Exercise calorie Burn - Don't they count?

Options
I must be doing something wrong or else myfitnesspal has changed since I was here a number of years ago. I thought personal Exercise Diary tracked calories burned and added that back as available calories in the Food Diary. I added Full Body Strength Training for Women Over 50, and googled to get the approximate calories burned for my weight, and I think it was successfully added to the database, but I don't see anything about how many minutes I trained or how many calories burned, and it certainly didn't impact the food diary. Has anyone else had trouble with this feature? Maybe I'm not remembering correctly. All advice welcome! Unless you're a troll, then keep scrolling on by this post.....and take your meds.

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,174 Member
    Options
    The system hasn't changed, so perhaps it's just a glitch? I haven't had any issues myself, but I use a fitness tracker, so I don't add exercise manually.
    You really about adding the exercise to the database, but to be clear: you mean you added it to your diary?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Look at the Eating goal day before and after the day in question if they had no workouts.
    Do all 3 days match for eating goals?
    Then it wasn't included.

The bottom of Food diary has the line about "your daily goal has been increased due to" so much in exercise.

Where did you find this Strength training plan?
    I think you added it to your list of workouts you want to follow for ease of access - nothing to do with adding it as a workout you actually did to your Exercise Diary.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    With your diary being private it's hard to see what you have done.
    If you changed your diary settings it would take away a lot of guesswork.

Did you add it to the CV part of the exercise diary or the Strangth Training part of the diary?
    (Only the CV part has calorie functionality....)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,972 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    With your diary being private it's hard to see what you have done.
    If you changed your diary settings it would take away a lot of guesswork.

Did you add it to the CV part of the exercise diary or the Strength Training part of the diary?
    (Only the CV part has calorie functionality....)

You can change your Diary Sharing settings to Public here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I am using the iPhone version of the app and I add it as cardio exercise (even though it’s strength training) and it counts towards my calorie goal for the day. I enter all of my exercise as cardio and I have no issues getting it to count towards my daily calorie goal. 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    It still works that way. You have to log under 'Cardiovascular' section, though, and not under the 'Strength' section.

MFP has never added calories for anything logged under the 'Strength' category.
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    You also may need to look at your settings. You can choose whether you want to have exercise calories added back.

Settings, Goals , Fitness , Exercise Calories - on adds back exercise calories or off does not.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    It sounds like you created it as an exercise, but did not log it. When you log an exercise you indicate how long. MFP does not know that on its own.

Kind of like I can create a recipe, but would still need to log it in my diary.

Or as mentioned above, logging as strength does not add calories. Because typically, strength training does not burn significantly more calories per minute than your standard rate of activity. Cardio burns more, because during cardio you're moving multiple major muscle groups for an extended period of time. Strength training is often moving 1-2 muscle groups slowly.
  • Gr8nurs1271
    Gr8nurs1271 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Check your settings too.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    It seems like you haven't checked back...but if you added it as 'Strength' MFP won't add the calories. It will add them if you put in calories burned via 'Cardio'. There's a 3rd option for 'Workout Routine' and IDK if it adds those back to your overall calorie goal.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    It seems like you haven't checked back...but if you added it as 'Strength' MFP won't add the calories. It will add them if you put in calories burned via 'Cardio'. There's a 3rd option for 'Workout Routine' and IDK if it adds those back to your overall calorie goal.

That last option was discovered months ago to indeed add back calories - a very inflated calorie burn at the time several checked. Perhaps it's been corrected.

Unlike the database entry for Strength Training weights is a very true and reasonable small calorie burn, unless just doing hours a week.
    In which case trying to maintain weight won't benefit from not logging it.