Just can't loose anything

Options
I don't eat crap, I exercise everyday and I'm always under my calories 1,900. But the scale isn't shifting and I'm not loosing any inches either. I'm trying to eat more to make up my calories but I struggle to do this I normally get between 1,300-1,700 if I force myself to eat but I'm not hungry. What can I do because I'm stuck at 16st 12 and I size 18. It's killing my motivation now

Replies

• AndreaTamira
    AndreaTamira Posts: 272 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    So, there are the generic questions that have to get out of the way first. Don't take them personally if your reaction is "yeah, I do that anyway." or " yeah, I know that."

How long have you been plateauing? If it's just 1, 2 weeks you may not need to change anything, but just wait it out.

How do you measure your calorie intake? Do you guestimated, usdevcups and other volume measures, or use scales. - Generally scales will be more accurate. How you measure one tablespoon of peanut butter and how I measure the same might differ by quite a bit, but 15 gram are always the same.

How much have you lost before that plateau? If it is more than 3 kg of thereabouts, did you decide to recalculate your calorie goals? You may need to take in less calories to maintain your weight loss rate than when you started things.

How sure are you you need 1900 calories a day? Maybe you are overestimating your activity level or how many calories your exercises burn, and that is the problem.

---

Also, dont give up. Weight loss can be a bit trial and error. But you can figure things out and get thd scale moving again. Really!
  • crystalbluewolf13
    crystalbluewolf13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    How long have you been stuck?

How much exercise are you doing each day?

Are you using a food scale?[/quote]

About 2 months, I do calastetics every morning and as much walking as I can. Yes I weigh everything
  • crystalbluewolf13
    Options
    So, there are the generic questions that have to get out of the way first. Don't take them personally if your reaction is "yeah, I do that anyway." or " yeah, I know that."

How long have you been plateauing? If it's just 1, 2 weeks you may not need to change anything, but just wait it out.

How do you measure your calorie intake? Do you guestimated, usdevcups and other volume measures, or use scales. - Generally scales will be more accurate. How you measure one tablespoon of peanut butter and how I measure the same might differ by quite a bit, but 15 gram are always the same.

How much have you lost before that plateau? If it is more than 3 kg of thereabouts, did you decide to recalculate your calorie goals? You may need to take in less calories to maintain your weight loss rate than when you started things.

How sure are you you need 1900 calories a day? Maybe you are overestimating your activity level or how many calories your exercises burn, and that is the problem.

---

Also, dont give up. Weight loss can be a bit trial and error. But you can figure things out and get thd scale moving again. Really!

About 2 months. I weigh or measure everything using measuring devices and scales. I've only lost 4lb. I got the 1900 based on my bmr
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

---

About 2 months. I weigh or measure everything using measuring devices and scales. I've only lost 4lb. I got the 1900 based on my bmr

What are you weighing with “measuring devices” that aren’t a scale??? Odds are very good that those “measuring devices” are inaccurate and you are consuming more calories than you think you are.

Have you lost 4 lbs in 2 months? If so, you are losing .5 a week on average. Tighten up the tracking and you will most likely lose more.
  • Dogmom1978
    Options
    Also, if you exercise, don’t overestimate your exercise calories. That is another common mistake that people make.
  • crystalbluewolf13
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »

---

What are you weighing with “measuring devices” that aren’t a scale??? Odds are very good that those “measuring devices” are inaccurate and you are consuming more calories than you think you are.

Have you lost 4 lbs in 2 months? If so, you are losing .5 a week on average. Tighten up the tracking and you will most likely lose more.

Measuring cups, measuring scales, jugs, measuring spoons. And I don't eat back exercise calories as I don't add them to my diary
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Use a scale and weigh everything solid. Even things like a slice of bread - surprise they don't all weigh the same even though the label implies they do. Only use cups/spoons for liquids. Solid food is not accurately 'measured' so that is why the food scale is useful.

Log your consumption based on weight in grams. Account for cooking oils, beverages, etc. Try not to 'taste' while cooking - those tastes add up, and its impossible to track accurately. If you have small children, try to avoid having bites of their food as well.

If you often eat food made by others (friends, family, restaurants) then try to be more involved in your own food prep. Eating food made by others requires estimation, and right now accuracy is your goal since you're not happy with your rate of loss.
  • Dogmom1978
    Options

---

Measuring cups, measuring scales, jugs, measuring spoons. And I don't eat back exercise calories as I don't add them to my diary

^^^

This! Measuring cups, spoons, etc are wildly “inaccurate” in the sense that you can really pack a measuring cup full and you can really have a heaping tablespoon of something. Use a food scale. If you don’t have one, buy one. You can get one at Walmart for around $20.

I can almost guarantee that you are eating more than you think you are. And depending on your exercise level, you probably should track it and eat a portion back so that you don’t burn out, unless of course, you set yourself to highly active and that is why you don’t track it. If it’s the latter, you’re eating them back anyway as you will get a higher calorie goal for the day.
  • GabiV125
    GabiV125 Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    @crystalbluewolf13 - I’ve been you, January to August I jumped the same 2lb up and down, but nothing more. I’ve been determined, frustrated, resigned, you name it, and still no results.
    In August I realized that many people seem to have a problem with maintenance and somehow that’s the part that I learned and practiced well, so chucked it as intended maintenance and close that door (for now).
    Now I’m into the 4th month of learning how to lose weight and all the posts above me covered that well.

Wish you great patience and good luck in your journey!
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Maybe try intermittent fasting, I think maybe your calories are too high I cannot lose above 1600 calories
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Maybe try intermittent fasting, I think maybe your calories are too high I cannot lose above 1600 calories

Lol no.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

---

This is why. Use a food scale.
  • Snugbug6
    Snugbug6 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Are you including literally everything that passes your lips? Including all liquids that aren't water?
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Sorry but 1 more time, are you weighing everything except liquids?

How often do you encounter calorie counting gray areas in the course of a week? Restaurants, social functions? Meals you don’t prepare? You can keep tinkering under the hood until you find an answer.

Or try it this way. Regardless of how you come up with the numbers, do you think you are counting consistently? If yes, then forget the calculators and pick a number. You already know that you maintain between 1300 and 1700 calories. But that’s a big spread. What’s your weekly average over these 2 months? But find what you think is a maintenance number and cut 100 calories per day from that. Try that for a month and see where you are.

Our bodies are designed to lose weight in a calorie deficit. But the calculators have limits. They are based on statistics and averages. But no one is exactly average. Add to that the fact that there are always counting gray areas and we are left with an imprecise system. Buts it’s all we’ve got. It all gets down to trial and error.

Keep trying. There is a long calorie counting learning curve. You will figure this out.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    Don't get in your own way. There is a logical reason why you're stuck. It could be just a simple tweak you need to make to get losing again. You could be eating 100 calories too much a day. Something as simple as one little thing you're eating. Also,. if you've lost a good amount. you're body could just be taking a break and adjusting. Losing weight is automatic.. it takes time..

Don't self destruct and feel like giving up. That's the devil on your shoulder. You can do this!
  • crystalbluewolf13
    Options
    Snugbug6 wrote: »
    Are you including literally everything that passes your lips? Including all liquids that aren't water?

Yes
  • Dogmom1978
    Options
    Snugbug6 wrote: »

Yes

No you aren’t as you said above that you don’t use a food scale. Measure half a cup of oatmeal for example in a measuring cup, then weigh that same half cup (I tried this experiment this morning as an FYI), my “1/2 cup” measured was a serving and a half instead of the serving it was supposed to be.

Weigh with a food scale, it will be eye opening!
  • TakeTheLongWayHome
    TakeTheLongWayHome Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Get a bigger wrench. Sometimes taking a torch to it and heating it up will help too.