Histamine intolerances

Options
Hi y'all. Just wondering if anyone else suffers with a histamine intolerance when it comes to food. It seems every year I add more items to the 'do not eat' list or else suffer the lingering stomach ache.

For me it began with avocado
and mushrooms. Followed by egg whites, banana, spinach, zucchini, some but not all squash, occasionally tomatoes, and so many more.

On occasion I can tolerate small portions of said items but it's a gamble.

Hoping to connect with others who share this affliction.

Replies

• shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I have MCAD, so dealing with histamine issues is part of it, although mine's more a problem with ingestion and creating histamine, and less with problems breaking down the histamine, you know? But a lot of similar behaviors and dietary restrictions tend to come into play, so I feel ya, hon!

My diet is really limited right now, so yeah...maybe we can swap recipes sometime. :-)

Oh, also have you tried growing your own tomatoes for fried green tomatoes? The green ones are much lower in histamine and so we can usually tolerate them, and fried green tomatoes are amazing. :-)
  • sandikiii
    sandikiii Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    shaumom wrote: »
    I have MCAD, so dealing with histamine issues is part of it, although mine's more a problem with ingestion and creating histamine, and less with problems breaking down the histamine, you know? But a lot of similar behaviors and dietary restrictions tend to come into play, so I feel ya, hon!

My diet is really limited right now, so yeah...maybe we can swap recipes sometime. :-)

Oh, also have you tried growing your own tomatoes for fried green tomatoes? The green ones are much lower in histamine and so we can usually tolerate them, and fried green tomatoes are amazing. :-)

I haven't tried that and didn't realize that green ones were lower. I know some veggies when boiled lowers the level as it leaches out and into the water yet others like fermented items are worse. I've kept tabs on my threshold level and if I think I might exceed it I'll take an antihistamine... followed by a nap. 😅