Oatmeal for breakfast makes me feel hungry?

Options
2»

Replies

• inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Technically, oatmeal does have protein in it. What type of oatmeal re we talking about - instant, sugared?

I'm not the OP, but when I ate oatmeal I would eat steel cut oats from a big ol' tub, unsweetened, cooked with water. I'd be hungry an hour and half later. Frown.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I can't do oatmeal for breakfast even though I love it. I doctor it all up with nuts, chia seeds and have even tried it with plenty of fat hoping to slow down the digestion but I just process it too fast. I have to have protein for breakfast or I'm just ravenous all day. Edited to say that I use whole oat groats or flake them myself so we're not talking processed here.
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    That is what happens with low fat/high carb dieting. You are hungry quickly and not satisfied for long. One of the reasons I do the very opposite, even though I used to like eating oatmeal.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Technically, oatmeal does have protein in it. What type of oatmeal re we talking about - instant, sugared?

I'm not the OP, but when I ate oatmeal I would eat steel cut oats from a big ol' tub, unsweetened, cooked with water. I'd be hungry an hour and half later. Frown.

Well, honestly, if I ate ONLY oats, I would be hungry, too. But I add several other things to it to boost fats, protein, etc. Tastier and I get a wider variety of nutrients. So, making it more of a meal rather than an item, I guess, makes it filling - for me, anyway.
  • wickedkitty
    wickedkitty Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Try adding a small snack like nuts when you get hungry or just go ahead and add the nuts to your oatmeal. Balancing your meals and keeping them within your daily range is tough, but keep playing around with it until you get it right. Also, oatmeal may not be a good choice for you at breakfast, try some eggs instead.
  • ressa8
    Options
    I have been eating regular whole grain instant oatmel Omega-3 and adding fresh blueberries. This morning I made a protein shake and feel much better and fuller. Thanks everyone for your awesome replies!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't like or eat oatmeal, but I usually feel hungry sooner when I eat anything for breakfast, which is why I rarely do.
  • Texmom_2003
    Options
    Yes! I do feel the same, hence I am trying to find an answer. I am glad I am not the only one.