Surviving on 1450 calories

Any tips on losing weight on 1450 calories.

I am combining it with strength training.

Replies

• Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    What sort of tips are you after? Assuming that's the number that MFP gave you for a sensible weight loss rate, just eat that many calories per day. Don't eat less.

In theory, you can eat what you like but some people find that carbs make them feel fuller for longer, others find this with protein or fat. It's trial and error but do make sure you're getting enough protein regardless, especially if you're strength training. The suggestion I've read most often on here is to aim for 0.8g-1g protein for 1lb of your body weight.

Strength training is good for toning, but some cardio will give you extra calories to eat (which you may find helpful for meal planning).

Be aware that, as you lose weight, you should adjust your calories downwards every so often, as you need fewer calories to fuel your lighter self. Roughly every 10lb or so, go back to the Guided Set up and re-save.

A few questions though - as you say 'surviving', presumably you think that's not a lot. How tall are you, how much do you weigh, how much do you need to lose and what rate of weight loss did you select in the set-up? The most successful way to lose weight is to not make it so difficult that you give up.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited November 2020
    1450 would be my 'gone-over-target' day. Today, I had 1440 calories and it felt like I was eating all day long - which I was!
  • Strudders67
    MsCzar wrote: »
    1450 would be my 'gone-over-target' day. Today, I had 1440 calories and it felt like I was eating all day long - which I was!

Not a competition, but I get 1340 a day (before exercise); it was 1200 whilst losing. However, I'm just over 5' tall and now only weigh 105lbs, so the low number is to be expected. Height etc matter, hence my last few questions to the OP.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited November 2020
    lol - not at all competing. :D Just saying that 1450 can either feel like starvation or as if you're eating quite a bit. So my tip would be to seek out foods that are filling and satisfying. Before limiting my daily calories and losing 60 lb/27kg, 1450 would have felt fairly limiting. Now - aiming for 1200 per day, 1450 feels like a very generous amount of food. So it might just be a matter of perspective and learning how to distribute those calories. I've gotten so many good tips here and it's helped quite a bit. <3
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    I am 4'11 and exercise 6 days a week usually and hit goal weight on Thanksgiving. 🐥 I calculated at least 1700 to maintain if not more depending how my body reacts. Did you do a tdee calculator?
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    @Squatcleananddeadlift

We don’t have enough info to help you.

Are you male or female? Height? Weight? Goal weight? What rate of loss did you select in MFP? Did you enter an accurate activity level for yourself?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    Any tips on losing weight on 1450 calories.

I am combining it with strength training.

:lol:

Eat 1450.

Continue your strength training.

Ta da.

I mean, what Dogmom says...what kind of info are you lacking?

• :D

So I am female, 5'1 and currently weigh 191.5lb. Basically I made a bet to get to 156lb by April 2020... so the fact I have 2k riding on this is by the by. I have lost 10lb so far.

I don't really know what I was asking but found the responses helpful so thank you.
  • Strudders67
    Congratulations on losing 10lbs - but depending on what period that has been in, be aware that you lose a lot of water weight initially.

I assume you mean April 2021 which means that you're hoping to lose 35.5lb in 4 months. Almost 9lb a month. My guess is that you selected to lose 2lb a week. No wonder you used the word 'surviving'. It's just about fine at the moment but very soon will become unsustainable without under-eating, which isn't good for your health in general.

If you really did mean April 2020 and have blown that bet anyway, select a more reasonable rate of loss - with under 40lbs to lose, 1.5lb a week would be more sensible, dropping to 1lb a week when you get to 30lbs to go and then down to 0.5lb a week for the last 20lb. The last 20lb typically take a long time to lose.

If you choose to ignore this, you'll still need to go back to the Guided Setup screen, roughly every 5-10lb lost and re-Save.The number of calories allocated / required, per day, will reduce as your weight goes down.
  • Anabirgite
    Anabirgite Posts: 501 Member
    For lunch I often have a can of tuna and 6 ounces- 9 ounces of romaine with a variety of veggies(tomatoes, colored bell peppers, cucumbers, bean sprouts, celery, whatever I can chop up also Wilden Farms makes a calorie free dressing so I can limit my mayo to 1 tablespoon and be generous with the dressing). I am very active so I have more calories in a day but I am also more concern on having a variety of fruits and veggies of every color. I snack on cottage cheese with stevia and cinnamon or melted blueberries.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    It depends on how many calories you burn and if you actually stick to it. If you’re in a deficit then you will lose. On sedentary days, I maintain at 1450 so would not lose weight.
  • Strudders67
    I hope to goodness this is a personal bet amongst family, and not another one of those gym deals we see so often here. The house always wins on that bet.

As soon as I read the word 'bet' and the amount at stake I thought it was one of those gym things.

OP, losing at 9lb a month is probably not going to be sustainable unless you seriously under-eat. Under-eating, over several months, can do damage to your muscles (including your heart), hair and nails and is really really not recommended.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    OK, I'm maintaining at 1720 for the last 6 months. But when I was at 1500 I tried to keep to 300, 300, 400, 400, which was 300 for breakfast and lunch, 400 for dinner and 400 of snacks throughout the day. I can give you examples if you care.
  • Happyhel2020
    Happyhel2020 Posts: 6 Member
    OK, I'm maintaining at 1720 for the last 6 months. But when I was at 1500 I tried to keep to 300, 300, 400, 400, which was 300 for breakfast and lunch, 400 for dinner and 400 of snacks throughout the day. I can give you examples if you care.

I would be interested in examples please if the OP wouldn't mind me jumping on this thread. Thank you
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member

I would be interested in examples please if the OP wouldn't mind me jumping on this thread. Thank you

I can give a 300 cal lunch (it’s literally almost my everyday lunch 😝)

2 servings cottage cheese
    1 danon light n fit yogurt
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Breakfast 67 grams of granola, wheaties, oats mic, sliced banana, strawberries and skim milk. Coffee.

Lunch, 2 cups (1 large can), Progresso Roasted chicken Noodle soup, apple, carrot and mini popcorn cakes.

Dinner, 10 giant shrimp sauteed with three large shallots in butter, 2.5 oz very thin spaghetti.