Cardio best in the morning or night?

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Makes no difference other than adhearance to your goal.
  • cyaneverfat
    cyaneverfat Posts: 527 Member
    I'm sure you could find the answer on google. Lots of articles written about this sort of thing.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Perhaps defne what "best" means for you?

To me best means able to perform at my highest ability and enjoy it the most - for me that tends to be between 10am and 10pm.

Early morning exercise is normally when I feel and perform my worst but the opposite could be true for you.
    (I'm often just going out on my cycle rides when the majority of cyclists are already on their way home....)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    Whatever works for you. What's the meaning of that image, btw? Are you trying to make us aware of a blog of yours?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Whichever will make you most consistent. Some like morning exercise so they don't have to think about it again later. Some like mornings because they can go out before the kids wake up. Some prefer afternoon or evening because they are more awake and have more energy. Some have no energy after a day of work so won't do evening workouts.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Whenever you have the time.
  • yourstrulyc
    yourstrulyc Posts: 11 Member
    Thanks guys ... just didn’t know if there’s a difference if you did it in the morning or nights as far as how the body takes it ....
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Thanks guys ... just didn’t know if there’s a difference if you did it in the morning or nights as far as how the body takes it ....

Not sure why anyone would think there would be a difference.

Adherence is the difference. If you can adhere to a morning routine, you should workout in the morning. I’m too tired and cranky in the morning, so I’m an after dinner person, but I don’t have to drive to the gym or anything; my gym is in my basement.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

The only meaningful difference timing really makes is your own energy levels. I don't particularly like doing any kind of workout early in the morning as it take me awhile to wake up and feel energized. When I ride early in the morning as I often do in the summer, my times are always slower and the rides just don't feel as good. My preference when I can is somewhere between mid morning and early afternoon, but mostly I do what fits my schedule.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Whenever you'll get it done. If I have to work out in the morning, I'm usually more sluggish. Due to the shutdown, I had been trying to get it done during my day because it would free up me evenings more. It wasn't working. It only took me 6 months to figure it out... Now, I have moved my workouts to the end of my workday where they were when I was commuting from work to the gym, and my sleep is restored, my workouts are good, and because I'm doing them at home, my evenings are pretty freed up. It has to work for you. What works for one, might not for someone else.
  • Whatpatience
    Whatpatience Posts: 11 Member
    Good advice here already. I'll add that you should probably avoid doing hard cardio sessions in the evening because the increased cortisol levels can make it harder to go to sleep (at least it does for me).
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Good advice here already. I'll add that you should probably avoid doing hard cardio sessions in the evening because the increased cortisol levels can make it harder to go to sleep (at least it does for me).

I take generic Benadryl to counter that problem. The evening is the only time I have and I’m not about to avoid hard cardio or weight sessions. 🤷🏻‍♀️