Vibration Machine

Thinking of getting a vibrating exercise machine has anyone tried it is it any good? Will also do squats and other exercise on it. My main goal for this is to tone my bum and thighs. Reading a bit about it and some says it’s equivalent to 1 hour in the gym. Was thinking like 30 mins and squatting on it everyday has anyone seen results with theirs? Thanks

Replies

• Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    I used to use one in the gym I belonged to a few years ago. A few minutes was enough to make me feel ill. Now I just stick to doing squats and exercise on solid ground. You may get on well with it, but they're expensive for what may soon become a coat-hanger.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Most of those don't work unless the are making direct contact with muscles (any fat makes them ineffective). They also only make a small difference in the subset of the population who have very little body fat- pro athletes. Your "bum and thighs" would not get stronger or firmer, most likely.

Be skeptical of anything that is a "quick fix."
  • MrsTitus2
    MrsTitus2 Posts: 61 Member
    So I had an apartment manager who was a big lady. Then one day it was so noticeable that she lost weight. I asked her how she said some fish bone looking thing she put on her chair.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    I have one but its gathering dust LOL. I inherited it from a friends mum who used it to settle her restless legs!
    Personally I feel its better for us to get our heart rate up rather than rely on a gismo to shake us all about :smiley:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    whmscll wrote: »
    This sounds like the machine my mom had back in the late 60’s. You stood on it, wrapped a heavy belt around your waist and it was supposed to vibrate you thin. Needless to say, it didn’t do a damn thing for her, but boy us kids had fun when she wasn’t around.

You know how you hold your voice just so when you’re vibrating real hard and your voice goes uhuhuhuhuhuh? Better than any yoga ohms, lol.

This is the first thing I thought of when I read the title of this thread...

Because I've seen infomercials for this sort of thing, I had the same mental picture as you. Otherwise, :lol:
  • quemalosuerte
    quemalosuerte Posts: 234 Member
    My goodness, are we in a 1982 infomercial?
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    This is an old thread but my sister just bought one of these and is telling me 30 minutes on it is burning 200 calories (just standing) and she is all sweaty like she ran 5 miles. I laughed and have a hard time believing she is burning much more than just standing there but she wont listen to me. I said if they actually worked to burn so many calories, everyone would just stand on these all day and not work out, but she is obsessed with quick fixes like this.

Going to show her this thread, lol.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    This is an old thread but my sister just bought one of these and is telling me 30 minutes on it is burning 200 calories (just standing) and she is all sweaty like she ran 5 miles. I laughed and have a hard time believing she is burning much more than just standing there but she wont listen to me. I said if they actually worked to burn so many calories, everyone would just stand on these all day and not work out, but she is obsessed with quick fixes like this.

yeah, wishful thinking that 200 calories burn - good luck with bursting that bubble LOL
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited November 2020

Bought a good one for my wife last X-mas. Not for exercise but for inflammation. My son and my step son made fun of it. Then they got on it for 10 minutes. My son was a wrestler and soccer player in high school. He was surprised at how it made his body feel after only 10 minutes. The ones they have now are pretty strong.

I do 7 hours of cardio (intense training) a week. I was surprised at how they make you feel. Not sure it's exercise, but it definitely moves you more than you'd expect to keep balance.

I think they are nice compliment to exercise, especially for inflammation. But as a replacement? No, not at all.
  • nicgeek79
    nicgeek79 Posts: 1 Member

Bought a good one for my wife last X-mas. Not for exercise but for inflammation. My son and my step son made fun of it. Then they got on it for 10 minutes. My son was a wrestler and soccer player in high school. He was surprised at how it made his body feel after only 10 minutes. The ones they have now are pretty strong.

I do 7 hours of cardio (intense training) a week. I was surprised at how they make you N bfeel. Not sure it's exercise, but it definitely moves you more than you'd expect to keep Ben
    I think they are nnbbbbbbb nice compliment to exercise, especially for inflammation. But as a replacement? No, not at all.

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    nicgeek79 wrote: »

I do 7 hours of cardio (intense training) a week. I was surprised at how they make you N bfeel. Not sure it's exercise, but it definitely moves you more than you'd expect to keep Ben
    I think they are nnbbbbbbb nice compliment to exercise, especially for inflammation. But as a replacement? No, not at all.

Strange first post, a quote. lol