Anyone have a near miss with diabetes?

Omg, I'm so close to getting it, I seem to have most of the symptoms. Scary. Can you eat treats again now that your at goal? (just less I guess?!?)

Replies

• Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,070 Member
    I've had a similar experience. I was starting to get pretty wild blood sugar swings at 105-110 pounds overweight. Now that I have lost 82 of that, even if I have something sugary as an exception I don't have the same response. My body handles it much better. That said, I don't eat very much that's sugary. I've heard from a number of sources that the mere presence of large amounts of your body has many bad effects and acts pretty much like an extra organ.
  • sporangia
    sporangia Posts: 50 Member
    Omg, I'm so close to getting it, I seem to have most of the symptoms. Scary. Can you eat treats again now that your at goal? (just less I guess?!?)

Although it was not my personal experience (my biggest fear was an event from high blood pressure), I've heard lots of stories like yours, like the YouTube star, JordanShrinks, who talks a lot about how it motivated her to lose 130 lbs. There is also this person's story from the Forks Over Knives movie that you might want to watch.

It would be worth it for you to develop your understanding of the cause of diabetes and how it is reversed. Dr. Michael Gregger has a lot of great videos available on the non-profit website nutritionfacts.org. Here is one on the cause of diabetes and how to reverse it.

While these health issues are scary, your reaction suggests this could be a turning point for you to make the dietary and health promoting changes needed now to avoid years of suffering and dealing with diabetes. An older relative of mine died of diabetes complications because he did not want to change his lifestyle to reverse it and he didn't want to do medications. You've obviously woken up to these risks and have the opportunity to reverse diabetes, which is awesome. Stay positive and dig in. You can do it!
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    My A1C is 6.1 - that was enough to frighten me to get the weight off and protect myself from diabetes
    My doctor said if I could lose 10 lbs I would be ok, lost close 4 so far.
    My bigger plan is to lose 30, in 10lbs stages with exercise and diet
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    I wasn't diagnosed pre-diabetic when I was super fat, even though it runs in my mother's family (every one related to her has it). I was at a 'normal' weight, 135#, and took a full blood test to check my iron levels. FYI, up here in Canada, the blood lab note says what tests you need to fast for and how long, and I double checked if I was okay to eat. Got okay'ed to eat, so I did. Lab results came back as pre-diabetic (6.7, iirc [ferritin was 3 icyww]). Freaked out as I'd never been diagnosed before. Ordered to take another blood test, this time I fasted for 12 hours like you're supposed to for glucose testing, and oh hey, it's 4.

Yeah, I 'cheated' the system.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member

What symptoms? Diabetes doesn't typically have symptoms until later in it's progression which is why bloodwork is necessary.

Pre-diabetic isn't actually a diagnosis...it just means your blood glucose levels on a blood test are high enough to show one that they are at risk if changes aren't made...I've never heard of any symptoms associated with pre-diabetic blood work. I had pre-diabetic blood glucose levels when I first started...lost 40 Lbs and overall eat a pretty nutritious diet and I exercise daily and my blood work is normal...and yes, I can have "treats", but they aren't a particularly material part of my overall diet either.
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    cyaneverfat - please do go and get checked out if you have 'all the symptoms'.

I don't want to scare you but not doing so (because you are frightened or because you will soon lose weight and be ok or because you don't think it is all that serious and you only have 'a light dose' of diabetes) could be very very bad for you.

I think that everyone knows that diabetes isn't good for your health.

However some of its nasty little tricks are life-changing. My brother is an eye-surgeon and he has very bad days when people who didn't know they had diabetes are sent to him as emergencies. I stress that these are bad days for him... because often there is nothing he can do for them; it is too late to save their sight.

I can't even think what is must be like to be left suddenly (really without warning) without sight for something that didn't even make you feel ill.
  • Latrellis
    Latrellis Posts: 72 Member
    Exercise is SO important, even just 10 lbs overweight you can become diabetic, especially if you are sedentary. Keto works great for prediabetic, because it's low carb. Everyone should read up on Type 2, many people are either pre-diabetic or diabetic and have not idea.
  • goodasgoldilox165
    cyaneverfat - I am so glad that you are getting checked out. Whatever the result - you are in a position to change things.
  • goodasgoldilox165
    drmwc I share your experience with refined sugar. Giving it up was hard but it has stopped being an issue. On the odd occasions I've had it - I do have to accept that I'll be extra 'hungry' for a few days afterwards. Staying away from sugar for those days gets rid of the desire for it.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Falconscoach - congratulations.
    My A1C was 6.1 and that frightened the hell out of me, hence I am on my way to losing this weight.
    I have lost 4lbs so far and looking forward to the other 6lb, then I have 20 more to go before reaching 30lbs, that will mean my weight will be 162.
    My goal is to get down to 150 and try to maintain from there.
    Like you, my problem is portion control because I am a healthy eater, but if your portions are out of wack, that means nothing to your waistline.
  • cremorna1
    cremorna1 Posts: 133 Member
    Hope you are ok! I am trying to fix my pre-diabetes myself :|
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!