Egg calories

I noticed that my fitness pal lists large eggs at 71 calories, and a scrambled egg at 150 calories. Seems like a very large difference. Anybody have an explanation? When I scramble an egg, I don’t add anything. I just scramble it.

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    People add their own entries into the database. Best to always double check with the packaging or the USDA website.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I noticed that my fitness pal lists large eggs at 71 calories, and a scrambled egg at 150 calories. Seems like a very large difference. Anybody have an explanation? When I scramble an egg, I don’t add anything. I just scramble it.

An entry like "scrambled eggs" is some random persons entry for their scrambled eggs...if you have scrambled eggs, just add the entry for your eggs and whatever oil you use.
  • jessiemeckle
    jessiemeckle Posts: 118 Member
    I find it more accurate to enter each ingredient than choose a generic "scrambled eggs". That person who added the entry probably used oil or butter in their eggs.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Just use the calorie count on the egg carton...
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Also possible that the person who made that entry scrambled 2 eggs, with a drop of milk perhaps? Absolutely no way to know what an entry like that really is 🤷‍♀️

Which is why it’s better, as already mentioned to add the egg(s) and any additions separately in your diary. Then you know exactly where you are!

I’ve always added a splash (maybe a tbsp) of milk per egg for scrambled. And a tsp of butter.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Most of the user entered items are wrong. You see some really goofy things in the database. and it just gets worse and worse as more wrong items are added. And, MFP is too lazy to write code to remove them when no one much uses them (which is the solution). So, I ignore them.