How do you get over this mindset?

Options
Trying to get some advice on this mindset I'm having.

It takes me 1 hour to exercise (burn about 300 calories) and takes me minutes to eat all those calories back. Is this in the back of everyone's mind or is it just me?

Replies

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Maybe reconsider why you should exercise?
    Health, fitness, strength, body composition - perhaps even enjoyment! :wink:

Plus the weight loss benefit of being able to eat more while keeping the deficit you selected which makes it far easier to hit nutritional goals on a bigger calorie allowance and maybe have some room for "fun foods" too.

I'm a very high exerciser as I'm retired with plenty of time, really enjoy my exercise and my sport entails a very high calorie burn and matching food intake but I still can't have a complete eating free-for-all.

There's a reason many people say the masseter muscles are the strongest muscles in the body. :smiley:

^^^

I enjoy lifting weights and I enjoy some forms of cardio (not running, running is evil).

I do the exercise I enjoy because I enjoy it and it makes me feel better overall. It’s nice that it also allows me to eat dessert or have a night out on the weekend where I don’t have to worry about blowing my entire deficit for the week.

• nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Perhaps compartmentalize exercise for fitness and calories for nutrition.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    weight3049 wrote: »

It takes me 1 hour to exercise (burn about 300 calories) and takes me minutes to eat all those calories back. Is this in the back of everyone's mind or is it just me?

Hmmm...I guess I don't really think of it that way. I don't really think of calories from exercise as "different"...they simply add to what I require from an overall energy standpoint...they are just a fractional part of the whole.

I burn a boatload of calories just being alive...I burn more calories going about my day to day business and I burn calories through regular exercise. All of that adds up to my total requirement...if I eat less than what my body requires, I will burn bodyfat to reconcile the energy deficiency...if I eat up to my requirements, I will maintain the status quo...if I eat over my requirements on a consistent basis, that surplus energy will be stored as bodyfat.

For most people (outside of being an athlete or training like one), regular exercise is only going to provide for a small fraction of their total energy (calorie) requirements. This is why diet has a far more pronounced impact on weight management. Regular exercise has numerous physical and mental health benefits and can also be a whole heck of a lot of fun.

As weight management goes, the greatest benefit of regular exercise for myself is that it makes me feel good...it makes me feel healthy...and in turn makes me want to eat in a way that promotes health. When I'm exercising regularly, I also tend to eat more healthfully. I was injured for a few months over the summer and unable to do much of anything exercise wise and noticed that my diet slipped during that time as well...I was more inclined to sit on my couch eating Doritos and feeling sorry for myself than I was to make a nice big garden salad with grilled chicken.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,130 Member
    Options
    weight3049 wrote: »

I don't really think of it that way: I think of it more as having a calorie budget, with things that add to my credit balance (daily activity, exercise), and things that subtract from it (food, drink). As with a financial budget there are certain necessities I need to cover from my budget as first priority (nutrition would be the analog of stuff like rent & utilities), then if I'm fortunate enough to have discretionary calories, I can spend my those on stuff that's more for fun than necessity.

I'm probably helped in that by a pretty long-term internalized view of exercise as being for fun (I love my main activity so much I'd do it even if it weren't good for me, honestly), and for long term independence and health (I'm already age 65, wishing I'd started down the exercise road earlier in life for those reasons). I've been very active for much longer (12+ years longer) than I've been at a healthy weight (5+ years so far since major loss), which probably contributes to my not equating exercise as such to calories in the way you are talking about.
  • djaxon1
    djaxon1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Accept it.
    I think that it should be highlighted much more than it is.
    " It is reality ." " . . some high calorie foods/treats aren't worth (it) " etc. as already mentioned above.
    A UK news report at beginning of this year stated that people ate less of foods when told the "exercise equivalent " eg = 90 minutes walking, as well as cals.
  • SeanD2407
    SeanD2407 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Look at it as an hour of exercise to eat an extra 150 to 200 calories. That could be a protein bar, dressing for salad, butter or cheese for a sammie w.e. basically an hour to get some flavor in your food
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Everyone prior has said things a lot more eloquently than I would, so I'll just say I agree with previous advice =)

Personal perspective from my household:

-I exercise to be fitter/stronger/faster. The biggest tip I got when I started at a gym with trainers was "Don't log your exercise". They helped me set a healthy calorie budget that factored in exercise burn and told me to eat the same every day regardless of my workout style. That really helped me break away from the mindset of "I have to do x mins to earn this food" and instead let me focus on strength gains and such.

-My husband is doing everything on his own with no outside advice (not even me). He still views exercise as a punishment/taking time away from pleasure hobbies, and the only workouts he does are the ones with highest burn for shortest time (aka cardio only). He will not do anything that burns less or takes longer. I'm very proud of him for losing 100 lbs so far, but also a little sad that he won't do anything to recomp his body. He won't even give it a chance because he has never adjusted his mindset away from "I can burn this many calories doing x for y mins, that is most effective so that is all I do"
  • djaxon1
    djaxon1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I like this " . . calorie "bombs" . ."
  • kmbrunson1
    kmbrunson1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Eat what makes your body feel full and energized to fuel your workout, don't workout to "earn" certain foods that only give you a moment of pleasure, it's just not worth it in the long run