Anyone do 10-35,000 steps a day?

Replies

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    sjlsjll wrote: »
    Wow. I am in an area (France) where we can only exercise/walk outside for 1 hour and at most 1km per day. So for me, it is not possible to get in 10,000 steps. I do the max allowed though and usually manage about between 6,000 and 7000 steps.

US here and I’m sorry, but I don’t quite understand the one hour limitation. Why are you only allowed outside for one hour? And who exactly would stop you from being out longer???

I expect it's the Covid lockdown rules.

The rules vary (and change) but in some European countries you need a valid reason to be out and it can be be checked by police.

Yeah that I know. But if they’re allowed out for an hr, I was wondering how anyone would know if you were out for longer than one hour....
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Wow. I am in an area (France) where we can only exercise/walk outside for 1 hour and at most 1km per day. So for me, it is not possible to get in 10,000 steps. I do the max allowed though and usually manage about between 6,000 and 7000 steps.

US here and I’m sorry, but I don’t quite understand the one hour limitation. Why are you only allowed outside for one hour? And who exactly would stop you from being out longer???

The rules vary (and change) but in some European countries you need a valid reason to be out and it can be be checked by police.

Yeah that I know. But if they’re allowed out for an hr, I was wondering how anyone would know if you were out for longer than one hour....

I have a friend who moved back to France who said that this one hour rule is really hard. You have to make the most of your hour. He said that you write the time you left your house (in pen) on a paper and that's your documentation (!). I can't imagine that working in the US, but my experience living in Europe for years was that most folks will adhere to a social contract.
  • Dogmom1978

I have a friend who moved back to France who said that this one hour rule is really hard. You have to make the most of your hour. He said that you write the time you left your house (in pen) on a paper and that's your documentation (!). I can't imagine that working in the US, but my experience living in Europe for years was that most folks will adhere to a social contract.

OMG this would be a disaster in the US. People would riot in the streets!

I would just have multiple papers on me with different start times 😜
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,780 Member
    I try to hit at least 10k a day. my job went from being very busy and walking quite a bit, to being primarily a desk job. I get up everymorning and run on the treadmill, I used to run outside when I was marathon training, but I have anxiety and have run across a few sketchy people duing runs, also I have 4 kids and a full time job so the only time I have free is really early or really late, so typically I am up at 430am, run 1.5 miles on the treadmill then weightlift. then try to make sure I get my steps in throughout the day, even if that means pacing in my office, hahaha
  • IronIsMyTherapy
    IronIsMyTherapy Posts: 482 Member
    I probably have less than 10 days in a year where I'm more than 10k, lol.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,809 Member
    I did a challenge for a month a couple years ago where I tracked the number of steps I take. Turns out I get about 10,000 steps a day just normally without any particular extra effort during the week.

I walk as part of my commute.
    I walk to do errands.
    I try to go for a walk at lunch.
    I get up and walk frequently throughout the day.
    I often go for a walk after work.

Go for a 5 km (approx. 1 hour) walk at lunch, add in some extra walking before and after work, and you're there.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    35,000 for me is a big day in the mountains. I've been known to carry a change of shoes and socks, depending where I'm going. Small backpack with water, warm clothes, flashlight, signal mirror, and other stuff depending where I'm going and what I might need.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I walk in place at home a lot. This would really help those in other countries with outside limitations. I have a step tracker on my phone and put it on first thing when I get up. I do a cardio workout, go to work, then do another run or walk or something after work. I do have dogs, and they get walked on leash at least on the weekends. When I want more steps, I walk or jog in place while watching YouTube or tv.
  • Chrisjbrawn
    Chrisjbrawn Posts: 28 Member
    I can sometimes do 20k before leaving work depending on the day
  • DancingMoosie

How long does that take?
  • Dogmom1978

How long does that take?

When I worked at amazon as an area manager I sometimes did over 25k a day (10-12 hr shift). I worked in a 1.1 million sq ft building and without fail, if I was at one end of the building, I was needed for something at the other end.

My current job has better work/life balance, but I only walk around 3k by the time I leave work (sedentary desk job). I gained some weight before I learned to compensate with eating fewer calories and exercising more after work.
  • DancingMoosie
    I thought he meant before leaving FOR work, lol. Now I see it was meant for the day.
  • cyaneverfat
    cyaneverfat Posts: 527 Member
    I thought he meant before leaving FOR work, lol. Now I see it was meant for the day.

That's how I read it too lol
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    edited November 2020
    I probably have less than 10 days in a year where I'm more than 10k, lol.

Ditto. This does not mean I'm not very active, it just means my activities don't include as many steps as straight walking, for instance, gardening, weight lifting, yoga, etc.
  • My previous job was managing a 30,000 square foot building materials thrift-store. I would walk 20-30k routinely and more on busy days. It was not good for me. Not for my body or my mind. I was physically depleted and ate like a beast at lunch and when I got home. I currently work at a desk and have to really focus on racking up steps by going to the furthest bathroom, walking over lunch and giving the dog extra walks in the evening.
    in a 1.1 million sq ft building and without fail, if I was at one end of the building, I was needed for something at the other end.

^That's a slice of my old life I do not miss^

• cyaneverfat
    This is really hard to do in summer! I'm not a big fan of the treadmill. The one at home slips a bit under my feet and freaks me out.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,809 Member
    This is really hard to do in summer! I'm not a big fan of the treadmill. The one at home slips a bit under my feet and freaks me out.

I would have thought the summer would be the best time to go out walking.
  • cyaneverfat
    Machka9 wrote: »

I would have thought the summer would be the best time to go out walking.

It's not, because I don't like to get all hot and sweaty, I chaff and I hate wearing sunscreen or getting burnt. I do love the longer days though. I tend to sleep in so I can't walk the dog early in the morning, and in the evening, it's not always cool enough to walk.

Daylight savings is over next month, so I'll be able to walk all daylight hours again :-)

• LindaRN83
    LindaRN83 Posts: 156 Member
    I average 15000 steps per day by walking in the house, on the treadmill and outside on the driveway or on the country road we live on. Love to walk!

I am retired and 72 years old.
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    I wear the correct shoes and haul butt through my 5 mile walk. I don't stop and bring a bunch of stuff that interrupts buisness.... if I die, I die. I find stops enable quitting for me personally. Listen to loud music. I walk through my community and the park.