50+ women getting ready for 2021!

Options

Replies

• bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    sunlovr wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I definitely need community! I am tired of being overweight. Hopefully I am posting right?

What a cute kitty as your profile pic!

Yes you posted. 😀
  • bebeisfit
    Options
    Hey all you fabulous over 50 women. I was thinking of starting a new group for women over 50. But limiting it to maybe 25-35 people, some will naturally drop out as they no longer are active.

Some of the other groups get so large and I feel lost amongst the masses. And I feel like I need to weed through so much.

I'm looking for active members who will encourage others. Maybe a weekly challange not tied to the scale. Recipe swap?. Best practices/tips. YouTube & book recommendations. What am I missing?

I haven't formed the group yet and I think it needs to be a private one so we can keep it small.

Thoughts? Suggestions welcome.

Also if you'd prefer to just be friends go ahead and send a request WITH a short note..I'm never sure who these random requests are from (call me paranoid of internet creeps).

Hope you all are having a great Friday and are meeting your goals.
  • sandypoint1267
    sandypoint1267 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am also a thyroid cancer survivor. Had my total thyroid removed in 2012. Always had weight issues, but now it much more difficult. I am on thyroid medication and my levels fluctuate a lot which affects my weight and my ability to lose weight. So far I am liking MFP . I have lost 20 pounds in a little over two months. Weight loss is slowing down now, but still losing. Slow but steady .
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    bebeisfit wrote: »
    Hey all you fabulous over 50 women. I was thinking of starting a new group for women over 50. But limiting it to maybe 25-35 people, some will naturally drop out as they no longer are active.

Some of the other groups get so large and I feel lost amongst the masses. And I feel like I need to weed through so much.

I used to moderate the Holiday challenge group a few years ago, and it's hard to keep a group active without a really big base (like the low carb group or groups), since some don't post and some drop out and so on. I'd make it open to a bigger group to make sure you have a core group that participates. I would love such a group, though -- think it would be fun and inspiring.
  • newdoda
    newdoda Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am also a thyroid cancer survivor. Had my total thyroid removed in 2012. Always had weight issues, but now it much more difficult. I am on thyroid medication and my levels fluctuate a lot which affects my weight and my ability to lose weight. So far I am liking MFP . I have lost 20 pounds in a little over two months. Weight loss is slowing down now, but still losing. Slow but steady .

You are doing FANTASTIC! 20 LBS in 2 months is INCREDIBLE! I'm absolutely 💯 ecstatic for you because I know how incredibly hard it is to lose. Keep up that great work, slow and steady wins the your race 🤩
  • newdoda
    newdoda Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Oh, sandypoint1267, I forgot I read a GREAT book recently by Kate Deering How to Heal Your Metabolism, that has a wealth if info for anyone really but in particular thyroid and food. Just in case you are interestec.
  • bebeisfit
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

I used to moderate the Holiday challenge group a few years ago, and it's hard to keep a group active without a really big base (like the low carb group or groups), since some don't post and some drop out and so on. I'd make it open to a bigger group to make sure you have a core group that participates. I would love such a group, though -- think it would be fun and inspiring.

Thanks for the imput. I guess I was hoping if someone joined, they would participate, but I realize so many people post a few times and then move on, never to be seen again ... I may have done that in the past, lol.

• RunningMaven57
    RunningMaven57 Posts: 24 Member
    Options

I'm looking for active members who will encourage others. Maybe a weekly challange not tied to the scale. Recipe swap?. Best practices/tips. YouTube & book recommendations. What am I missing?

I haven't formed the group yet and I think it needs to be a private one so we can keep it small.

Thoughts? Suggestions welcome.

Also if you'd prefer to just be friends go ahead and send a request WITH a short note..I'm never sure who these random requests are from (call me paranoid of internet creeps).

Hope you all are having a great Friday and are meeting your goals.

I think moving this to a group would be great, as it'll provide a platform to start/post discussions on a variety of topics, which will make it so much easier to follow and be involved.

As for member limits, not so keen on that. If people participate, great. If not, that's ok, as everyone has different comfort levels and time availability. I'd be much more interested/concerned about the quality of discussions and the content shared. Relationships will grow from there.
  • RunningMaven57
    RunningMaven57 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Over the past decade, my body shape is definitely not what it use to be. Over the course of a year (and I'm not kidding about this), I went up into the double letter cup sizes making finding clothes that fit a real challenge. And can we please talk about style?! Too many clothiers still cater to the young, forgetting there's a whole demographic of us who like looking smart, seeking clothes that better fit our unique personalities.

If anyone can point me to sites you really like, please share. I'm a tall woman (5'8.5"), who wears between a 10 and 14, depending on the manufacturer and how they're sizing goes. Biggest issues are long legs paired with a very short waist, along with that ample chest area.

Thanks for the advice!
  • LifeILuvUFeelinGroovy
    Options
    Yes! This sounds perfect! I'm 54 and need to really focus on my health and losing about 30lbs, please count me in!
  • Rpod196
    Rpod196 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 56 years old. I have done WW in the past with great success. I maintained my weight for about 6 years, I believe. Without ww. I have had a Fitbit for at least that long. It seemed to be if I get at least 12,500 steps a day, that I could keep the weight off. This year has been a different story. I hurt my leg so couldn't walk, that got better then I hurt my back. In activity and lost any control over my food intake. Weight has gone way up. I am determined that I can get better control, and will exercise at least 5 days a week. Looking forward to having like mined people to chat with.
  • Anabirgite
    Anabirgite Posts: 501 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Wow, just read all your posts, am 55, so right in the middle. Love you all after reading your posts, they really need a love tab- so many of your posts, needed a I really, really, really liked what you said response! Been here a year and a half- but met my goal and became lazy and now am back. Right now struggling with not being able to cross the menopause line...the 50s seems to be a special age for women that you only understand when you are living it. All of you are so impressive! Hope to continue reading more about your accomplishments.
  • jwcomputergirl
    jwcomputergirl Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Me too! I'm 59 and I'm back to MFP! Back in 2012 I successfully lost 40 lbs with the support of the amazing MFP community and the great MFP tools. I've been able to keep the weight off until... LOCKDOWN. And... UGH... I've gained 20 lbs since March, thanks to boredom eating, stress eating, no gym access. I'm frustrated with myself because I KNOW better! So here I am... ready to start logging again and looking forward to reading amazing inspirational stories and posts again!
  • bebeisfit
    Options

I think moving this to a group would be great, as it'll provide a platform to start/post discussions on a variety of topics, which will make it so much easier to follow and be involved.

As for member limits, not so keen on that. If people participate, great. If not, that's ok, as everyone has different comfort levels and time availability. I'd be much more interested/concerned about the quality of discussions and the content shared. Relationships will grow from there.
    [/quote]

Good points! I will form the group this week.

Now to think of a name. There are several groups named women over 50..one is fabulous. So what can we call ourselves?

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I'm terrible at coming up with names. I've been trying to think of something good, but no luck so far.
  • runrmomma
    runrmomma Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I just started tonight. I traced all the food i ate and im over 1000 calories over. Gosh, i eat a lot of unneccessary foods.

That's a great first step!
  • runrmomma
    Options
    Hi There! I'm not "new" per se but have really only used the app to track foods. I could really use the accountability...2020 has not been my most stellar year for health. I am 53 and have about 40lbs to lose. I love to run and just purchased a treadmill so I'm planning to start there and add some bootcamp/strength training type classes (on an app) as well. :)
  • runrmomma
    Options

Good points! I will form the group this week.

Now to think of a name. There are several groups named women over 50..one is fabulous. So what can we call ourselves?

[/quote]

I would love to be a part of your group! Definitely looking to engage and be an accountability partner. :smile: How do I join?