Macro Nutrients

How do you determine what these are supposed to be? I think I fiddled with mine, so I'm sure they are not set right. I need to know what a standard one might be. Any tips? How do you know?

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    Just leave them at standard. It's for the beginning important to set a realistic calorie goal: if MFP gives you 1200 calories as a woman or 1500 as a man your goal is unrealistic. Then just eat the way you prefer and track everything, preferably with a food scale. When you find you're too hungry then maybe try more protein, or more fat, or more carbs. Nobody can say what works for you as it's totally individual.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    ^^^

I make sure I hit my protein, but I was also eating way under my fat for a bit, so I made a couple of minor changes like 4% cottage cheese instead of the low fat version to help bump my fat up a little bit.

If you are hitting your protein and close to your fat, I wouldn’t worry about the macros.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,489 Member
    edited November 2020
    I set it to 40% carb, 30% fat, 30% protein. Really all I look at though is total calories and protein. If I'm getting enough of the latter, based on grams per pound, and I'm on track for the former, the rest takes care of itself.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2020
    kermitch wrote: »
    How do you determine what these are supposed to be? I think I fiddled with mine, so I'm sure they are not set right. I need to know what a standard one might be. Any tips? How do you know?

Mine are no where close to the USDA defaults. Macros are generally to support satiety and goals. In general, if you have fitness goals, then you should increase protein and have a sufficient workout program.

So the first step, what are your goals?
  • kermitch
    kermitch Posts: 53 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »

Mine are no where close to the USDA defaults. Macros are generally to support satiety and goals. In general, if you have fitness goals, then you should increase protein and have a sufficient workout program.

So the first step, what are your goals?
    Mainly to get my fat percentage down, it’s about 30-35% according to my scale. Probably need more protein, less carbs.
  • kermitch
    Thanks all. Very helpful all your comments.
  • kermitch
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Standard is 50% of calories from carbs, 30% from fats and 20% from protein.

Personally I go for a fixed minimum amount of protein (instead of percentage), and I don't really mind the other macros.

Ta. I thought 50% carbs was quite high.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Standard is 50% of calories from carbs, 30% from fats and 20% from protein.

Personally I go for a fixed minimum amount of protein (instead of percentage), and I don't really mind the other macros.

Ta. I thought 50% carbs was quite high.

Why do you think that?
    Is there some personal reason you need to worry about the proportion of carbs you eat?

The question above asking about your goals was very pertinent, there isn't one perfect macro amount or percentage that is suitable let alone optimal for everyone.

I'm going to have a super high carb day today but that's my need and my preference today and unlikely to be your need.
  • Sheila1344
    Sheila1344 Posts: 3 Member
    I also agree 50% carbs are too high. My goal is to increase muscle, keep my body fat low. I monitor a 40% carbohydrates 35% protein and 25% fats. This eating plan has allowed me to maintain a approximately 17% body fat. Eating Clean Food is #1. I hope this helps.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Sheila1344 wrote: »
    I also agree 50% carbs are too high. My goal is to increase muscle, keep my body fat low. I monitor a 40% carbohydrates 35% protein and 25% fats. This eating plan has allowed me to maintain a approximately 17% body fat. Eating Clean Food is #1. I hope this helps.

As an FYI, carbs are protein sparring/anti catabolic. So they help support maintaining or gain muscle in a deficit.

Having said that, 40% should be enough
  • kermitch
    Well peeps, I just want to know I have a great diet. I’m still kind of trim, but have that womanly extra padding that seems to come at my age. I’m not wanting to become a superwoman- those days were in my prime when I was conquering mountains. Now sadly, my knees don’t like that stuff anymore so I’ve cut back quite dramatically. Just want to stop excess kilos creeping on.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited February 2021
    Well peeps, I just want to know I have a great diet. I’m still kind of trim, but have that womanly extra padding that seems to come at my age. I’m not wanting to become a superwoman- those days were in my prime when I was conquering mountains. Now sadly, my knees don’t like that stuff anymore so I’ve cut back quite dramatically. Just want to stop excess kilos creeping on.

Sounds like you just need to focus on your calories then and let your macros fall where they fall - keeping it simple is a good option unless adding complexity gives you a benefit and that's not apparent in what you have posted.
    Stick to the foods you like that make up your great diet and don't try to lose weight too quickly.

Unless you are small and sedentary then 1200 cals you posted in another thread could well be far more of an issue to address than concerning yourself over macros. A big part of great diet is getting the size of your diet appropriate to your current weight and how much "womanly padding" you are trying to lose.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    ^^What sijomial said.

If you have less than 25 pounds to lose you should have your calories set at, "Lose 1/2 pound per week." Be honest with that Activity Level, and don't choose "Sedentary" if you have any kind of adult responsibilities like keeping up a household, going to any kind of job (even if it's office work.)

1200 calories is extremely difficult. We know, we've tried. Unless you're very tiny it's likely not going to work for long.

Macros...the default macros are fine. I lost all my 70ish pounds without worrying too much about macros. I did have to make a concerted effort to get enough protein and vegetables so that's what I focused on.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    I set it to 40% carb, 30% fat, 30% protein. Really all I look at though is total calories and protein. If I'm getting enough of the latter, based on grams per pound, and I'm on track for the former, the rest takes care of itself.

Me, too! A little more protein helps keep me fuller longer.
  • kermitch
    I think losing half kilo a week is fairly reasonable which is only just over a pound. Not my fault MFP calculates that to 1200 calories. My weight fluctuates on the scales a couple of kilos every day. Don’t worry, I’m not likely to eat under 1200 calories as I still like my food. But that may be ok for me, I’m a short small boned person.
  • kermitch
    Sheila1344 wrote: »
    Yep, very practical.