Options
2»

Replies

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    M93KG wrote: »
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    My entire gym floor are stall mats. I got them precovid from a gym going out of business for $10 a piece. Later when I expanded the gym, I got a few new from tractor supply for about $40 each.

*/ instantiate humblebrag /*

I got the majority of my flooring for free when I helped a Crossfit gym move into a new location. They gave me their old 36x48x0.5" horse stall horse stall mats, pair of farmers carry handles and some other things they were tossing that I incorporated into my home gym.

My husband fixes gym equipment (strength not cardio) and he gets some free equipment as payment occasionally. We keep what we like and sell the rest. 😊
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    I'm in a small space/condo so my gym station takes up a corner of my bedroom...

* Kettlebells (25 and 40 lb)
    * Dumbbells (8, 12, and 20 lb pairs)
    * Aquabag (up to 79 lb)
    * Standard resistance bands
    * Lateral (loop) resistance bands
    * Boxing gloves
    * Foam roller
    * Yoga blocks
    * Stability ball
    * Ab roller

What I'd like next is an adjustable bench and 50 feet of 2" battle rope (the latter to be used in the building's garage area).

Santa already has my request 🎅🏾
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    Pullup bar, good quality floor mat, a 90 degree angle in my balcony barrier for dips, pair of rings for rows from the pullup bar, and some furniture to stabilize on when doing one-legged stuff.

Hey, if your space is as limited as mine then why not look into a proper bodyweight progression? The Reddit recommended routine isn't bad. https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I have an entire basement room full of stuff I collected over the years. Started with lower weights which I do still use from time to time when recovering from surgery or an injury (not that I have many of either, but having been through one of each since 2017, I don't get rid of the small stuff):
    • kettlebells (1x10lb, 2x15 lb, 2x20lb, 1x10kg, 1x25lb)
    • weighted balls (6, 8, 10 lbs)
    • dumbbells (2, 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 20, 25 pairs of each, plus 1 adjustable pair)
    • mini trampoline
    • aerobics step with extra risers
    • treadmill
    • recumbent bike
    • stability ball + bosu + several balance trainers
    • more bands (loop and regular, both flat and tube style) than I can count
    • pull up tower
    • Smith machine/cable machine combo with bench that has leg curl/extension attachment + attachments bought separately
    • 300 lb olympic weight set + random extra and fractional plates that I bought
    • yoga mat, strap, blocks
    • various foam rollers
    • ankle weights (1 lb pair and adjustable pair 2-10 lbs)
    • weighted vest
    • dip belt
    • chair (for things like 1-legged squats or some P90X type exercises)
    • TV, DVD player, lots of DVDs (can't get good wireless signal in the basement so no streaming)
    • jump ropes
    • roller skates (don't get to use these often)
    • hula hoop (adult one, not kid-size)
    • Wii Fit (kind of fun but not so great for actual exercise)

Maybe excessive but I've always worked out at home and this stuff has been accumulating for more than 15 years.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    @MaltedTea - or anyone! any recs for an adjustable bench? I’m 5’2, so not sure whether to look at a low bench so my feet can touch the floor (also to be used for step ups and hip thrusts) or prioritize seat adjustments for my lower back issue (not sure how important that is when doing incline work). I want to decide before I miss any cyber Monday deals! I’m no powerlifter so something basic would do. Thanks!
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    CeeBeeSlim wrote: »
    @MaltedTea - or anyone! any recs for an adjustable bench? I’m 5’2, so not sure whether to look at a low bench so my feet can touch the floor (also to be used for step ups and hip thrusts) or prioritize seat adjustments for my lower back issue (not sure how important that is when doing incline work). I want to decide before I miss any cyber Monday deals! I’m no powerlifter so something basic would do. Thanks!

I'm waiting for this foldable one from Amazon Canada to come back on sale or for my local gym supply shop to discount a nice adjustable one I saw a few weeks ago in their store (errm, along with the barbell). But I've got about 5-6" on you so that may make a difference in what you end up picking.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    10kg kettlebell
    A couple of exercise mats
    Boxing gloves and pads (mothballed until personal trainer allowed to come close enough to use them)
    KO8 suspension/resistance band trainer
    All manner of resistance bands
    Doorway pull up bar
    Adjustable dumbbells
    Pair of 1kg dumbbells for shadow boxing
    Jump ropes (which I never use as I can't skip and get frustrated when I try)
    Olympic bar (bumper plates on order)
    VR headset for boxing games

All of this has to live in my living room and under stairs cupboard but it's surprising how much you can pack away.
  • happyness4me
    happyness4me Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have an adjustable bench, adjustable weight dumbbells, a pull-up bar, layered latex resistance bands, tubular resistance bands, yoga mat, and a stability ball. All of this stuff is pretty great for a small space.
    I used to have a power rack with weights and a bar. It's on my wishlist to get again. I also want a cable attachment.
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    this is what I have atm, I also had a kettlebell and some lighter dumbbells but I left those at my parents house because I moved into a studio apartment and space is tight + I wasn't using those as often cg95jl8ddk13.png
  • CeeBeeSlim
    Options
    @MaltedTea Thanks. That looks like a cool one. And @Dogmom1978 - thanks for the recs! Just scored a concept 2 rower for $125!! Happy! Now - learn to row...😀
  • Dogmom1978
    Options
    @CeeBeeSlim sweet deal on the concept 2! Model B or newer than that? I love my model B and if you want to upgrade the monitor (I’m still running a pm1) you can order it from concept 2 and they have instructions on how to change the monitor.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    Options
    @Dogmom1978. TBH I would row as a warmup when I worked with a personal trainer, but don’t know much about rowing. I liked it a lot so jumped on this deal since she wanted stuff gone ASAP. The monitor (which I was told just needs a battery) just says Concept II - no letter. Any idea where I would find it? I’m guessing since she was selling for her parents it’s an older model? I’m so impressed with it!
  • Dogmom1978
    Options
    The letter isn’t on some of them. Is it black with a metal cage? Then it’s a model B. Your monitor is a pm1 (pretty sure the pm1 is the only monitor that doesn’t tell you what it is lol) it takes some kind of watch batteries (I have a multi pack of them somewhere, but you can google it to get the size). If it’s grayish, model C, some of the model D are also gray, the new model D is black.

For $125, I assumed it was a model B; which is still a fantastic deal for a B. I’ve sold 4 model B’s now for $500 a piece, so if you decide you get bored with it, you can make a nice profit on it 😜
  • CeeBeeSlim
    Options
    @Dogmom1978. Then it must be a Model B. Lol. That’s great to know about the resale. By the time it took me the 15 mins to get to her home, she had at least a half dozen calls/offers! I’ll research the upgrade in monitors too. Thanks again!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    @Dogmom1978. Then it must be a Model B. Lol. That’s great to know about the resale. By the time it took me the 15 mins to get to her home, she had at least a half dozen calls/offers! I’ll research the upgrade in monitors too. Thanks again!

The main (and likely only) benefit of upgrading monitors (and a conversion from a Model B to a PM5, the latest computer, is $180) is the PM5 is Bluetooth. If you really end up getting into rowing, there are a LOT of compatible phone aps and computer interactive programs that the PM5 can use to make rowing more fun. Plus, you can monitor HR wirelessly.

A few Erg (indoor rowing) apps that I know of are Erg Data and Float, as well as LiveRowing. But, if I'm not mistaken, you can also connect to both of those using an Erg Stick (something that connects a PM3 or a PM4 to the phone, so you can access these apps). Your computer should have a PM3 on it or similar.

If you want to get really interactive, there is RowPro and EXR (both are computer applications where you plug your computer into the monitor and it's like a video game with data points). Zwift is also supposed to be coming out with rowing but they have been saying that for two years.

There are also phone cradles that can hold your phone above your monitor as well. Those are cheap and useful. But if you just want a basic workout, stick to just listening to music and work on form constantly.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    @MaltedTea Thanks. That looks like a cool one. And @Dogmom1978 - thanks for the recs! Just scored a concept 2 rower for $125!! Happy! Now - learn to row...😀

A little OT but C2 has a lot of great videos on their website for learning rowing form and they also will send you their workout of the day email if you subscribe (they'll have several workouts each day based on your fitness level and goals) they also offer a free online logbook for tracking your rowing (they have a variety of challenges throughout the year too right now it's their annual Holiday Challenge where C2 donates to charities based on the number of metres you log between Thanksgiving & Dec 24th)

My rower is one of the best investments I ever made.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    Options
    @MikePfirrman @BrianSharpe Thanks so much for this helpful info! I will admit I was in the “I got this” category, since I used the rower to warm up - but it was only to break into a mild sweat before my personal trainer and I met up. I. Am. So. Humble. Now. ☹️ I looked at the form videos and I’m a “what not to do” example. I love it even more now!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    @MikePfirrman @BrianSharpe Thanks so much for this helpful info! I will admit I was in the “I got this” category, since I used the rower to warm up - but it was only to break into a mild sweat before my personal trainer and I met up. I. Am. So. Humble. Now. ☹️ I looked at the form videos and I’m a “what not to do” example. I love it even more now!

Every single person that has not started on real water is a "what not to do" person on the indoor rower, including me. What's worse is that I see constant gym advertising where instructors don't have a clue either. I used to watch in horror (when the gyms were open) at my local LA Fitness when trainers would put people on the rower.

On YouTube, DarkHorse Rowing and RVA Performance Training (Cassi Niemann, who is a Master C2 instructor) are both a wealth of information on proper form. I love any video that Cassi Niemann puts together. She's fantastic.