Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How early is too early for Christmas?

Options
124»

Replies

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    You be you, baby! Several friends have already decorated because it lifts their mood. Me? The tree may not even go up this year because I don't want the drama

I am thinking the same way. My husband usually puts up the tree but I don't think that he will be in the mood this year because it is only the two of us. I may put out some ornaments around the house and maybe get a Poinsettia, but that's about it. I am not a Christmas person anyway and this year I feel like the Grinch. What ever I do, it will not be done until next week; November is still around.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    b120in2021 wrote: »
    I LOVE Christmas. Anything before the day after Thanksgiving is too early.

Also -- is Die Hard a Christmas movie?
    GummiMundi wrote: »
    It's not A Christmas movie, it's THE Christmas movie! B)

QFT
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I believe there are only two countries in the world that have thanksgiving, so it irks me when people judge others for starting Christmas before thanksgiving (nobody in this thread, just in general!). Like, why should I wait until after some holiday that some other country celebrates?

For me, as soon as it's the second half of November, Christmas music is fair game. Christmas jumpers are fair game from December 1st. But we don't put up decorations until December 11th in my family. My granny's birthday was December 10th, and she always insisted that no decorations could go up until the next day. And even though she died six years ago, it's a tradition for us, to remember her by.

I could care less when people in other countries start their holidays. It's US retailers that rush the season that bother me :)

My birthday is also mid December, and that's when I like to put up the tree at my Mom's. She's cheap and has been cutting scraggly pine trees from the woods but I think this year I'm going to insist on a proper tree.

Here with my OH we just put up the ceramic tree his mother made.
  • kshama2001
    Options