limiting it or even eliminating it. If your goal is to eliminate all foods with even naturally occurring sugar, you'll want to make sure you're replacing the nutrients in the foods you're eliminating (like fruit, vegetables, and dairy). Because sugar is in a lot of nutrient-rich foods, many people decide to just limit products with *added* sugar when they're doing something like this.

Basically, a complete elimination of sugar can be quite challenging nutritionally (and it's going to wind up eliminating a lot of foods that may not be worth the trouble). Limiting or eliminating foods with added sugar is easier (while still sometimes challenging emotionally for people) and winds up being "enough" for many people who struggle either with missing their nutritional goals because they're consuming too many calories from sugar or who are looking to help manage some health conditions (like T2D).
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    loubug_071 wrote: »

I am going to stick with check with your doctor.

Like @janejellyroll says though we do not require sugar. If you do proceed though I would consider 3 days of cutback before trying to go cold turkey.

Somehow fiber is often overlooked. It is a good way to reduce the overall GI of what you are eating. It is not something to ramp up fast but over time it can help in a number of ways.
  • I don't have diabetes but I quit added sugar about a month ago. At first I allowed myself added sugar once a week, but after two weeks I found I just wasn't craving it and it didn't taste as good anymore so now I'm trying to see how long I can go without any added sugar in my diet. (RIP to my coca cola addiction)

My granddad has Type 2 diabetes though and I don't think you're supposed to completely eliminate all sugars, because that would mean getting rid of fruit and veg too and I think diabetics can eat fruit in moderation.

I would talk to your doctor if you want to eliminate sugar. Even if it's just added sugar, it's best to get a professional opinion.

Good luck!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Talk to your medical professionals. Members can't dispense medical advice on a forum. T2 does not suddenly show up on your doorstep. The early symptoms can be so mild that many might ignore them. We're edging up against one out of three with T2 and 9 out of 10 don't know they have it. Yet.
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,044 Member
    edited November 2020
    I was diagnosed being type 2 diabetic in 2019 when I was hospitalized for the flu/pneumonia ...fast forward to now ... I am no longer taking meds for diabetes ... my a1c is 5.1 ....I was keto but now I eat low carb ... I monitor my Blood Sugar 3 days a week now instead of daily and I feel healthy all around ....Best of luck to you :)
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    One reason to talk with your doctors is that if you eliminate sugar your medications may end up being too much and could lead you to have low blood sugar problems.

When my husband was doing long distance hiking, he discontinued his meds completely because his blood sugar would drop a lot. He did it without seeing a doctor, but it isn't a good idea. You don't know what long term damage you may be doing to your body.