Tired of ppl stating the obvious

Options
I run into family members that I haven't seen in a while and the first thing that they like to point out is the obvious "MY WEIGHT" How about a co worker or old friend..... 'My Weight" .....I love old people but something just shouldn't be said and i understand they are wise but I am not blind....Somehow in all of that it was a positive thing because it motivated me to change the way people see me. I cried many nights but came to realize that "CRYING WILL NOT BURN THIS FAT" and so I am going to fight!!! I am on this site looking for other people who have been hurt by other peoples word or negative views and is truly ready to change. please add me if you are serious!!!

Replies

• krysydawn
    krysydawn Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    My friends and I called that "word ninjas"... the people who walk up, drop a bomb and walk away... the bomb being words that stick with you even after the person has left... yep.. word ninjas!
  • lukesmama
    lukesmama Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Those people suck. Change for you not them or you will not succeed.
  • Scarletblue
    Options
    word ninja's I love that
  • MsInsanity
    MsInsanity Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    OMG yup it hurts enough to have it's own term! Sometimes I feel like everyone is staring at me. I didn't go to my 5 year HS reunion because I know how much I have gained and it's nothing to show off.....plus I wanted to avoid the "word ninja's" lol
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I guess we have to just think some people either enjoy hurting people's feelings because it makes them feel better about their own shortcomings or problems, or they just have no clue what good social manners are. Don't let them bring you down. Most people wish they were thinner, better looking, more educated, whatever. . . but if you put some effort into a personal goal you should feel good about yourself for your efforts. And all in all, the best thing to be is a nice person, and these people are missing that.
  • MsInsanity
    Options
    That is so true, many times before I was changing for them but this time it for me! To bring up my self esteem and to feel good going shopping and my wedding that's coming up! I want to look great in that dress...lol
  • MARI1010
    MARI1010 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    YEP I HATE THAT. IS LIKE OH REALLY YOU DONT SAY CAUSE I TRULY HAVENT NOTICED THAT IVE GAINED A SH%^& LOAD OF WEIGHT. I GUESS SINCE IVE HEARD THAT SO MUCH IM VERY SENSITIVE TO OTHERS FEELINGS AND I WOULD NEVER BE SO BLUNT AND HURTFUL. BUT AS A MATTER OF FACT FRIENDS WHO ARE TWICE MY SIZE WILL CRITIQUE ME EVERY CHANCE THEY GET. BUT I JUST CANT DO IT IN RETURN. UNLESS THEY REALLY PUSH MY BUTTONS THEN ILL LIGHTLY DROP ONE ON EM.
  • Mama_CAEI
    Options
    Don't worry...soon it will be the complete opposite: everyone you run into will comment on how much weight you've lost since they last saw you. You can do it!!!
  • MsInsanity
    Options
    Thank You for the much needed inspiration! I try to avoid people like that at all cost because they are made for destruction....but it sucks when some of them are family....
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I gained quite a few pounds when I was in middle school, and my extended family members, when Id see them, would always comment on my weight. Yes very hurtful, and inconsiderate, but one thing I always remember now is not to compare myself to others. Always helps. Just do your thing, and good luck!
  • MsInsanity
    Options
    lol. Yeah it doesn't help to return neg.! It will help the way you feel at the moment tho...lol There have been so many times i wanted to say hey stop worrying about my weight and look in your mouth, get a job, pay a bill, or something....
  • MARI1010
    MARI1010 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Family are usually the biggest critics. they think they do it for our own good but its really just very hurtfull and humiliating. their comments never ever motivated me only made me feel worse about myself and force me to eat more.
  • MsInsanity
    Options
    I gained quite a few pounds when I was in middle school, and my extended family members, when Id see them, would always comment on my weight. Yes very hurtful, and inconsiderate, but one thing I always remember now is not to compare myself to others. Always helps. Just do your thing, and good luck!

Thank You ....I try to look at MFP success stories everyday for motivation
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, those tape recordings in your head, that repeat every nasty word that has ever been said, the naturally born tiny relative that brags about loosing weight and then stares at you. Practice answering those comments with your own positive statements, like, "I am not my weight", "I can change", " I am the best ME there is" and one day at a time take care of you (no matter what anyone else says). Don't think of yourself a old banged up Pinto, think of yourself as a Ferrari. You don't put just anything into a Ferrari and you have to run it hard to keep it tuned up, People may still make comments like you are the Pinto, but YOU know the truth, YOU are a Ferrari.
  • MsInsanity
    Options
    Family are usually the biggest critics. they think they do it for our own good but its really just very hurtfull and humiliating. their comments never ever motivated me only made me feel worse about myself and force me to eat more.

For a long time I did also...I stop attending family events because it ruined my whole day but I keep them in the back of my mind to have the last laugh when I look and feel amazing and I am trying to have confidence out this world that I will succeed this time! (after many failed fad diets)
  • englangrover
    Options
    I run into family members that I haven't seen in a while and the first thing that they like to point out is the obvious "MY WEIGHT" How about a co worker or old friend..... 'My Weight" .....I love old people but something just shouldn't be said and i understand they are wise but I am not blind....Somehow in all of that it was a positive thing because it motivated me to change the way people see me. I cried many nights but came to realize that "CRYING WILL NOT BURN THIS FAT" and so I am going to fight!!! I am on this site looking for other people who have been hurt by other peoples word or negative views and is truly ready to change. please add me if you are serious!!!

Good for you. You change for yourself and nobody else. You are going to do fantastic. I will be your cheerleader :)
  • MsInsanity
    Options
    Oh yeah, those tape recordings in your head, that repeat every nasty word that has ever been said, the naturally born tiny relative that brags about loosing weight and then stares at you. Practice answering those comments with your own positive statements, like, "I am not my weight", "I can change", " I am the best ME there is" and one day at a time take care of you (no matter what anyone else says). Don't think of yourself a old banged up Pinto, think of yourself as a Ferrari. You don't put just anything into a Ferrari and you have to run it hard to keep it tuned up, People may still make comments like you are the Pinto, but YOU know the truth, YOU are a Ferrari.

THAT SAME SITUATION HAPPEN TO ME!!!!I am loving it!!!! I am a FERRARI...LOL
  • Scarletblue
    Options
    I looked at your pics you look great, and you have curves that i'd kill for, you are also young so if you can learn to eat healthy and maintain a healthy lifestyle you are ahead of the game and will spend the best years feeling good in mind, body, and soul.
  • MsInsanity
    Options

Good for you. You change for yourself and nobody else. You are going to do fantastic. I will be your cheerleader :)
    [/quote

THANK YOU...AND I CAN BE YOURS IN RETURN!!!
  • THISisTARRAN
    THISisTARRAN Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    OMGoodness! I can share a story about when I was pregnant. I was already overweight and I admittedly wasn't too far along in my pregnancy. I was at work helping a customer (old man) and he, his wife and I were talking about what they do or used to do for a living. He was telling me how he is an engineer. The conversation was nice for maybe 10 minutes and then he asked if I know where 119 & Metcalf is and I said, "Yeah I live right by there" he says something like "Well I have a nutrition business there, it is nutrition counselling, we help people lose weight." I was like "Oh really that is cool." I am not sure if it didn't click or I didn't want to realize what he was getting at, but I always like to give people the benefit of the doubt. So a few awkward seconds pass by and he says "You know if you want to come by some time you should, I can probably help you and give you a discount maybe" Before I could take a breath or he could even expect a response I said sterny, "I'm pregnant" and the air went dead...no one said another word. =/ It didn't feel very good that he said that, even though I was pregnant.