Combatting Stress Eating

Options
Still on my typical yo-yo, but trying to figure out how to combat it for a lifetime. I’m reaching out for suggestions and help with working through stress eating. The stress is likely not to go away any time soon. Maybe a better coping mechanism?

I’ve tried a lot of different paths, and am aware of the problem. I just don’t know how to effectively overcome it.

Please help!

Tim

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    What coping methods have you tried? And why do you think they didn't work? Distraction is generally the first thing to do but I'd be interested to hear what you've already tried so that different ideas can be suggested.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Maybe a better coping mechanism?

There's no "Maybe" that's the only thing that's going to work long term.

Without coming across as too nosy, what sort of stress are we talking - work, general life, family, health?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Not a lot of info to go on.

You are going to have to recognize your triggers, and replace the coping mechanism with something else.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    More specifics would be helpful.

This is an issue for me too, and basically being as aware and mindful of it as possible is what works for me. Thinking through my impulses and identifying it as a reaction to stress. Journaling was helpful, but I realize that won't appeal to all.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Well a man that’s a customer he buys his deli meats and cheeses in quarter pound portions as well as salads ( Amish Mac, chicken salad, potato salad etc) that way he won’t overeat it he can’t eat something that isn’t there as he put it he’d have to go back to. And perhaps if you feel this way have two glasses of water and get you some fun teas to drink ( makes it more appealing to me) there’s a lot of flavors and 0 calories. Like peach ginger, chai, lemon verbena, licorice, there’s even some with chocolate, mulled cider, orange and even berries! I have started to do this when I urge to snack and it helps.
  • LivinLifeHealthy84
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    What coping methods have you tried? And why do you think they didn't work? Distraction is generally the first thing to do but I'd be interested to hear what you've already tried so that different ideas can be suggested.

Mainly tried controlling the eating. Besides that, meditation, journaling, yoga, lifting, etc to help with stress relief.

• LivinLifeHealthy84
    Options

Without coming across as too nosy, what sort of stress are we talking - work, general life, family, health?

Basically all of the above. Work needs to change, but currently can’t, family, kids, building a house, my health is the sacrifice.

• LivinLifeHealthy84
    Options
    Not a lot of info to go on.

You are going to have to recognize your triggers, and replace the coping mechanism with something else.

I guess that’s what I’m trying to figure out. Stressful situations, boredom, anger, headaches all trigger me to go find a snack. I’m not sure what other immediate type options there are? That’s typically the issue. Spur of the moment type stuff.

• LivinLifeHealthy84
    Options
    Well a man that’s a customer he buys his deli meats and cheeses in quarter pound portions as well as salads ( Amish Mac, chicken salad, potato salad etc) that way he won’t overeat it he can’t eat something that isn’t there as he put it he’d have to go back to. And perhaps if you feel this way have two glasses of water and get you some fun teas to drink ( makes it more appealing to me) there’s a lot of flavors and 0 calories. Like peach ginger, chai, lemon verbena, licorice, there’s even some with chocolate, mulled cider, orange and even berries! I have started to do this when I urge to snack and it helps.

I know i could do that, but I also try to have options available for the other family members. They don’t have the food issues and will only eat when hungry. Kind of their natural emotion towards food is not like mine.

• LivinLifeHealthy84
    Options
    This has been a significant source of trouble for me and even though I would like to say that this will go away, I think it is something I will always have to keep an eye on.

Yes, food is often used as a way to comfort oneself in times of stress and of course, there are other ways to cope with stress other than eating. However, many of us have turned to food as a source of comfort and it's not easy to break these habits, so until a new coping mechanism is replaced and turned to as frequently as turning to food had been, there will always be a signal to cope with what's familiar. This is what makes new habits difficult to stick to but also why it's so important to begin practicing a new coping strategy because it takes time to adhere.

Distractions may work temporarily but I think there are two things to work on immediately. First, identify the source of the stress and try to resolve it. I know that this isn't easy, but maybe there is something that can be done to eliminate what is causing so much of a burden. Also, make sure to sleep well and drink an adequate amount of water. As I'm sure you're aware, be sure to get a sufficient diet! If you're not eating enough and are not properly fueling your body, you're going to be more prone to overeat when given the opportunity.

So my advice: 1) find out the source of the stress and try to alleviate it, 2) begin a new coping strategy that you haven't tried and keep trying to find one that works for you. Once you do, use it as often as you can and replace your habit of eating to fill the void. 3) Sleep well, drink enough water, and eat nutritious foods that satiate you.

Finally, consider seeing a therapist to help you work on your relationship with food.

I’m definitely on the same page.

1. I definitely know the stressors and triggers, but aren’t really able to change them. Building a house with a deadline, financial worries, kids, work sucks and I can’t change it because I wouldn’t be able to get the mortgage when the house is done, etc etc. it goes on into my entire life story haha.
    2. I’m not sure how to best go about finding new habits and putting them to lasting results.
    3. Support system is basically non existent besides my wife and she can only do / be so much. Don’t even know how to change that.
    4. Therapy is not an option due to finances at the moment.
  • LivinLifeHealthy84
    Options
    Thank you all for the care to respond btw. Means a lot! :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options

Mainly tried controlling the eating. Besides that, meditation, journaling, yoga, lifting, etc to help with stress relief.

Are you lifting regularly and getting the yoga or other forms of exercise on the non-lifting days? These are great tools - wanted to make sure you are actually using them regularly as I have struggled with turning tools into habits.

Also want to make sure you are getting enough protein and fiber (or whatever satiates you) - when I am low on protein and am stressed I can eat and eat and eat snacky foods and never feel satisfied.

Under ordinary circumstances, regular exercise helps tremendously with my mental health, and I increase exercise for times of increased stress. But this year has been extraordinarily challenging.

Before I go into my whole mental health journey for this year I wanted to make sure you have the above dialed in.
  • LivinLifeHealthy84
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Are you lifting regularly and getting the yoga or other forms of exercise on the non-lifting days? These are great tools - wanted to make sure you are actually using them regularly as I have struggled with turning tools into habits.

Also want to make sure you are getting enough protein and fiber (or whatever satiates you) - when I am low on protein and am stressed I can eat and eat and eat snacky foods and never feel satisfied.

Under ordinary circumstances, regular exercise helps tremendously with my mental health, and I increase exercise for times of increased stress. But this year has been extraordinarily challenging.

Before I go into my whole mental health journey for this year I wanted to make sure you have the above dialed in.

Short answer is no. I used to have a bit of a routine, but the house build, moving, actually doing the construction work myself evenings and weekends has torn a big hole in even being able to have a routine.

The protein and fiber is a great point. My problem is with less time I think less about food so I grab crap a lot. I do need to refocus my choices for sure.
  • kshama2001
    Options

Short answer is no. I used to have a bit of a routine, but the house build, moving, actually doing the construction work myself evenings and weekends has torn a big hole in even being able to have a routine.

The protein and fiber is a great point. My problem is with less time I think less about food so I grab crap a lot. I do need to refocus my choices for sure.

Ok, if you are doing the construction you are getting plenty of exercise :)

Do see if getting more protein and fiber helps. Fiber is not in the default settings but you can swap out something like Sodium or Sugar for it.

I feel fuller on 500 calories of chicken, potato, broccoli and butter than I do with 1000 calories of pizza.
  • LivinLifeHealthy84
    Options

Do see if getting more protein and fiber helps. Fiber is not in the default settings but you can swap out something like Sodium or Sugar for it.

I feel fuller on 500 calories of chicken, potato, broccoli and butter than I do with 1000 calories of pizza.

Definitely agree with that. I can start back there without issue.

Besides that, I’m trying to figure out a lasting way to make food food and not a coping mechanism.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I’m fighting a similar battle. Lots of changes at work and home, most of them scary and overwhelming. I’m spending most days with my heart racing and stomach hurting.

At the moment, I’m finding some success in taking walks. Every day, sometimes more than one, and usually alone. Even better if it’s raining or cold. It seems to provide an escape that’s healthier than drowning myself in food and TV.

When I can’t walk or really need to stay indoors, I’m making sure to keep lots of fruit and veg around. At least then, if I eat, it’s something my body could make good use of. I can only eat so many oranges or carrots.

The last strategy is on the stress-reduction side: noise cancelling headphones with new agey music or rain sounds. The sensory deprivation seems to keep me from spinning up, and the soothing sounds lower my blood pressure a bit. I love my kids, but when I’m on the road to rage town, I have to block them out. For their good and mine.

I feel for you.
  • kshama2001
    Options

Definitely agree with that. I can start back there without issue.

Besides that, I’m trying to figure out a lasting way to make food food and not a coping mechanism.

I'm doing Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and therapy therapy, which you said is not an option for you at this time.

This book on Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for overeating was available in my library system, so perhaps yours as well, if you'd like to check it out before buying it.

Disclaimer - I did buy the book, looks great, but I'm not good with self study so haven't gotten very far.

I wanted to attach a few CBT worksheets from my therapist but am unable to attach pdfs. If you are interested, I can see if I can find links for these.

The Beck Diet Solution: Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person

Can thinking and eating like a thin person be learned, similar to learning to drive or use a computer? Beck (Cognitive Therapy for Challenging Problems) contends so, based on decades of work with patients who have lost pounds and maintained weight through Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). Beck's six-week program adapts CBT, a therapeutic system developed by Beck's father, Aaron, in the 1960s, to specific challenges faced by yo-yo dieters, including negative thinking, bargaining, emotional eating, bingeing, and eating out. Beck counsels readers day-by-day, introducing new elements (creating advantage response cards, choosing a diet, enlisting a diet coach, making a weight-loss graph) progressively and offering tools to help readers stay focused (writing exercises, to-do lists, ways to counter negative thoughts). There are no eating plans, calorie counts, recipes or exercises; according to Beck, any healthy diet will work if readers learn to think differently about eating and food. Beck's book is like an extended therapy session with a diet coach. (Apr.)
  • LivinLifeHealthy84
    Options
    __TMac__ wrote: »
    I’m fighting a similar battle. Lots of changes at work and home, most of them scary and overwhelming. I’m spending most days with my heart racing and stomach hurting.

At the moment, I’m finding some success in taking walks. Every day, sometimes more than one, and usually alone. Even better if it’s raining or cold. It seems to provide an escape that’s healthier than drowning myself in food and TV.

When I can’t walk or really need to stay indoors, I’m making sure to keep lots of fruit and veg around. At least then, if I eat, it’s something my body could make good use of. I can only eat so many oranges or carrots.

The last strategy is on the stress-reduction side: noise cancelling headphones with new agey music or rain sounds. The sensory deprivation seems to keep me from spinning up, and the soothing sounds lower my blood pressure a bit. I love my kids, but when I’m on the road to rage town, I have to block them out. For their good and mine.

I feel for you.

Yyeessss!!! I absolutely understand that. I keep my headphones with me all the time. I just have iPhone ones so I just turn it up enough I can’t really hear anything else.

Standing in the shower so the noise of the water drowns everything out.

I recently started taking longer walks by myself with our new dog. Just to get away and calm everything as best I can.

I really do need to focus on having better veg food around. My issue sometimes is I can polish off an entire bag of grapes when the mood hits be right. I don’t seem to have a “I’m full” limit when I’m stressed so much.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options

Basically all of the above. Work needs to change, but currently can’t, family, kids, building a house, my health is the sacrifice.

Health is the worst thing you can sacrifice, it makes everything else harder to handle. You can't look after everyone else if you're not looking after yourself

Workwise is there anyone you can delegate things to or is it possible to discuss workload with your line manager. Even if you can't stop the stress entirely, perhaps you can look at ways of reducing it.

Do you have anyone other than your wife that you can talk to? The old adage "A problem shared is a problem halved" sometimes just being able to rant at a friend who's not as involved in what's stressing you can help.

Do you have medical insurance through work, you might find that they offer a phone counselling service or cover costs of some therapies. There are also free services in some areas.

Meditation has been very helpful for me, I use the Calm app regularly - they have made some of their stuff free since You Know What kicked off, it's available on their web blog.

I also put little signs up on my kitchem cupboards and fridge that say "Food is fuel, not medication".

I supplement Magnesium & Vitamin D to combat the Winter Blues and try to make an effort to do at least 30 mins of exercise a day, even if it's just a walk on my lunch hour.

I listen to humourous audio books on my work commute, because laughter is the best medicine.

If you look up Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, you really do need to look after the basics first - sleep, hydration and eating adequately, if you're not doing that you will struggle with the rest.