I am needing some support and help.

Options
thedrewmancometh
thedrewmancometh Posts: 9 Member
edited October 2020 in Motivation and Support
I am 6'1" 293lb currently. For the past few years, I have fluctuated between 270 and 295lb. Nothing I do seems to change this.
A little about what I am doing.
EATING:
I meal prep and to do this I shop online. As I shop I plug the nutritional information into a spreadsheet so I can calculate calories and plan meals. The app isn't quite so friendly with this so when I enter my meals I often select something similar and adjust the serving size until the calories match. As an example, if I am eating turkey meatloaf and veggies I may search for a frozen dinner that matches that description and adjust the serving size.
Here is an example of my spreadsheet.
https://1drv.ms/x/s!Ap0voYULEyzDgjrRnwXSnhBkO4pb?e=nGUbCi
EXERCISE:
I go to the gym about 3 to 5 times a week for 30-60 minutes each session. I utilize 5x5 stronglifts for weight training. In addition to this, I run a lot. Lately I have been averaging about 15 miles a week. I have run up to 50 miles in a week. Every year I try to complete at least one ultra marathon and some years I have completed up to 3. This year I will be attempting a 100km race. (62 miles)
EMOTIONS:
This is where I am failing. I will do the right thing for days upon days eating right, limiting my calories to under 2000 a day. I usually try to stay around 2000 average but eat more on high workout days. On heavy workout days, I may eat 2500 and on lazy days I may eat as little as 1200. After doing all the right things and stepping on the scale I get sooooooooo frustrated and that's when I tend to gorge on crap food.
Sometimes I tell myself to focus on fitness numbers rather than scale numbers. Miles run, weights lifted, etc rather than a number on a scale. I mean I do run a lot.

I have spoken with my doctor about seeing an endocrinologist. He tested my thyroid and it's fine. I was on thyroid medicine years back but got off it after I lost weight. I used to weigh 382lb. I am not sure if I have a hormonal imbalance. I do feel as if I am pretty healthy in my habits and should not weigh this much. I am looking for folks that may be like me that can help encourage me and maybe I can help encourage as well.

Replies

• annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    It's hard I stay the same weight for ages months at a time then suddenly I start to lose, just keep logging and exercising and eventually you will see results it seems to be trial and error no one way fits all. Try not to get disappointed and gorge. At least but exercising your keeping your body fit.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Food scale 100% is my first thought here. Then, you exercise: are you entering that in and eating those calories back?? Are you maybe overestimating the number of calories burned during the exercise?
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    EMOTIONS:
    This is where I am failing... After doing all the right things and stepping on the scale I get sooooooooo frustrated and that's when I tend to gorge on crap food.

So much of this stuff is mental. Don't wait for motivation. Don't look for inspiration. Don't search for willpower. Those are limited resources based on our emotions.

You're going to have to sit with your portions and gut it out. Measure and weigh, then sit for a few minutes. Find the deeper meaning. You're going to have to retrain your brain. Immediate gratification creates deep ruts in our brains. We become a looper. Ask me how I know.

To break all of these unproductive cycles with food is going to take time. A lorra lorra time. To kale with creating a new habit within 21 or 30 days. That's a bunch of malarkey. It's going to take giant month hunks of time, focus and consistency.

Sit with your portions. Regardless if your plate is decorative with delicate tiddlywinks or just placed on a paper plate...sit and reflect. Find your deeper meaning and it will create momentum. Momentum will take you much further than willpower, motivation and inspiration ever will.

You won't need anything or anyone to jack you UP. You'll be able to keep yourself moving forward during the midnight hours when no one else is around. How you speak to yourself matters. You only have 5 seconds before the brain will talk you out of everything including your dream weight.

You choose. You decide. There's only choices and consequences. You want your dream weight so fight like hail for it. On a one meal at a time basis, day by day you will get there. Focus. Keep your head engaged every step of the way.

• thedrewmancometh
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    EMOTIONS:
    This is where I am failing... After doing all the right things and stepping on the scale I get sooooooooo frustrated and that's when I tend to gorge on crap food.

So much of this stuff is mental. Don't wait for motivation. Don't look for inspiration. Don't search for willpower. Those are limited resources based on our emotions.

You're going to have to sit with your portions and gut it out. Measure and weigh, then sit for a few minutes. Find the deeper meaning. You're going to have to retrain your brain. Immediate gratification creates deep ruts in our brains. We become a looper. Ask me how I know.

To break all of these unproductive cycles with food is going to take time. A lorra lorra time. To kale with creating a new habit within 21 or 30 days. That's a bunch of malarkey. It's going to take giant month hunks of time, focus and consistency.

Sit with your portions. Regardless if your plate is decorative with delicate tiddlywinks or just placed on a paper plate...sit and reflect. Find your deeper meaning and it will create momentum. Momentum will take you much further than willpower, motivation and inspiration ever will.

You won't need anything or anyone to jack you UP. You'll be able to keep yourself moving forward during the midnight hours when no one else is around. How you speak to yourself matters. You only have 5 seconds before the brain will talk you out of everything including your dream weight.

You choose. You decide. There's only choices and consequences. You want your dream weight so fight like hail for it. On a one meal at a time basis, day by day you will get there. Focus. Keep your head engaged every step of the way.

Let me go into a little further detail because I feel like a lot of people are making the wrong assumption.
    I do measure my food. I am actually kinda anal about it. For six straight months I ate nothing but 8 cans of green beans and 6 cans of tuna straight out of the can. Literally nothing else.... NOTHING. It equaled exactly 1220 calories a day. I logged my weight every day on a spread sheet, the vitamins I took to supplement, the miles I ran, the water I drank, the times I pooped. After six months guess what I lost? 15 pounds. I went from 286 to 271. That is why I went to the doctor with my spreadsheet and he tested my thyroid. After six months of never eating a meal with my wife and her getting kinda ticked off about it I figured it is what I needed to do. I lost 15 pounds and my running suffered tremendously. I went to virtually zero milage a week. That is why I am only up to 15 miles a week now and working my way back to 50 miles a week that I did when I was 286.
    I don't mean to be angry at these responses that I need to weigh my portions and have willpower. I am going to avoid cuss words but frankly I feel like my doctor didn't believe me and all of you just assume it's meal portions and improper judgment.

Could you eat nothing but eight cans of green beans and six cans of tuna a day PLAIN out of the can for six months? I think it's safe to say I have willpower

Could you or do you run up to 50 miles a week?

God if I was richer I would pay for someone to live with me six months to verify to the world I am not lying.
    I guess I was just looking for encouragement to keep it up despite how weird my body is.

I am going to try grazing through the day with tiny portions. I intermittent fasted and did OMAD for a while. I actually really enjoyed the simplicity of OMAD but maybe it's time to try grazing. Also in case you are wondering... yet I ate 8 cans of grean beans (with the fluid) and 6 cans of tuna OMAD. That is probably something else crazy about me. I mean who's stomach can hold what is essentially over a gallon's worth of food.. well anyway I am rambling.
    Pray the grazing works.
  • thedrewmancometh
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    Food scale 100% is my first thought here. Then, you exercise: are you entering that in and eating those calories back?? Are you maybe overestimating the number of calories burned during the exercise?

I don't even bother logging my exercise on here. I use a coros running watch which syncs to strava, which doesn't sync to myfitness pal unfortunately. No I do not count exercise calories and try to burn them off... you can't outrun a bad diet. I am eating roughly 1750 calories a day now regardless. Sometimes I exercise 30 minutes a day and sometimes it's 2 hours. It all depends on if it's just the gym or if I run too. Regardless my calories stay the same and yes I weigh and measure my portions...
  • thedrewmancometh
    edited October 2020
    Options
    And of course, if you are trying to completely eliminate snack/treat foods that could lead to binging as well. Try to work them in from time to time, within your calorie range. Set your lazy days to a minimum of 1500 calories instead of 1200, and have 300 calories of something you enjoy.

As I have stated in previous replies for six months I ate nothing but 8 cans of green beans and 6 cans of tuna, PLAIN, out of the can per day. I came off that after only losing 15 pounds and binged like crazy out of frustration. Six months of that mess and I was expecting more than 15 pounds. I gained 22 pounds back in a matter of two months. I going to try grazing now. I was OMAD so I am grazing now and meal prepping every meal so my wife can actually eat with me. God bless her for sticking with me through six months of that craziness. Honestly, I am just afraid that if this meal prepping and grazing doesn't work I am lost... lost both mentally and physically at that point.

• dewit
    dewit Posts: 1,468 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Do you know that heavy lifting may lead first to water retention, immediately after? Muscle tissues needing repairment or such.
    Do you weigh in once a week? Maybe you coincidentally pick a day after eating more carbs, having a more intensive training or sleeping less. Just a thought.
    Not that I didnt ever so ofter feel like grabbing a 🔨 after stepping on the stupid ⚖! 🤷‍♀️
    Do you feel stronger, fitter, more energetic than before? That's what matters most!
  • thedrewmancometh
    Options
    dewit wrote: »
    Do you know that heavy lifting may lead first to water retention, immediately after? Muscle tissues needing repairment or such.
    Do you weigh in once a week? Maybe you coincidentally pick a day after eating more carbs, having a more intensive training or sleeping less. Just a thought.
    Not that I didnt feel like grabbing a 🔨 ever so often! 🤷‍♀️
    Do you feel stronger, fitter, more energetic than before? That's what matters most!

That's what I am really trying to focus on. I am stronger. I keep a log of all my reps and sets with the weight I used and it has gone up considerably and I am trying to get my running back to where it was. Currently amongst all ultra marathon runners my age I am in the 61 percentile so I am above average. To be honest I am mostly frustrated by my looks more than weight. I have man boobs, a jiggly stomach, and I go to these races with a hundred other runners that are sticks. I also feel like I I could easly win some races and get into a higher percentile if I was thinner.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Are your 2,500 days the days you're "gorging" or do you mean that you're eating 2,500 on your heavy workout days and you have additional days where you're eating a lot more than that?

2,500 isn't that much for a runner, especially a tall man. If this feels like gorging to you, it seems like there may be some perception issues at play.
  • thedrewmancometh
    Options
    Are your 2,500 days the days you're "gorging" or do you mean that you're eating 2,500 on your heavy workout days and you have additional days where you're eating a lot more than that?

2,500 isn't that much for a runner, especially a tall man. If this feels like gorging to you, it seems like there may be some perception issues at play.
    No 2500 calorie days are what I consider healthy high calorie days. Gorging would be a 4000+ calorie day which I haven't done in a few weeks. I had a meal plan that built up through the week. It was something like 500 monday, 800 tue, 1200 wed, 1700 thur, 2300 fri, 2800 sat, 3500 sun. This allowed me to eat heavy on the weekends when I go on long runs. I was averaging 2000 calories a day. This past monday I stopped that and switched to small grazing meals and averaging about 1750 calories a day. I am not sure how that will work out this weekend with my long runs.

• AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Sorry you're struggling
    The beans and tuna would have made you stagnate weight wise I'd imagine because of sodium content. Also I read once the mercury in tuna can really mess with your system cause all sorts of issues

Now that's been dealt with... 🤣.

Personally for me sugars are the killer, if I can keep that number under the target on here I will lose.

The scale can be frustrating, you're tall so you naturally will carry more weight (I'm tall for a woman so I always have to remind myself of this). Can you avoid the scale for a bit since it messes with your mind and go by more of a non scale victory kinda think? Like hey today my pants feel a bit looser, therefore I have succeeded. The scale can be a nasty thing to our brains that need the proof. If that is what causes the binge cycle why not try to go without it. Perhaps you'll be surprised
  • Dogmom1978
    Options
    Do you measure yourself? Like with a tape measure? I track my measurements along with weighing. And if the man boobs and stomach are loose skin, that will simply take time and patience for the skin to tighten. If it’s fat, well, we can’t control where we lose fat sadly. I always lose it in my chest first and that’s where I want to KEEP it lol.

And yes, a loss is a loss no matter how slow it is. Frankly, eating only tuna and string beans sounds like an absolutely terrible plan and I’m not sure why you were being so restrictive, but if you don’t do that anymore, no need to address it.

• thedrewmancometh
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    Frankly, eating only tuna and string beans sounds like an absolutely terrible plan and I’m not sure why you were being so restrictive, but if you don’t do that anymore, no need to address it.
    I probably shouldn't go back to this picture to gauge myself but I do. This was me 15 years ago. At the time I was single and tuna and green beans is all I ate for two years. I was single and BROKE so that was the best way for me to get protein cheap. It worked for me then so I figured it might work again... no such luck.
    I also smoked over a pack of cigarettes a day so that probably affected my metabolism. I quit eight years ago.
    0n9jol7jf2he.jpg

• Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    After weighing 382 pounds, it makes sense that loose skin would happen, hence the jiggle. Seconding the tape measure suggestion, and maybe progress pictures, and maybe dexa scanner. Your workout plan sounds like you're doing a slow recomp. So the above measurements may be more relevant than the scale. I also second the concerns about high tuna intake and risk of heavy metal poisoning.
    Also curious what is in the canning liquid with the green beans... I'm guessing high sodium, and maybe even a significant number of carbs, differing widely among manufacturers. And while you looked very nice 15 years ago, keep in mind that we can't turn back time. You've collected experience and it's going to show. All the best of luck on your journey!
  • Dogmom1978
    Options
    Cheap doesn’t mean healthy lol. I lived off ramen noodles (literally) for a year in college and I lost over 40 lbs. Yes it worked, but it doesn’t mean I should do that again this time. I also had 0 time and energy at a job I had years ago and I literally ate a buttered roll in the morning with a cup of coffee and NOTHING ELSE. That time I lost over 60lbs. Doesn’t mean I should try that again either.

You need sustainable life changes. I put on a bunch of weight when I quit smoking about a decade ago. Then lost it at the above mentioned job and then gained it back when I no longer worked at that job. It isn’t realistic to gauge your current physique against 15 years younger you although with patience and work, you can get back there.

The name of the game is PATIENCE and SUSTAINABLE changes. Although you ate nothing but tuna and string beans for six months does not mean that is sustainable for THE REST OF YOUR LIFE. Make changes that you can see yourself doing forever.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

No 2500 calorie days are what I consider healthy high calorie days. Gorging would be a 4000+ calorie day which I haven't done in a few weeks. I had a meal plan that built up through the week. It was something like 500 monday, 800 tue, 1200 wed, 1700 thur, 2300 fri, 2800 sat, 3500 sun. This allowed me to eat heavy on the weekends when I go on long runs. I was averaging 2000 calories a day. This past monday I stopped that and switched to small grazing meals and averaging about 1750 calories a day. I am not sure how that will work out this weekend with my long runs.

This is just my perception: I feel like if I was constantly switching up my goals, it would be very difficult to measure progress and tell what was working and what wasn't. You've got extremely low calorie days and extremely high calorie days. If you're eating 3,500-4,000 calories when that isn't what you usually eat, that's going to cause temporary water retention as your body deals with the extra carbohydrates, sodium, and just pure volume of food in your system. So you're regularly temporarily increasing your weight, peeling that off, and adding it again. This in itself isn't necessarily a problem, but it means that you're going to need to take a longer trend view of your weight than someone who is regularly eating around the same amount each day. As you probably know, running can also cause weight swings as your body is dealing with recovering from intense activity. So you're swinging all around on the scale, concluding that things aren't working, and then making changes based on that.

I personally find it very difficult to maintain a deficit while actively training for marathon/ultramarathon distances. Anything over 250 calories seems to impact my running and leave me vulnerable to intense hunger that is mentally challenging. When I eat a little less than what I need each day, I can slowly lose fat while not impacting my running. And my personal experience is that you don't really miss 200ish calories a day. When I read your post it sounds your long term trend is to shoot for a really aggressive deficit, which is leading you to snap and "gorge," and this is resulting in you never really losing any weight.

1,200 is WAY too low for an active person your size, even on a "lazy" day. As a runner, your hunger isn't necessarily going to be tied to that day's activity. I personally feel like it would be very beneficial for you to figure out how much you need to maintain your weight, based on your activity, and then create a deficit from there. If the calorie cycling is something you find helpful, there's no reason to stop that, but your current cycling sounds kind of arbitrary. You want to go into your long runs fueled, you're going to have to eat more than 500 or 800 calories a day. No wonder you're "snapping" after days of compliance to that kind of plan. I weigh 110 and I can't imagine training on your intake.

Please feel free to disregard if I'm misunderstanding or this isn't helpful, these are just some thoughts I had while reading your post. As a runner, you know that leaner is better (up to a point). The missing piece right now is ensuring you're fueling your activity in a way that isn't going to compromise your emotions and lead to really high calorie off-plan days because I am convinced that is what is driving your lack of progress with weight loss. At the end of the day you weigh this much because you're eating enough -- over time -- to maintain that weight. You're trying to tackle it by driving your calories really low on other days, which is just making the problem worse. I think you need to tackle it from the opposite side -- try to reduce the days when you are eating more than you need.
  • Woodlaw18
    Woodlaw18 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The emotional part was always what killed me too.

I like what dogmom said.

For me, I was at 345 and nothing ever worked long term. The emotional part was my downfall as well. This last time I’ve totally ch aged my approach. My goal isnt to lose weight this time, but ch age my habits in a totally sustainable way. I eat 1700 calories a day, and put a lot of effort into meal planning. I count myself successful at the end of the day if I eat the way I planned. I weigh myself daily just for records sake, but I don’t really care what the scale says. I know if I keep my habits up long enough the weight will come off. So I have weeks where I’m perfect and I gain weight, but I don’t care because that’s not my ultimate goal.

Long story short, I’ve lost 75 lbs now, and because I’m not obsessing over that sale number any longer, I don’t get discouraged when it fluctuates. And the changes I’ve made I fee I can keep up for the rest of my life.

Not saying this will work for anyone else, but it’s been huge for me. Good luck man!
  • Be_theBest_Me
    Be_theBest_Me Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Wow your struggle is real!!! I thought my struggle was crazy!!! I have nodules on my thyroid and it makes my body do some weird *kitten*. But when tested it's so perfect!! Dr. Make me wanna wear orange!!! I haven't focused on me lately at all!! Been moving and stress eating like a moron!! My family doesn't get my needs. Emotional eating like a pro lately!! I know what I should be doing and I can't get motivated!! This feeling of being alone haunts me!! I have no advise for my self let alone anyone else. But I thought I'd just say you are not alone!!! Here to grind and struggle with ya if you need someone to talk to vent to or just cuss at!! Here I am!! Hahaha gonna go work out and do all I can to make today the best it can be!!