Calories of bread crust

2»

Replies

• SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,829 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Honestly though... 2 calories? 5 calories? 10 calories?

You're never going to get that precise with your logging. If you obsess that heavily with your logging, it's going to be unmanageable over the long term. If in doubt, pick the higher cals and move on.

I applaud you for your dedication but I think your focus may be a bit misdirected.

I have concerns with your dismissing contributions to one's tracking. The OP stated many slices of bread. How many is many? Vocabulary wise, many is not two. It is defined as "being one of a large but indefinite number". So if the OP is being accurate in their statement, I would state that eating a "large number" of bread crust should be tracked, while if it were the crust off one slice I would not worry. And I agree with other posters that the easiest solution is to track them by weight.

I'm not dismissing tracking entirely. I was just saying that in all reality the difference in calories between say 100g of crust vs 100g of crustless bread vs 100g of bread with both... is likely quite negligible.

If they scan the bar code on the bag and log what they ate based on weight... They'll probably be more than fine.

Most of our calorie inaccuracies come from people who just eyeball portions and assume 1 serving is three times more than what it is.

But it's no big deal... It was just my opinion. My apologies if it was not clear enough and thank you for your comment.

I thoroughly agree that the 100g of bread whether crusts or whole is very similar from a calorie point of view I think you and I each interpreted the Op's question differently. When I look back at it again, I have no clue which interpretation is correct. :)
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Bread dooms me. When good bread flour, water, salt and yeast get together and do their thing for a few hours, the resulting product and its lovely chewy crust call to the butter in the fridge and get together to undo me. Fresh bread, still warm from the oven with butter melting into it? Heaven.

I hear ya.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Bread dooms me. When good bread flour, water, salt and yeast get together and do their thing for a few hours, the resulting product and its lovely chewy crust call to the butter in the fridge and get together to undo me. Fresh bread, still warm from the oven with butter melting into it? Heaven.

I'm glad bread-making never became 'my thing' because I'd be in worse trouble than I am now. :/ I have a favorite bread, just a simple Italian off the shelf variety but even that, calls me to throw some in the toaster and slather with butter. Carbs. No matter what kind.
    When I ran a daycare, kids were notorious for leaving their crusts on the plate. Into the blender it'd all go, to be crumbed up for the birds. :) Even my dh refuses to eat the heels of a loaf so if I don't eat them, to the birds they go.
    When calories are important to me, I either avoid bread or buy the 45 cal. a slice kind.
  • kristinetetteh
    kristinetetteh Posts: 3 Member
    That's funny. I used to do that too. Tastes so good. But it's a sad waste. Some people would love to eat that slice of bread you are throwing away for their breakfast, lunch and dinner. 😢
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    That's funny. I used to do that too. Tastes so good. But it's a sad waste. Some people would love to eat that slice of bread you are throwing away for their breakfast, lunch and dinner. 😢

Reread the OP. Others in the household are apparently willing to eat the crustless slices. Nothing is being thrown away
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    Any way you slice it the crust is more dehydrated and/or has fat brushed on it. This it is more likely to have more calories per gram on average than the more moist inside of the bread. Whether this matters or not... depends! For most, it probably doesn't.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    edited November 2020
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

I'm glad bread-making never became 'my thing' because I'd be in worse trouble than I am now. :/ I have a favorite bread, just a simple Italian off the shelf variety but even that, calls me to throw some in the toaster and slather with butter. Carbs. No matter what kind.
    When I ran a daycare, kids were notorious for leaving their crusts on the plate. Into the blender it'd all go, to be crumbed up for the birds. :) Even my dh refuses to eat the heels of a loaf so if I don't eat them, to the birds they go.
    When calories are important to me, I either avoid bread or buy the 45 cal. a slice kind.

I left a high end Bosch bread mixer behind when I moved because I was eating WAY too much fresh bread. With LOTS of butter. I could have it on the table in two hours after I started.

For my new favorite recipe I have to start the night before, which really discourages impulse eating.

I mostly have store bought bread though. My OH won't eat the heels either. I do when I'm eating his bread (I usually get another brand for myself) but if I don't get to them I give them to the birds as well.

I think it speaks poorly of cultures who teach their children it is ok to waste food like that.*

*Now, I'm sure there is someone out there who has a legit neuro-atypical reason for not eating crusts or heels - that's not what I'm referring to.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member

Reread the OP. Others in the household are apparently willing to eat the crustless slices. Nothing is being thrown away

I think she was referring to the PP who sometimes gives heels to birds.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I think she was referring to the PP who sometimes gives heels to birds.

That's why people should use the quote function or @ tag someone. Odd to describe feeding birds as throwing bread away.