Baked Macaroni & Cheese

Options
I'm looking for a healthy but tasty recipe! Help?!

Replies

• macylane4
    Options
    hahaha goodluck!! we have yet to find one! nothing about cheese and pasta is healthy!!! if u find me one let me know!!!
  • Goofy076
    Goofy076 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    ya love, my hubby LOVES my baked mac and cheese but I cant make it other wise I will eat it HAHA.. If you find one PLEASE post it for all to see <3
  • Adam123456
    Adam123456 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Haha. Good luck with that! I gave up trying to find a healthy recipe for it ages ago. Now I just have much smaller portions of it alongside a plate filled with healthy vegetables and lean meat :)
  • sunshinel397
    Options
    This is by no means healthy, just healthier.....I take annie's mac n cheese and sub milk and butter with plain greek yogurt. It has less fat and calories and tastes delicious! You could probably use it with any boxed mac n cheese variety. As for homemade, there is no good substitution. Enjoy!:smile::smile:
  • TakeOne
    TakeOne Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    You can hope right? Lol BUMP!
  • LaSirena29
    Options
    I made the Lighter Baked Macaroni & Cheese from Skinny Taste last week and everyone really liked it.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/05/lighter-baked-macaroni-and-cheese.html
  • KaraAnneMcD
    KaraAnneMcD Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/09/skinny-baked-broccoli-macaroni-and.html#more

I just found this recipe and remembered seeing a message board post. I haven't tried it,but it looks really good!
  • jackwooness
    Options
    My recipe goes like this:

50g pasta
    10g Flora (or other lower fat buttery thing)
    10g plain flour
    150ml skimmed milk
    40g grated light cheese (I use Cathedral City Lighter)
    10g (ish) cornflakes

Cook the pasta as you normally would.
    Melt the butter in a pan then add the flour. Cook over a low heat for 2 minutes, stirring all the time. (I found for me, it went into one big lump, but it still works well)
    Gradually add the milk, and bring to the boil, stirring all the time. Simmer for 2-3 minutes, then season if desired.
    Add the pasta and about 30g cheese and mix well.
    Pour into an ovenproof dish and sprinkle the cornflakes on top, followed by the rest of the cheese. Grill until all bubbly and melty.
    The cornflakes add a really nice crunch and texture to the dish.

464 calories
    60g carbs
    14g fat
    25g protein
    355mg sodium
  • Chydi
    Chydi Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    From Clean Eating Magazine: http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/Recipes/Recipe/Clean-Mac-n-Cheese.aspx

INGREDIENTS:
    2 1/4 cups whole-wheat elbow macaroni
    Olive oil cooking spray
    1/4 cup stone-ground whole-grain brown rice flour
    1/4 tsp sea salt
    1 cup skim milk
    3 oz light Swiss cheese, finely shredded
    5 oz low-fat cheddar cheese, finely shredded
    1 tbsp whole-wheat panko breadcrumbs
    2 tbsp reduced-fat Parmesan cheese
    INSTRUCTIONS:
    Cook macaroni according to package directions.
    Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly mist an 8-inch diameter (1 1/2 qt) casserole dish with cooking spray.
    Spoon flour and salt into medium bowl and slowly whisk in enough milk to form a paste. Then add remaining milk, whisking as you do, making sure that no lumps remain.
    Place a medium nonstick saucepan over medium heat and add flour-milk mixture. When milk is warm, add Swiss cheese and stir quickly and frequently with a wooden spoon until cheese is completely melted and incorporated. Add cheddar cheese and continue stirring until cheese is completely melted and mixture begins to thicken slightly. (Since stovetops vary in temperature and sauce is delicate, mixture may separate. If sauce separates or if cheese doesn’t fully combine, add the warmed mixture to a blender or the bowl of a food processor fitted with a chopping blade. Process until smooth and combined, covering blender or food processor lid with a towel in case hot liquid splashes. Add cheese sauce back to saucepan over medium heat and stir constantly until warmed through.) Stir in cooked macaroni, then transfer mixture to casserole dish.
    In small bowl, stir together breadcrumbs and Parmesan. Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly over top of macaroni. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until topping is lightly browned. Allow to stand 5 minutes. Serve.
    Nutrients per 1-cup serving: Calories: 250, Total Fat: 4 g, Sat. Fat: 2 g, Carbs: 38 g, Fiber: 4, Sugars: 3 g, Protein: 18, Sodium: 310 mg, Cholesterol: 10 mg
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    http://www.marthastewart.com/337716/macaroni-and-cheese-with-butternut-squas

I use veggie stock instead, also whole wheat pasta and whole wheat bread crumbs. Also use light cheddar and light ricotta.
  • _Corinne_
    _Corinne_ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    bumpidy bump
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Biffybeans1
    Biffybeans1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Brook70
    Brook70 Posts: 164
    Options
    Bump
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Creamy Four-Cheese Macaroni

Here is a healthy recipe for traditional macaroni and cheese that uses four types of cheese to keep the cheesy goodness without all the fat and calories.

YIELD: 8 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
    COURSE: Casseroles, Main Dishes, Side Dishes/Vegetables
    Ingredients

1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    2 2/3 cups 1% low-fat milk
    3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded fontina cheese or Swiss cheese
    1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
    1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
    3 ounces light processed cheese (such as light Velveeta)
    6 cups cooked elbow macaroni (about 3 cups uncooked)
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Cooking spray
    1/3 cup crushed onion melba toasts (about 12 pieces)
    1 tablespoon reduced-calorie margarine, softened
    Preparation

Preheat oven to 375°.

Place flour in a large saucepan. Gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cook over medium heat 8 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Add cheeses; cook 3 minutes or until cheese melts, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in macaroni and salt.

Spoon mixture into a 2-quart casserole coated with cooking spray. Combine crushed toasts and margarine in a small bowl; stir until well-blended. Sprinkle over macaroni mixture. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until bubbly.

Three-Pepper Variation: add these ingredients for a spicier version of our Creamy Four-Cheese Macaroni. Add 1 cup chopped bottled roasted red bell pepper, 1 tablespoon chopped seeded pickled jalapeño pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper at the same time the macaroni and salt are added.

Nutritional Information
    Amount per serving
    Calories: 350
    Calories from fat: 29%
    Fat: 11.2g
    Saturated fat: 6.3g
    Monounsaturated fat: 2.9g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
    Protein: 18g
    Carbohydrate: 42.4g
    Fiber: 2.1g
    Cholesterol: 32mg
    Iron: 1.9mg
    Sodium: 497mg
    Calcium: 306mg
  • trishlambert
    trishlambert Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've made the Hungry Girl version using Green Giant frozen cauliflower in cheese sauce as the base. Uses less pasta and I get more veggies into my day!

http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1298
  • Chydi
    Chydi Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oh my! You have to check this one out! http://www.healthyfoodforliving.com/?p=13129

Pumpkin Mac & Cheese

serves 4

Ingredients:

8 oz uncooked macaroni or other pasta, preferably whole wheat or whole wheat blend pasta
    1 cup pumpkin puree
    1 cup 1% low-fat milk
    2 oz (about 4 Tbsp) 1/3-less-fat neufchatel cream cheese
    1 cup freshly grated 50% reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
    1/2 cup freshly grated gruyere cheese (can sub in any good melting cheese, such as monterey jack)
    1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
    1/8 – 1/4 tsp ground cayenne pepper, or more depending on heat preference
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
    Directions:

Cook pasta according to package directions.
    Meanwhile, whisk together and heat pumpkin puree and milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat until hot.
    Reduce stove heat to low. Whisk in cheeses until fully melted.
    Stir in nutmeg and cayenne. Season with salt and pepper.
    Stir drained pasta into the pumpkin-cheese sauce and mix until thoroughly combined.
    At this point, the mac & cheese might appear a bit soupy. If this is the case, let the mixture sit off of the heat for a few minutes. The cheese sauce will firm up as it slightly cools.
    Serve with an extra dusting of nutmeg, if desired.
  • h3h8m3
    h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Too many awesome ideas in here. I am going to start working through them.

IE: Bump