Anyone eat Chipotle regularly?

I recently had a Chipotle open near my house, walking distance. I surprisingly never had it until recently. I’ve been getting bowls with chicken, brown rice, black beans, fajita vegetables, corn salsa, and add guacamole.

Tastes great and I’ve tracked the calories and macros, albeit high calories I fit it in on days when I’m light on food.

My question is, since this place does everything manually (not pre made or portioned), would using their nutritional be correct? Anyone have any experience with constantly putting in your diet or work there with insight?

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    When I first started going to them about 20 years ago, they were much heavier handed. I would get a bowl of rice, beans, sometimes meat (carnitas or barbacoa), sometimes vegetarian, fajita veggies, corn salsa, green tomatillo salsa, and sour cream, and it would be a massive mound of food that felt like it weighed more than a pound. No matter how hungry I was, I don't think I ever managed to finish one.

Maybe 10 years later I noticed that the exact same order was definitely much smaller -- I'd guess the rice and beans, especially, were no more than half of what they had been serving previously. And the amounts seem more consistent from one visit to the next these days. I'm guessing that as the franchise matured, they instituted more training and controls on serving size, because that affects the bottom line. But I've noticed they're still pretty agreeable about giving people extra of most ingredients if they ask for it. I think the only thing there' s an explicit upcharge for is double protein, or two different proteins.

I would still keep an eye on it, and if it seemed like someone gave you more than the amounts accounted for in the nutritional information, log 1.5 servings or 2 servings or whatever. If you weigh your food at home, after a while it makes it easier to eyeball amounts when you're eating outside the home.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    When there was a Chipotle around the corner from work I ate there regularly. This was around 10 years ago and I could easily get two meals out of a burrito. Was planning on getting Chipotle tonight and am curious to see if the portions have remained the same.

This Chipotle is too far away to drive to regularly, but Uber Eats is nagging me to use a $30 promo, so that's what I'm going to do.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    I don't eat there regularly, but when I was working out of my office there was one very close, so it was on my rotation of quick lunch if I failed to bring one from home. I do keep an eye on their portions, as I'd heard they could be heavy handed, and mostly it's pretty standard, although the rice is the most likely to be excessive (and they might add more or less than usual if at the end of a batch of the beans or fajita veg). My preferred order is actually lower cal than what I might normally have for lunch: either a vegetarian bowl with brown rice, black beans, double fajita veg, tomatoes (the mild sauce), and then either the green or the hot, depending on mood; or else either the chicken or pork with either rice OR beans (usually I get just beans, since I like the fiber), and the rest the same, except usually just single fajita veg. On occasion if I have reason to have more cals, I add the guac, which is tasty but really ups the cals.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    I believe one burrito is generally 1800 calories depending on what’s in it. It is humongous and really more like 3 meals.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I believe one burrito is generally 1800 calories depending on what’s in it. It is humongous and really more like 3 meals.

It's really going to depend on what you get inside it. A burrito with my preferred ingredients, for example, is about 980 calorie. You can use the tool on their website to get a calorie estimate for your order. Can you build an 1,800 calorie burrito? Absolutely. But you can also be significantly lower.

OP, I used to eat there pretty regularly before I went WFH. I don't know if every location is this way, but mine seemed to be pretty standardized about the amount of each ingredient they put on. It didn't make an negative impact on my weight management to go with the estimate from their website. Obviously, there may be locations that aren't as standardized as others, but that's my experience.

• kshama2001
    The burritos we got last night were MUCH smaller than I remembered them.

Using the info on Chipotle's site, a chicken burrito with black beans, fajita veggies, sour cream, and cheese came to 870 calories.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    my fiancee used to work at chipotle. the nutrition info online is for their standard servings, which everyone is taught when they are hired. but obviously measuring cups are not being used on the line so actual amounts can vary quite a bit based on location, person, time of day, and even the manager on duty.

also, if you're getting a bowl with rice they ALWAYS go very heavy. I strongly recommend skipping rice if you're worried about the accuracy of your calorie count. in fact, anything that you're nervous about you can ask them to put on the side and then you can measure and add it yourself at home.
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    It's healthier fast food to be sure, but calories can quickly add up. The other thing to be aware of is that many of the salsas, carnitas and other ingredients come with high amounts of sodium. I once calculated the burrito I was ordering was in the neighborhood of 2500 mg.
  • lynn_glenmont

First of all, OP says he gets bowls, not burritos. When you do a burrito you're adding 320 calories just for the tortilla.

I usually get a bowl with rice, beans, fajita veggies, sour cream, the corn salsa and either the red chili or green tomatillo salsa, and it runs from 595 calories to 805 calories, depending on whether I keep it veggie or get barbaco or carnitas. I don't find cold shredded cheese sprinkled on top adds anything, and if I want guac I would just get chips and guac so I can taste it rather than have it get lost with all those other ingredients.

Second, where are you coming up with 1800 calories for a burrito?

To get up to 1800 calories, you would have to upgrade to a double portion of carnitas (the highest calorie protein) and include every single ingredient on the menu (rice, beans, guacamole, sour cream, monterey jack cheese, queso blanco, and all of the salsas). So it's possible, but it's hardly what "generally" comes out of the assembly line.

If I get a burrito, it runs 670 to 880, depending on whether I go veggie or get barbacoa or carnitas. I mostly get the same ingredients I put in the bowl, except I leave out the rice because rice plus tortilla is a lot of starchy neutral flavor for the other ingredients to try to cut through, and I might leave out the salsa, especially if they haven't done a good job of draining the beans and/or the meat, because I don't like a sloppy wet burrito that needs to be eaten with a knife and fork.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited November 2020
    You can build the burrito in MFP first to see calories, and note the weight of those servings all put together.
    Then weigh the burrito when you get home.

Always been heavier for me, but not by much. Pretty sure it wasn't the sour cream or lettuce either, making up the extra - little here, little there.

I take the extra % and increase the meat and beans serving size a little each - since that is the calorie dense portion usually.

They seem to be even more careful with guac though I don't get that.

Mine is 1030 per serving size. Upwards of 1200 with that little correction.
  • kshama2001

First of all, OP says he gets bowls, not burritos. When you do a burrito you're adding 320 calories just for the tortilla.

I usually get a bowl with rice, beans, fajita veggies, sour cream, the corn salsa and either the red chili or green tomatillo salsa, and it runs from 595 calories to 805 calories, depending on whether I keep it veggie or get barbaco or carnitas. I don't find cold shredded cheese sprinkled on top adds anything, and if I want guac I would just get chips and guac so I can taste it rather than have it get lost with all those other ingredients.

To get up to 1800 calories, you would have to upgrade to a double portion of carnitas (the highest calorie protein) and include every single ingredient on the menu (rice, beans, guacamole, sour cream, monterey jack cheese, queso blanco, and all of the salsas). So it's possible, but it's hardly what "generally" comes out of the assembly line.

If I get a burrito, it runs 670 to 880, depending on whether I go veggie or get barbacoa or carnitas. I mostly get the same ingredients I put in the bowl, except I leave out the rice because rice plus tortilla is a lot of starchy neutral flavor for the other ingredients to try to cut through, and I might leave out the salsa, especially if they haven't done a good job of draining the beans and/or the meat, because I don't like a sloppy wet burrito that needs to be eaten with a knife and fork.

I get the bowls as well. (The burritos I mentioned above were for my OH.)

I also get chips and guac when I want guac.

When I get chips, I definitely leave out the rice, and often just leave out the rice for the same reason as you do.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

When I get chips, I definitely leave out the rice, and often just leave out the rice for the same reason as you do.

I also get the bowls, and (usually) have rice only if not having meat. My usual order (described above) was about 420 cals, which as noted is about the cals I usually have for lunch if I bring it myself (back when I went to the office). Chipotle definitely is higher sodium, but eh, it's once in a while, and I have no blood pressure issues. (I did find it tasted saltier than I remembered when I happened to get it when at the office a few weeks ago.)
  • LucasLean
    LucasLean Posts: 100 Member
    I found their online calculator to be accurate, but some people that work there give more food than others. I don't worry about it. It can't be far off (unless you notice it looks WAY different...I never really have except maybe once, when I wasn't paying attention and it was very busy). It seems consistent.

I get the bowl like you, but I get double chicken and no guac.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I also get the bowls, and (usually) have rice only if not having meat. My usual order (described above) was about 420 cals, which as noted is about the cals I usually have for lunch if I bring it myself (back when I went to the office). Chipotle definitely is higher sodium, but eh, it's once in a while, and I have no blood pressure issues. (I did find it tasted saltier than I remembered when I happened to get it when at the office a few weeks ago.)

"At the office." It's like you're telling a story about climbing a beanstalk and encountering giants and a goose that lays golden eggs. :smile:

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Is a vegan, I get a bowl with sofrita (tofu) and black beans, double the lettuce, and then some salsa, cilantro, tomatoes, and olives. Avoiding the rice, tortillas, cheese, quacamole and sour cream helps control calories, and adding plenty of Cholula and a good squeeze of lime makes that extra lettuce feel more substantial
  • xodreamariexo
    xodreamariexo Posts: 63 Member
    edited November 2020
    I go about once every week or two & I noticed that my serving sizes are always the same for the most part. I get a bowl with chicken or steak, lettuce, brown rice, light pinto beans, corn salsa, & cheese. I wanna say it ranges from 630-670??? Depending which meat. If I’m having a cheat meal I’ll get a tortilla on the side & make a burrito out of half the bowl.

PRO TIP
    If you usually get a burrito, get a bowl with the tortilla on the side. You’ll get way more filling

Typing this made me realize, I wonder if the calories are different for the same ingredient depending if you choose bowl or burrito. I definitely noticed a difference in scoop sizes when I used to get burritos more often
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I go about once every week or two & I noticed that my serving sizes are always the same for the most part. I get a bowl with chicken or steak, lettuce, brown rice, light pinto beans, corn salsa, & cheese. I wanna say it ranges from 630-670??? Depending which meat. If I’m having a cheat meal I’ll get a tortilla on the side & make a burrito out of half the bowl.

PRO TIP
    If you usually get a burrito, get a bowl with the tortilla on the side. You’ll get way more filling

Typing this made me realize, I wonder if the calories are different for the same ingredient depending if you choose bowl or burrito. I definitely noticed a difference in scoop sizes when I used to get burritos more often

Well - that's the kicker - it's supposed to be the same serving size no matter what - you are obviously getting more in bowl then - and getting more calories than you'd expect.
  • I eat there quite a bit and it used to be that the portions were much larger than the serving sizes in the database. They’ve shrunk, but sometimes when you get a rebel behind the counter they’re bigger. If I have a huge amount of calories and and I’m hungry I’ll eat a whole chicken bowl.

What I’ve been doing LATELY is ordering a kids’ build your own with chicken, pico and black beans with the kid chips. I order sides of guac and hot salsa. I save the tortillas it comes with to make quesadillas at home for my daughter and give her my kid apple juice. 😆 (Not sure if it’s official policy or not, but I’ve asked if it’s ok to order from the kids’ menu and I’ve always been told yes. Besides, my son who is an actual child always orders a grownup bowl.)

In the past I’ve ordered a bowl with all of the toppings on the side so I can go home and split that bowl into 2 or 3 portions, but I tend not to weigh my Chipotle anymore, except for chips (because I love them and they’re easy for me to overdo!)