What is this machine

Options
Stupid question I know, but what is this machine. It’s similar to an elliptical but more of a swing motion than a climb 6elcysban7ds.jpeg

Replies

• xodreamariexo
    xodreamariexo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    It's an arc trainer; for low-impact cardio

Thank you! I had been wanting to try it & was unsure how to log. I was gonna break down & ask & employee but I figured I’d try here first
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I love my arc trainer! I have a cybex arc trainer in my home gym in the basement and it might be my favorite piece of cardio equipment.
  • Dogmom1978
    Options
    My arc trainer is to the right of the treadmill in that photo.
  • xodreamariexo
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    I love my arc trainer! I have a cybex arc trainer in my home gym in the basement and it might be my favorite piece of cardio equipment.

Any tips to ensure I’m using it right & getting through most out of it ?
  • Dogmom1978
    Options

Any tips to ensure I’m using it right & getting through most out of it ?

Some people report foot numbness on it. It happens to me occasionally also. I lift my heels when that occurs.

It should be challenging. If you are just starting, go with a lower level. I have been using mine for 6 months and still only do level 4 on it for 15-20 min at a time. The nice thing about an arc trainer is you kind of can’t do it wrong. Meaning, there isn’t a concern with form except for the following: don’t hunch over the machine, dont hold onto the side rails (not going to lie I’ve done it to push myself up slightly and it makes it easier and hence defeats the purpose lol).

Go as fast as feels challenging without trying to go so fast that you feel like you’re going to die.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options

Thank you! I had been wanting to try it & was unsure how to log. I was gonna break down & ask & employee but I figured I’d try here first

Probably not a bad idea to have en employee demonstrate the use of the machine for you.

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options

Probably not a bad idea to have en employee demonstrate the use of the machine for you.

I don't have confidence that any PF employee will be able to provide anything beyond "your feet go here, you hold onto these handles, and your feet go back and forth"
  • Dogmom1978
    Options

I don't have confidence that any PF employee will be able to provide anything beyond "your feet go here, you hold onto these handles, and your feet go back and forth"

That was precisely what I was thinking! Good news, it’s not a complicated piece of cardio equipment, so other than feet here, hands here, pick a mode, there really isn’t much to it imo.
  • xodreamariexo
    Options

Yeah same lol exactly why I came here first
  • xodreamariexo
    Options

That was precisely what I was thinking! Good news, it’s not a complicated piece of cardio equipment, so other than feet here, hands here, pick a mode, there really isn’t much to it imo.

Ok cool I was mostly just wondering if there was a certain form or anything I should keep an eye out for to make sure Im getting the most out of it. For example if I'm not watching myself on the elliptical then before I know it I'll just be going with the momentum of the machine and not actually be doing any work.
  • Dogmom1978
    Options

Ok cool I was mostly just wondering if there was a certain form or anything I should keep an eye out for to make sure Im getting the most out of it. For example if I'm not watching myself on the elliptical then before I know it I'll just be going with the momentum of the machine and not actually be doing any work.

I like to do intermittent hills on mine and then the resistance changes periodically. Can’t really go with the momentum when I’m busy struggling with the resistance 😜
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options

On second thought, agreed. I hadn't initially noticed the colour of the equipment. They could probably get you a slice of pizza though....