Who all hunts and fished

Options

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    @Revolu7
    That's me exactly. I'll eat the chicken as long as it's cut/packed in handy dandy styrofoam plastic containers, no feathers or feet or head included. My niece and her bf raised over 60 chickens, even posted pictures on FB, petting, cuddling, playing with chickens. Then whallop, they did the whole chicken yard to freezer thing themselves. I just couldn't. :( I also had a friend that was vegetarian and now raises chickens to eat.
    I've given up pretty much all meat except chicken, still hanging onto that one. My neighbors are farmers/hunters and I hear guns going off all the time, target practice, woodchucks, whatever. But this time of year(deer hunting started yesterday) I cringe. I really don't mind people hunting, I simply prefer hiding my head in the sand. :/
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,565 Member
    Options
    Revolu7 wrote: »
    Im as hypocritical as they come.....i love meat, i just cant kill it myself. Aside from what my government required of me, i dont think ive ever killed anything purposely. I do not have a problem with those that do, as a matter of fact i need them to keep me fed. Im just one of those, dont want to see how the sausage is made hypocritical people.

I get this. I can't handle seeing it, or stopping my mind from imagining their pain. I'm a head in the sand carnivore, too.

I worked at a pheasant farm... I told him before he hired me that I was NOT going to be there for the cull. Just couldn't stomach it!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    jksv05gujhl4.jpg

My secret fishing hole. Fish, fish, fish. I eat a lorra lorra fish.
    @Miz_Owl We're all about practicing good animal husbandry out here in the wild, wild west.
  • Cusneddie
    Cusneddie Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I love fishing. (catch and release). Not a hunter at all, but respect those who do it for food.

My favourite fishing right now is for channel cats! (too bad the season is over. 😔)

This is a 35" beaut that I caught this summer!
    uibicnz1lu67.jpg
    Wow!!! Nice one !! Catfish bite year round. Channel cats do sow down during the winter, but those blues eat in the winter. Throw some cut bait on the hook and those blue cats are fun and tasty!
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I never eat anything with a face.

..... okay, that's not entirely true.
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    Cusneddie wrote: »
    I love fishing. (catch and release). Not a hunter at all, but respect those who do it for food.

My favourite fishing right now is for channel cats! (too bad the season is over. 😔)

uibicnz1lu67.jpg
    Wow!!! Nice one !! Catfish bite year round. Channel cats do sow down during the winter, but those blues eat in the winter. Throw some cut bait on the hook and those blue cats are fun and tasty!

Thanks!

I live in Manitoba... We have record fishing in the summer /fall, but as it gets colder they tend to run south into the Dakotas. Our winter fishing (on the ice) is damn cold, and tends to yield a lot more pickerel and pike.
  • tmantwo
    tmantwo Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Welp, got my hunting gear. Clothing, knives, tree stand, pop up blind, calls, etc. out of storage.

Tomorrow’s task, get the stand set up for deer and the pop up set up for groundhog.
  • tmantwo
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Any of youins reload? For deer it’s 30-30 and 30.06 for me.

I don’t have my Hornady recipe handy.

hygckb8x77g2.jpeg

2qqm9fnxen32.jpeg
  • Cusneddie
    Cusneddie Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    tmantwo wrote: »
    Any of youins reload? For deer it’s 30-30 and 30.06 for me.

I don’t have my Hornady recipe handy.

hygckb8x77g2.jpeg

2qqm9fnxen32.jpeg

Never have, but have thought about it.
  • tmantwo
    Options
    Boooo, still have not been out hunting.

Fiber installer came out at 0700 this AM.

3 big deer meandering across the field. Paid us no mind just kept on grazing and meandering 😔
  • austinwb8
    austinwb8 Posts: 149 Member
    Options

uibicnz1lu67.jpg

There is a season on channel cats? Wow.....nothing of the sort here in TX.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised this hasn't gotten derailed yet... the internet must be asleep.
  • KickassAmazon76
    Options
    austinwb8 wrote: »

uibicnz1lu67.jpg

There is a season on channel cats? Wow.....nothing of the sort here in TX.

Yep! They start running late may... In early June it's insane (as in we caught 30+ - all over 30" long) between two of us over a couple hours). They slow off in July and by August it's pretty dead.

I fish by Lockport Manitoba on the Red... It's a popular tourist spot - especially with American fishers. 😊
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    @austinwb8 I hunt and fish and cook and practice good animal husbandry, too. Got my bison license a couple of years ago. That took alot of serious work, hour and hours and hours. Jackson Hole.