I'm back, again!

Options
Why can't I do this?
Why can't I lose weight?
Why is it easy for some people?
I have to do this, if I don't I'll lose my eyesight due to diabetic complications.
I need help.
I need a kick up the *kitten*.
I need accountability.

Please help.

Replies

• Shawn01901
    Shawn01901 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Totally can relate ...you can do it ! Interested in being accountability partners
  • louisejen5918
    louisejen5918 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    @Novella84 feel free to add me, I can't remember how to do it, it's been so long x
  • louisejen5918
    Options
    @nanastaci2020 thank you so much for your advice. I'm going to write everything down good and bad. I'm going to make sure I drink enough, as it'll fill me up so I won't want to stuff my face xx
  • Gr8nurs1271
    Gr8nurs1271 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I love that. Working on one or two things right now! I am so glad I opened this thread! ❤️
  • sandikiii
    sandikiii Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I felt this. I tend to do one of two things... all in or nothing at all. When I actually commit, I tend to obsess over everything... as in I will count out how many peanuts I can have. This obviously leads back to poor eating habits due to such restrictions. Then I fall back to my do nothing spectrum.
    Moderation is key but I know that I need balance. To not give up just because I might overindulge now and again. It's like I give up just because I had a crap meal and give myself an excuse to let the rest of the day be crap and so on.
    I feel your frustration.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,081 Member
    Options
    Why can't I do this?
    Why can't I lose weight?
    Why is it easy for some people?
    I have to do this, if I don't I'll lose my eyesight due to diabetic complications.
    I need help.
    I need a kick up the *kitten*.
    I need accountability.

Please help.

You can do this!
    You can lose weight!

Change the question. Instead of "why" try asking "how"

How can I do this?
    How can I lose weight?

Sometimes rephrasing can completely change how you feel about something!

I would also say that I don't think any body finds it easy! After all it's something we have to do for life, once the weight has gone it's then still continuing for the maintenance!
    From what I've seen, people don't generally hop onto my fitness pal, lose all their weight quick-time then leave.
    I see plenty of posts of lack of motivation, plateaus, bad days, yoyo-ers, people who have achieved their GW the year earlier and lo and behold they're back again!

I think if you accept that this journey you're about to take is hard and is SUPPOSED to be hard, youre less likely to give up. Because you know its supposed to be like that, so a bad day won't lead to you giving up.
    You're more than capable, if you put your mind to it.

Given your situation, you have a very VERY big "why" you want to lose weight. I honestly couldn't imagine what it must be like to potentially lose my eyesight.
    But in your opinion, is that enough to make you want to lose weight?
    I'm going to say yes because you're here posting and asking for help.

When im struggling with accountability, i parent myself. It sounds odd but hear me out.
    If this was your daughter or son, would you allow them to eat biscuits and take outs, knowing full well the harm it could cause them? No? Then neither should you.
    You wouldn't let your child eat a whole tub of ice cream. Why? Because it's bad for them, so don't do it yourself!
    You need to parent yourself, tell YOURSELF no!

If it helps also, there's a "just for today 2020 daily accountability" thread on motivation and support (it's always on the first page)
    And basically a group of us post goals daily, and see what we can achieve, a lot of it can be the same like "drink 8 cups" "stay within calorie allowance" etc.
    But it goes off the idea that if we had to do something, just for one day, it seems a lot more achievable. Rather than looking ahead to where you want to be in 3 months and seeing the weight loss journey as a whole, it can be overwhelming, so by breaking it down into daily tasks.
    Eventually these all add up and when the months done you realise you might of walked every day or staying within your calorie allowance.
    And these small daily tasks really add up to the big weight loss picture you imagine.

It's all very friendly, non judgemental and we also touch on daily life stresses that can kffect us and how we eat.

I've not ate properly for 8 weeks straight due to severe stress, and lost 30lbs from it. But they were there to support me through it! I've made some real nice friends on there too!
  • louisejen5918
    Options
    @Bex953172 Thank you so much. I will join the group you mentioned. You make it sound doable x
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Another perspective... Maybe your primary goal should not be weight loss. Perhaps it should be improving your health. Living longer and better is a good objective, right? It might be harder to "quit" that goal because giving it on your health has dire consequences.

Then think about how to do it.

Track your food intake to get proper nutrients, in reasonable amounts. (Aiming for a calorie total that is a deficit.) Eating foods that support your health needs. Such as limited carbs per meal if diabetic, reduced sodium if one has heart disease. Exercise/ activity to improve your medical outlook. Start small! This can be as simple as 5 or 10 minutes of moving MORE than you normally do, a few times a day.

Doing those things: weight loss becomes a side effect as you improve your health. And it will be less aggravating.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    You got this. This is for your health and your sight! That’s something you don’t want to lose. I know it’s never been easy for me.
  • TakeTheLongWayHome
    TakeTheLongWayHome Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I don’t think losing weight is easy for anyone. You have to work at it every single day. You have to want to change, because it isn’t just a diet. You can’t just not eat carbs or just eat fats for a couple months and you are miraculously fixed. It’s a lifestyle change and you have to accept that to be able to get where you want to go.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    I have something tough to say to you; You are not a victim and losing weight isn't a big mystery. You are not helpless.. you can do this. It just starts with a plan and trusting yourself to follow it and putting yourself first.

The body is an amazing thing; and it responds to good food, water, and moving more. You'll be amazed at how your health can turn around - and fast.

Remember; you are in control.. this didn't happen to you.. you did it. And you CAN fix it. Best of luck to you.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    This is kind of a wierd suggestion.

I did a yoga class blindfolded one time. It was intended to teach us to focus inwardly, concentrate on balance, yada yada, but really made me think about what life would be like without my eyes.

Ironically, I have deaf siblings, and losing my hearing wouldn’t faze me at all, but I’ve worn glasses since I was five, currently wear “coca cola bottle lenses”, and losing my eyesight does frighten me.

As a bit of an eye opener to yourself, why not try a blindfold for an hour or two? Get a really good taste of what life would be like, challenges you’d face, consider having to learn Braille, re-equip the house, give up driving.

If you need some motivation......and you don’t think it’s a silly idea.

BTW that was hands down the best yoga class I ever took.