First week of high cholesterol diet and I'm depressed... Seeking advice

sbrno1985
sbrno1985 Posts: 10 Member
edited November 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm 35/male, 5'8, 160 lbs. I dont smoke/drink.

I went to a cardiologist because i had some shortness of breath episodes on/off for like 2 weeks on left side of my chest, but it subsided. She told me My LDL is high at 123, HDL is low 34. I also have a "minimal" plaque in my carotid arteries.

I've been stressed this year and haven't took my eating habits seriously (mcdonalds, pizza, soda, etc). Not every day but enough. I couldn't go to the gym because they were closed most of the year

So this doc said she's gonna treat this with lifestyle change. She put me on this weird 4 week diet. Thing it sucks and its pretty weird:

1) 1 protein shake/day, plant based powder, not whey.

2) calcium/magnesium tablet is my "snack"

4) Breakfast and lunch are lacking any protein source, only dinner has one.

5) no fruits/cheese/fat free yogurt

6) worst of all no cheat meals :( for *4 weeks*

Today is day #4 of my diet and I've been trying to make it work.

I track everything on myfitnesspal. I've been averaging about 1500 calories/day and saturated fats less than 10g. I've been eating a protein with every meal unlike what she said. This morning i got creative and mixed my whey with oatmeal/almond milk. Ive been drinking water and seltzer only.

But no cheat meal? 4 weeks? Last night i had 4 starburst candy just to keep me sane. Yesterday at work they served brown rice, green beans, and lasagna. I had the rice, beans and took only 1/3 lasagna. I was trying to use portion control and be reasonable.

Soon i think im gonna go crazy and crave a slice of pizza with a coke for a cheat meal. Im gonna see a dietician for 2nd opinion but I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are on this in the meantime.

I'd appreciate your help and advice :)

Replies

• sbrno1985
    sarah7591 wrote: »
    Wow...that sound so restrictive. I'm not sure that is going to work for you. 1500 calories? I'd see a dietitian as well.

Well actually i came up with the 1500 cal. That's just been my average over past 4 days. She didnt give me a calorie limit just a menu with choices and certain guidelines like aim for fat free or no saturated fats (ha, easier said than done, some things have like 0.50 to 1g sat fat in them)
  • sbrno1985
    edited November 2020
    Also MFP gave me a saturated fat goal of 20g/day but as I've said i been trying to stay under 10g because now im scared to go anywhere near 20g due what she told me about my cholesterol and the plaque :(
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I used to aim for 12 grams of saturated fat or less per day. I feel your pain! I had a very hard time making it, but by being very aware of it, I did keep it lower. I don’t know if it helped or not. Good luck!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Is this genetic in your family?
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    sbrno1985 wrote: »
    sarah7591 wrote: »
    Wow...that sound so restrictive. I'm not sure that is going to work for you. 1500 calories? I'd see a dietitian as well.

Well actually i came up with the 1500 cal. That's just been my average over past 4 days. She didnt give me a calorie limit just a menu with choices and certain guidelines like aim for fat free or no saturated fats (ha, easier said than done, some things have like 0.50 to 1g sat fat in them)

She should have emphasized no trans fats, they can not only increase LDL (like saturated fats) they can also decrease HDL (bad double whammy).
  • Sasa4u
    Sasa4u Posts: 13 Member
    edited November 2020
    Is 123 LDL considered high cholesterol??? I’m so much higher than that! 😬 I think this diet seems very restrictive..I’d seek a nutritionist for advice, sometimes medical doctors aren’t very knowledgeable in nutrition.
  • sbrno1985
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    Is this genetic in your family?

No. This was pretty much brought on by months of stress that led to poor dieting and gym closures which screwed up my routine (i was consistently going 3x week for muscle building mostly)
  • sbrno1985
    Sasa4u wrote: »
    Is 123 LDL considered high cholesterol??? I’m so much higher than that! 😬 I think this diet seems very restrictive..I’d seek a nutritionist for advice, sometimes medical doctors aren’t very knowledgeable in nutrition.

Lol that's what im wondering. I looked it up and it says 123 is "near optimal" for LDL. But 34 for HDL is definitely low.
  • sbrno1985
    edited November 2020
    What exactly do you mean by "lacking any protein source"? Not even plant proteins?
    Protein is an important nutrient, so I don't understand how a doctor would recommend a diet where most meals lack protein.

So it goes like this. Her meal plan has 5 food groups.

Group 1 is fiber/healthy carbs...whole wheat toast (x2), multigrain bread, 5 oz whole wheat pasta, 1 boiled potato, 2 oz oatmeal, 5 oz corn, or 5 oz cooked legumes.

Group 2 is fruits. Group 3 is low fat/fat free yogurt, ricotta or cottage. Group 4 are whole protein sources like eggs, skinless chicken, etc. Group 5 is veggies.

For me she crossed out groups 2 and 3 completely.

BREAKFAST: 1 item from group 1, multivitamin

LUNCH: 1 item each from groups 1 and 5, multi vitamin, omega 3 plus.

DINNER: 1 item each from groups 1, 4, and 5. Omega 3 plus.

SNACK: 2 calcium magnesium tabs.

She also told me to have 1 protein smoothie a day with plant powder not whey. And she wanted me to buy her own expensive powder from her Amway business.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited November 2020
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Your medical doctor has a side Amway business?

On the basis of the above datum I would seek a second confirmatory opinion as to the treatment they recommended while also seeking to verify their credentials.

ArtisticIndelibleLeonberger-max-1mb.gif

Is this a chiropractor? B)