does walking for 2 hours really burn 400-500ish cals???!!

Options
i don’t have a watch to track it but i just googled how many calories does someone my weight would roughly burn for walking for 2 hours and it seems like overestimate. what do you think? i don’t want to overestimate and then eat a portion of the calories back

also should i consider it exercise?? bc i just walk to work now and i go to the gym too. just doesn’t seem as much effort as the gym sorry if this makes no sense

Replies

• trulyhealy
    trulyhealy Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    basically i’m just asking if the calories that google is telling me seems too much
  • trulyhealy
    trulyhealy Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    about 3 miles one way so 6 miles a day 3 times a week and i’m 142lbs and i wouldn’t say u speed walk kind of casual depending if i’m in a rush but i might start walking quicker to burn more
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    I walk briskly on a treadmill at a slight incline around 4 mph, burn almost 400 in the hour. If I were sitting on the couch, I would burn 55 roughly in an hour. So my gain is about 325 to 345. If I walked slower I'd burn a little less.

I am female, 46, 130ish.
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,185 Member
    Options
    You might figure about 3 calories/minute for walking at a good pace. But there are a number of benefits of exercise. Losing weight is only one of them. Another important benefit is aerobic effect which improves your cardiovascular system. One key to gauging the value of exercise is monitoring your heart rate. A common method of categorizing exercise by heart rate uses heart rate zones. You can figure out your zones by estimating your maximum heart rate using the fomula: HRMax = 220 - age (reasonably good estimate for younger people).

Then you can compute 5 zones:
    zone 1: 50% - 60% of HRMax
    zone 2: 60% - 70% of HRMax
    zone 3: 70% - 80% of HRMax
    zone 4: 80% - 90% of HRMax
    zone 5: 90% - 100% of HRMax

Zone 3 is a good zone for getting cardio benefit as well as fat burning.
    It's a complex topic, and it's worth noting that for each person, YMMV (your mileage may vary).
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Yes that’s why we do it on purpose! Lol it gets you in great shape
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    I walk briskly on a treadmill at a slight incline around 4 mph, burn almost 400 in the hour. If I were sitting on the couch, I would burn 55 roughly in an hour. So my gain is about 325 to 345. If I walked slower I'd burn a little less.

I am female, 46, 130ish.

This seems unlikely to be honest. See the equation that Sijomial posted above. Don't trust numbers on machines.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound unreasonable. I burn about 200 per half hour or so of walking at a good pace.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    scarlett_k wrote: »
    Doesn't sound unreasonable. I burn about 200 per half hour or so of walking at a good pace.

How do you get this number? And is your weight the same?
  • scarlett_k
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    scarlett_k wrote: »

How do you get this number? And is your weight the same?

I'm a few kilos heavier. I lose weight as expected (or maintain when I'm having a break) so assume it must be about right. Garmin and MFP both approximate about 200 (give or take) for the pace/distance I go.
  • scarlett_k
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Also to note I think I have just tweaked what works for me. I include my daily walking in my activity level rather than logging it separately, as I walk at least an hour at a reasonable pace every single day. Anything greatly over an hour gets logged as additional exercise though. Works for me although I appreciate garmin and MFP estimates can be quite wild.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Losing weight on schedule doesn't validate specific exercise estimates - it just means all the inaccuracies in estimation of someone's BMR, activity multiplier, food and exercise logging either cancel each other out or they have adjusted based on results (or just got lucky!).

In retrospect I know my exercise estimates at the time of my major weight loss were inflated, but I still lost weight on schedule as I adjusted my base calorie goal to achieve the results I wanted. Sharing what I now know weren't great methods wouldn't actually be helpful to someone asking if their estimates are likely to be realistic.

"My elliptical told me I burned a 1,000 cals in an hour and it must be accurate because I lost a pound a week."
    Except of course I didn't burn that much, not even close.