how much has walking helped you lose weight

Options
i’ve decided to start walking to and from work. it’s like 50 mins to walk to work and i work 3 times a week so about 5 hours a week of waking

(on top of that i go to the gym 4 times a week)

has anyone else incorporated walking into their daily life and would you say that it helped you in losing weight?

Replies

• DeterminedFee201426
    Options
    helped me a lot. I burn an extra two lbs. in a month when i walk enough.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Its my main form of exercise these days...I do it for fitness, bit it definitely helps me kick up my calorie burn so I can eat more.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I love walking! I burn about 35 cal per mile but a few miles here and there throughout the day adds up and can help create a deficit.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,715 Member
    Options
    I was a marathon runner turned walker. I LOVE IT! So convenient, easy to incorporate and mentally helps a lot. YES it is and can be a big contribution to health, wellbeing and also weight loss.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,598 Member
    Options
    I have a love/hate/recent slight anxiety relationship with walking and do it for the reason everyone around here says not to do it. I exercise pretty much so I can eat more. But, yeah, still lost weight when I was in that mode because I was still in a deficit.
  • Katerr1kk
    Katerr1kk Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    20 years ago I lost 70lb solely by walking and being careful about what I ate. I'd walk 5 miles a day, 5 days a week. I couldn't do it now, but it helped hugely at the time.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Walking was my only exercise for the first 3 or 4 months of my weight loss journey. I found it helpful for my weight loss in the sense that it allowed me to eat more food while maintaining the deficit I wanted (I eat back my exercise calories).

I've progressed to other types of exercise, but walking (high step count) is still an important part in maintaining an activity level that keeps me healthy and also gives me a calorie goal I can follow without feeling restricted.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,404 Member
    Options
    When I was actively losing weight I ran and did lots of other sport (I still do). I didn't make me lose weight faster but gave me more calories to play with as I didn't want to go hungry, being female, smallish and of a certain age.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Definitely! I lost almost 80lb 7 years ago just with walking as my exercise. I still try to walk 3 or miles a day - it gives me more calories and it also gives me time to myself. It's not my only form of exercise now as I took up jogging in 2015, but it's probably my main exercise at the moment.