35 lbs by May 1st: Anyone want to join me for accountability?

Options
I've been doing really well with exercise, but am ready to really start focusing on food as fuel and shed 35 pounds. Every time I go running I imagine how much easier it would be if I weren't carrying this load of fat around like a 35lb backpack. I know weight loss happens in the kitchen and I'm ready. I'd love to have some accountability buddies so please hit me up if interested in helping each other out.

Replies

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Your goal is close to 1.5 lbs per week. Depending on how much weight you have to lose that may not be realistic. If this is your last 35 lbs, maybe 1-1.5 in the beginning, but then when you get closer to goal (last 10-15) closer to .5 a week or less.

It’s great that you want to lose the weight, but don’t get discouraged when it doesn’t happen by may 1
  • 3greyhorses
    3greyhorses Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Right.
    Per Mayo Clinic-
    "3. Set realistic goals
    It may seem obvious to set realistic weight-loss goals. But do you really know what's realistic? Over the long term, it's smart to aim for losing 1 to 2 pounds (0.5 to 1 kilogram) a week."

• mrtfindlay38
    mrtfindlay38 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm in, I need to lose around 40, but need motivation. I lift and do some cardio but, my diet is well uh, inconcsistant.
  • Dogmom1978
    Options
    I'm in, I need to lose around 40, but need motivation. I lift and do some cardio but, my diet is well uh, inconcsistant.

@mrtfindlay38 you aren’t going to lose 40 by Christmas even if your diet was perfect. Read above re realistic goals.
  • fitby44
    fitby44 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    @Dogmom1978 I think the challenge is for May 1, not Christmas. That makes a huge difference.
  • Dogmom1978
    Options
    Lol different post is Christmas, sorry about that but still probably not terribly realistic to lose 40 lbs by may 1 unless you have a lot more than 40 total to lose
  • mrtfindlay38
    mrtfindlay38 Posts: 3 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    24 weeks by May 1st is a potential of 48 pounds. Yes, I can lose more, currently sitting at 243 so getting to 203 sounds doable. I do very little cardio and just did Sunday meal prep. We will see how it goes if I can stick to a good schedule.
  • fitby44
    fitby44 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few Christmas goal deadlines going, so that's understandable.

I lost 40 pounds in less than six months, so I encourage anyone who wants to try it to try it. Everyone is different, of course, but regardless it's good to have goals to work towards. Even if you fall a bit short, it's still a win. At least that's the way I look at it. I usually set goals that are a bit of a challenge but don't beat myself up if it takes me a couple of extra weeks to achieve them. That's happened three times now with mini-goals. For example, I just finally got below 190 even though I had tried to get there by November 1. I might not have made it by that date, but working toward that goal meant I wasn't maintaining and I wasn't gaining. And I'm pretty happy to be at 188.4 just 8 days after.

Anyway, good luck to the participants. Like most of us, I suspect you know what to do because you've been doing it or have done it before and haven't asked for advice.
  • Katebook309yahoocom940
    Options
    Would love to join you for general weightloss suport. :) ... not sure I'll be able to do the 35 by May but I can cheer you on ;) I'm looking to do about that by July of next year.
  • 3greyhorses
    Options
    To anyone who is interested, send me a friend request. Even if we don't lose 35lbs by May (I think it's doable and realistic if you're willing to do the work), we can at least help each other move in the right direction.
  • mrsshots2011
    mrsshots2011 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm in!!! I've got the exercise down but as my boot camp trainer says "You can't out exercise a bad diet." I lost 35lbs about four years ago and slowly put it back on. I lost because I was tracking everything. I HATE tracking but just need to get over it if I want to loose the weight. 35lbs by May is a good goal. I need the help and accountability. Thank you!!
  • bjo121
    bjo121 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes I’m in! I am ready to lose 40 pounds. Today was tough I realize how my daughters (I’m a single mom!) stir me up to eat comfort food! I did control myself but now I have to get them to join me to or at least support my goal to lose weight! So it’s nice to find a community that is willing to support me too! Thanks for starting this!
  • chasitystiff9397
    chasitystiff9397 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yes I am in add me idk how to add
  • 3greyhorses
    Options
    I've sent messages to everyone who has expressed interest in supporting each other towards this goal. If enough people are interested, I can start a group for all of us to get to know each other. Send me a message if you're up for it!
  • 3greyhorses
    Options
    Yes I am in add me idk how to add
    I sent you a friend request with a msg :smile:
  • c_l_belle
    c_l_belle Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm in. Friend request with message sent.
  • 3greyhorses
    Options
    c_l_belle wrote: »
    I'm in. Friend request with message sent.
    Thank you :) I don't see the message, but I sent you one!
  • MrsAcyprus2015
    MrsAcyprus2015 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Me please :)

I've just sent a friend request
  • 3greyhorses
    Options
    Here's the link to my new group! All are welcome :smile:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/138941-countdown-to-may-1st-2021