Keto friends

Options
2»

Replies

• angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Tpickens93 wrote: »
    Any ideas on how to keep my protein grams down and increase fat grams?

Well a servin should be no more than 4 fingers wide and as thick as your hands in prayer for protein and fat about 3 tbsp
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

It's a myth that you need to keep protein down. @psuLemon can probably explain this better than me. And fat only needs to be high enough that you're getting adequate calories. Unless you're doing therapeutic keto (ie for something like epilepsy). Low carb is the important bit for ketosis, and even that many people can eat higher than the oft-spouted 20-25g net carbs and still achieve ketosis.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

It's a myth that you need to keep protein down. @psuLemon can probably explain this better than me. And fat only needs to be high enough that you're getting adequate calories. Unless you're doing therapeutic keto (ie for something like epilepsy). Low carb is the important bit for ketosis, and even that many people can eat higher than the oft-spouted 20-25g net carbs and still achieve ketosis.

Truth. Reducing protein and increasing fat is a good way to lose muscle mass. Mass muscle is not only what makes a body strong, but it's the major driver of your metabolic rate, and is what gets you lean.

If you look at the studies by phinney or volkey, protein tends to be 20-30%, which turns out to be around 1.5-2.2g/kg of weight. Another way to look at it is about .8-1g/lb of gw.

The focus should limiting carbs, hitting adequate protein and letting fat fall out based on satiety. Force feeding fat, is a good way to keep that fat. The goal is to burn body fat, not the fat you eat.
  • silverpl2525
    silverpl2525 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I don't intentionally add fat. However I do cook with both ghee and avocado oil, take a spoonful of unrefined coconut oil everyday for the MCTs, and snack on fatty nuts that are low carb.
  • path7975
    path7975 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Because I have been baking keto cookies for gifts over the last couple of weeks I’ve also been eating them which is not good news. I didn’t track them so the weight has gone up thank God Christmas is only once a year. I have my last lot of cookies to ice & pack for my neighbours then don’t have to do anything else apart from make 2 trifles for 2 of my children. My youngest daughters husband is making Christmas dinner as my daughter can’t as she has a broken wrist.
    Happy holidays to you all & enjoy yourselves in whatever form that takes. ☃️🙏🎄🛷🎁💋
  • silverpl2525
    silverpl2525 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Oh ya, keto is hard over the holidays. I'll be having a few cheat days, and I know it will throw me out of ketosis. Hey, I need a break every now and then! Once January hits I'll be right back to my strict keto diet.
  • quixoticcriss
    quixoticcriss Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If I'm not too late to the party, I'd love an accountability buddy. I started keto on the 6th of December and while I feel great and am watching the scale go in the right direction for the first time in years, I am the only keto in a family of four. The others refuse to even entertain the foods that might possibly be keto. I need to cook 2 different dishes at every meal.
  • path7975
    path7975 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If I'm not too late to the party, I'd love an accountability buddy. I started keto on the 6th of December and while I feel great and am watching the scale go in the right direction for the first time in years, I am the only keto in a family of four. The others refuse to even entertain the foods that might possibly be keto. I need to cook 2 different dishes at every meal.

Would love to help (l cook keto meals my friends don’t know are keto) but don’t know how to add you as a friend if anyone knows how please let me know.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I don't quite understand the "refuse to entertain foods that might be keto" thing. If I have a meal of fish, veg, and potatoes, the only part that isn't "keto" is the potato, so I could have more of the other two dishes (or add nuts or cottage cheese on the side), and everyone else could have the potatoes.

If doing a pasta dish, you could add your sauce/protein on zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash or cauliflower rice and let everyone else do standard pasta. (Over the past couple of days, I made a meat sauce I could otherwise use on pasta and have been using it to stuff kabocha squash instead.)

You can do a stew without potatoes or noodles or whatever and cook those separately to add at the end for others in the family. You can do a huge salad and have bread on the side for others.

Most of what all of us eat are potentially keto, since presumably we don't all eat only single-pot meals, so I am curious what the dishes are that are being avoided -- are you trying to do stuff like meathead pizza on the reg? (I did keto for a while and have yet to try one specifically "keto" recipe or any "keto treats" but for a non-sweetened ice cream I played around with (the texture never worked out, but it made an amazing--but high cal--cardamom affogato).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I don't quite understand the "refuse to entertain foods that might be keto" thing. If I have a meal of fish, veg, and potatoes, the only part that isn't "keto" is the potato, so I could have more of the other two dishes (or add nuts or cottage cheese on the side), and everyone else could have the potatoes.

If doing a pasta dish, you could add your sauce/protein on zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash or cauliflower rice and let everyone else do standard pasta. (Over the past couple of days, I made a meat sauce I could otherwise use on pasta and have been using it to stuff kabocha squash instead.)

You can do a stew without potatoes or noodles or whatever and cook those separately to add at the end for others in the family. You can do a huge salad and have bread on the side for others.

Most of what all of us eat are potentially keto, since presumably we don't all eat only single-pot meals, so I am curious what the dishes are that are being avoided -- are you trying to do stuff like meathead pizza on the reg? (I did keto for a while and have yet to try one specifically "keto" recipe or any "keto treats" but for a non-sweetened ice cream I played around with (the texture never worked out, but it made an amazing--but high cal--cardamom affogato).

I suspect it's a lot of the replacements (i.e., zoodles instead of pasta). I can certainly understand that. Ironically, some of my recipes are huge hits in my extended family and 99% of them didn't realize it was keto friendly. A few of those such items are my pumpkin pie, carrot cake and my even my chaffles (keto waffles). I find that if people don't know what they are eating, they are more open. And since I cycle keto, people in my family don't know if I am keto at the moment or not.

But I also cook for a family of 4. Most of what I cook is meat and veggies. If I am doing burgers, I will give my family rolls and I will just have more meat.
  • quixoticcriss
    quixoticcriss Posts: 5 Member
    Options

What I mean is that my family likes a lot of thigs that just aren't keto friendly. Like Shake & Bake and pasta dishes and foods with sauces that have hidden sugars. When I try to simplify and make foods without all the added sugar and/or grains, I am met with flat-out refusal to eat the prepared meals. My SO even insists on brining poultry, in a sugar/salt solution, so I am forced to make two different preparations.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

I suspect it's a lot of the replacements (i.e., zoodles instead of pasta). I can certainly understand that.

Me too, but that's why I mentioned doing that for one's self and everyone else having pasta.
    Ironically, some of my recipes are huge hits in my extended family and 99% of them didn't realize it was keto friendly. A few of those such items are my pumpkin pie, carrot cake and my even my chaffles (keto waffles). I find that if people don't know what they are eating, they are more open. And since I cycle keto, people in my family don't know if I am keto at the moment or not.

Yeah, makes sense. I haven't tried any keto alternative recipes since, well, I'm not actually keto, but also I rarely eat baked goods like that anyway, so usually can make them work when I do.
    But I also cook for a family of 4. Most of what I cook is meat and veggies. If I am doing burgers, I will give my family rolls and I will just have more meat.

Right, exactly what I was thinking would be easy.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    What I mean is that my family likes a lot of thigs that just aren't keto friendly. Like Shake & Bake and pasta dishes and foods with sauces that have hidden sugars. When I try to simplify and make foods without all the added sugar and/or grains, I am met with flat-out refusal to eat the prepared meals. My SO even insists on brining poultry, in a sugar/salt solution, so I am forced to make two different preparations.

Ah. I guess unrelated to carbs I didn't really eat sauces with sugar or the like anyway. For me cutting carbs just meant reducing the portion of starchy side added to the dinner, not changing up my sauces/marinades/rubs.

With shake and bake, couldn't you just not put it on your pieces and let them have theirs? You could try something like parm on yours instead, and they might be jealous, or just cook it without (I roast chicken skin on, bone in, with just salt and pepper all the time (or maybe some other spices, like paprika, or garlic and lemon, or butter), and it's as good as anything could be). They might be interested in trying something that comes out well and smells good, even if their pieces were shake and bake or whatnot.

With pasta, like I said, maybe make a sauce that works well on what you are putting it on, but also works with pasta for them. It's fine if they have grains, isn't it? (I had some other similar examples in the prior post.)

Re the brining, do your brine and get them to try it.

psulemon is right that if you just make a sauce or some sort of treat without it being a "keto replacement sauce" so they expect it to be worse, it will likely not be met with resistance.