HRM Users... What is your heart rate while running?

Options
I've had my HRM (Polaris FT4) since July, and I use it daily when I work out. Most of my workouts are running/walking on the treadmill at this point, but... I was just curious as to what people's heart rates were while running.

I know that everyone is different, and things like heart rate and calorie burn will vary depending on people's age, weight, sex, etc., But... while I'm I'm happy to burn 300+ calories while running 3+ miles on the treadmill, I was thinking.... how can some people be burning 600-700-800 or more calories for walking or doing an exercise tape, etc. I imagine they either aren't using an HRM and are using the MFP calories burned (which varies greatly), or.... if using an HRM, their heart rate is much higher than mine... resulting in a higher calorie burn.

When I run on my treadmill at 5.5mph (yes... not too fast, but... I'm slowing increasing my time and speed)... my heart rate is typically between 135-145. And when I do JM 30DS, I don't think my heart rate ever gets above 100. I'm 46, and my Max Heart Rate is set at 174, and my zone is between 113-148.

Just curious if my heart rate seems too low.... is in a normal range.... etc. I'm guessing it's right for me, but... I really have no clue.

Replies

• HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Since i smoke, im not really able to do sustained running, i prefer HIIT on my cardio machines.

Btw, if you just want to get the most from your workout, the fat burning zone is a bit of a myth. For the maximum fat burn, you want your heart rate as high as possible for as long as possible.

This video explains very clearly why staying in the zone isnt as good as going above it.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/thrivefit/videos/18/
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    my target HR is 130-170 when I run it usually hangs out in the 180s
  • AlwaysSarah87
    Options
    I have asked a lot of my friends the same thing and 99% of the time they don't have a HRM and MFP is high on calories.
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    If I haven't ran for even say a week, it's nothing to get my HR to 182ish while running (6.5-7mph & incline). When I run (or do something daily), it's at about 165-172ish (same mph & incline).

When I did JM30DS, it of course would vary - but cardio would be higher, while the weights....maybe 135ish?

I agree w/ how so many people over-estimate their calorie burn. They're just hurting themselves by not being realistic. Even if I don't wear my HRM, I will under-estimate the calorie burn if anything.
  • emalay
    emalay Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I would say that at the beginning of my run my HR is in the 130's to 140's. When I am in the middle of the run it gets up to mid 170's. I know if it gets into the 180's I am pushing myself a little harder than I'd like.
    I've found that with running over the past year I average 100 calories burned for every 10 minutes of running.
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Think about it... A bigger person has to work that much harder than a thinner person. So while someone maybe burn only 400 calories running, a heavier person will burn that many calories, or even more, walking, because they have to put forth that much more effort. Heart rates and cals burned are different for everyone b/c there are so many different variables. The thinner or more in shape you become, the less effort you'll have to put forth in your workouts and the less calories you'll burn. As long as you feel comfortable working out, I wouldn't worry about your heart rate as compared to others.
  • j_courter
    j_courter Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    hi! i'm doing the c25k program now (just finished week 5, day 3). my heart rate has varied quite a bit since i started. i used to get up to the 180s but now that my body is more used to the running, my average heart rate has dropped. for the 5-8 minute runs i was hanging out in the mids 150s-160s, but for my 20 minute run today i averaged 170s... if you want to see a progression, i've shared my hr with my running buddies here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/311661-c25k-starting-8-8-open-group-for-encouragement?page=7#posts-4553721 i use this calculator to figure calorie burn, but i have no idea how accurate it is: http://www.triathlontrainingblog.com/calculators/calories-burned-calculator-based-on-average-heart-rate/

if you have any questions, feel free to message me and add me as a friend! :smile:
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    my target HR is 130-170 when I run it usually hangs out in the 180s

Exactly the same for me.
  • toadiejones
    toadiejones Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you.

I have a Polar FT60. Yesterday I ran on the treadmill (at 5.5 as well) for 30 minutes (with 5 min warm-up & cooldown & 4 1min walking intervals at 4mph) and only burned 175 calories. Average hr was 132. Max was 163. And I was sucking wind on the last run interval and pouring with sweat so its not like I am taking it easy. And I never get a burn over 100 with 30DS. If I do a 1.5 hour hard bike ride, I'm lucky if I get to 300. It is extremely discouraging when I see others with huge burns. I saw someone who said they don't even log the activity if its under 200. I would be screwed.

I try to tell myself that my heart is fit and my body just doesn't know it. :laugh: I'm 35, about 10lbs away from my goal weight, was a former athlete, never smoked & don't drink - I often wonder if the low burns are a result of that.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Think about it... A bigger person has to work that much harder than a thinner person. So while someone maybe burn only 400 calories running, a heavier person will burn that many calories, or even more, walking, because they have to put forth that much more effort. Heart rates and cals burned are different for everyone b/c there are so many different variables. The thinner or more in shape you become, the less effort you'll have to put forth in your workouts and the less calories you'll burn. As long as you feel comfortable working out, I wouldn't worry about your heart rate as compared to others.

When walking, a mouse has a much higher heart rate than an elephant dragging logs. Who do you think burns the most calories though?
  • catdoc1
    catdoc1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Mine's in the 160s when I'm sucking wind. I think it varies by person, perceived exertion, and fitness level. I do think MFP over estimates calories, so I've been advised to trust my HRM and I adjust my calories burned on MFP based on that instead of what the computer says.
    Laura
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you.

I have a Polar FT60. Yesterday I ran on the treadmill (at 5.5 as well) for 30 minutes (with 5 min warm-up & cooldown & 4 1min walking intervals at 4mph) and only burned 175 calories. Average hr was 132. Max was 163. And I was sucking wind on the last run interval and pouring with sweat so its not like I am taking it easy. And I never get a burn over 100 with 30DS. If I do a 1.5 hour hard bike ride, I'm lucky if I get to 300. It is extremely discouraging when I see others with huge burns. I saw someone who said they don't even log the activity if its under 200. I would be screwed.

I try to tell myself that my heart is fit and my body just doesn't know it. :laugh: I'm 35, about 10lbs away from my goal weight, was a former athlete, never smoked & don't drink - I often wonder if the low burns are a result of that.

Glad to know I'm not the only one whose heart rate doesn't get as high. I am still 30-50lbs from my ultimate goal, so... while I'm much more fit than when I started, I'm not there yet. I guess I too will keep telling myself that my heart is very fit!!! I've always had a pretty low resting heart rate... even at my heaviest. I used to be an athlete when younger... never smoked, and... I don't drink much at all anymore either. Guess I won't worry about it!
  • olo567
    olo567 Posts: 50 Member
    Options

When walking, a mouse has a much higher heart rate than an elephant dragging logs. Who do you think burns the most calories though?

Uhh, you're comparing two different species with vastly different muscle groups and circulatory systems. If you run a 10 minute mile, then cool down and run a 10 minute mile while having a 50 lb sandbag strapped around your waist, do you think your heartrate will be higher? Do you think you'd burn more calories? Of course you would.
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options

We're not talking mice and elephants. If a 5'5 125lbs woman and a 5'5" 190lbs woman do the same work out for the same amount of time, the heavier woman is going to have to work harder, have a higher heart rate, and burn more calories.
  • toadiejones
    toadiejones Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I've always had a pretty low resting heart rate... even at my heaviest.

Me too. Had a doctor once joke that that my hr was so mellow that I was barely alive. haha?
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I'm 178 lbs...before starting C25K my heart rate rocketed to the 170s within a few minutes of jogging. After having done it for seven weeks, I found that I hit 160-170 and maintained once I had been running for 15-20 mins. My resting heart rate decreased from mid-high 60s to about 53 after about five weeks of the training.

When I do the 30DS, my heart rate is in the 160s-170s during the strength intervals using legs a lot and 170s to 180 when doing the cardio segments. It drops to 140s during ab intervals. I burn about 350 cals during those 25 mins!!! I'm covered and DRIPPING in sweat when I'm done. ;o)

I've noticed I burn about 10 calories per minute when working at a 150-160 range...when I'm working in the 170s it's more like 15 cals a minute.
  • kysue1029
    kysue1029 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Mine ranges from 160-185 while running hard. At the beginning it's obviously not that high.
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    On average, my HR while working out is about 145-155. If you are looking for a higher calorie burn for the same amount of time, try interval training- that's what I do. Sprint for 30 sec to 60 sec every 5 min or so- do it the entire hour you are on the treadmill. I bet you will burn an extra 250 calories for the same amount of time.

The body actually burns more calories trying to speed up your HR and then lowering it back down and then raising it again- try it if you wan to. I can tell you it does work wonders.
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM...for 30DS and ripped in 30....my max HR is usually 185 and the avg HR is 158 for me....but they also factor in age, weight, height and some VO2 max.....so its hard to compare to someone else. Generally, the more in shape you are, the less you will burn in the same amount of time as someone out of shape b/c your heart doesnt have to work as hard.
    For 30DS my HRM give me between 250-300 cals burned each session....but I am very out of shape and with an avg HR of 158....I have tried many online calculators and I have had my VO2 tested and this is accurate for me.
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    My HR when walking at a fast pace is usually 160 - 170
    running has been 180 - 190
    most of this is done on hills because i have been doing this outside in my neighborhood recently

during 30DS, my HR has been anywhere from 110 (during abs) to 160 to 170 (for cardio portions)

the better shape you are in, the lower RESTING HR you have.. extreme athletes are known to have a resting heart rate of even 50 beats per min! and average is about 80 bpm for RHR... which is taken right when you get up in the morning before your feet hit the ground.

whenever i 'start' my HRM before a workout, it says my heart rate is like 118 or 125 or something because i have been walking around doing stuff or changing into my workout clothes or whatever throughout the day and that's not my resting. which some people think that it is! like some people said before, there are TONS of variables!

(someone may have already said this, as i have just read the first 8 posts or so of the thread before replying!)