Figuring out my Calorie Intake and Macros

Options
Good Evening,

Freshly new here..and struggling. Very interested in logging my food and committing to exercise in hopes of losing 10-15 pounds. Based on some calculations my current numbers have been the following for week one.

Daily Calorie Goal: 1,300
Current Macros: 25% Carbs- 30% Fat, 45% Protein

I’m a 31 year old female, 5’2 currently weighing at 137.
Activity level: Exercise 5x week.

I would appreciate any guidance!

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP 👋🏿 Do you have a specific question about your macros or comment on what has been challenging for you so far?
  • zeemind0129
    zeemind0129 Posts: 10 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Thank you! :)
    So for the past week I had been logging everything I eat along with the daily exercise but my scale showed I gained a pound :/

At this point I just want to make sure I’m following something that will work! I’m just not sure if my macros are right, did I miss something?
  • zeemind0129
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    So for the past week I had been logging everything I eat along with the daily exercise but my scale showed I gained a pound :/

At this point I just want to make sure I’m following something that will work! I’m just not sure if my macros are right, did I miss something?

Weight fluctuates, so I wouldn't be too concerned with the increase, particularly if you only weighed once (ie start weight, then weighed again a week later). Things like where you are in your monthly cycle, sodium intake, and starting or increasing exercise (intensity or duration) can all cause a (temporary) spike in scale weight.

Calories are what dictates weight loss/gain/maintenance, macros are more for satiety and body composition (eg adequate protein to minimise muscle loss). That said, your protein seems high. A better way to calculate macros is by grams according to body weight/lean body mass. For protein, a good goal is 1g per lb of lbm, or 0.6-0.8g per lb of ideal/goal weight. Of course if you enjoy the higher protein and it's not crowding out other things, that's fine.

Thanks for your feedback! I figured it’s ok for the spike in scale weight for the first week given the way my body might react to the change. So with that said, should I stick to my current plan and see how week #2 goes?

As for the protein I haven’t really been hitting my daily goal of 147 grams. I’m barely at 90-100 grams by the end of the day.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

Weight fluctuates, so I wouldn't be too concerned with the increase, particularly if you only weighed once (ie start weight, then weighed again a week later). Things like where you are in your monthly cycle, sodium intake, and starting or increasing exercise (intensity or duration) can all cause a (temporary) spike in scale weight.

Calories are what dictates weight loss/gain/maintenance, macros are more for satiety and body composition (eg adequate protein to minimise muscle loss). That said, your protein seems high. A better way to calculate macros is by grams according to body weight/lean body mass. For protein, a good goal is 1g per lb of lbm, or 0.6-0.8g per lb of ideal/goal weight. Of course if you enjoy the higher protein and it's not crowding out other things, that's fine.

Thanks for your feedback! I figured it’s ok for the spike in scale weight for the first week given the way my body might react to the change. So with that said, should I stick to my current plan and see how week #2 goes?

As for the protein I haven’t really been hitting my daily goal of 147 grams. I’m barely at 90-100 grams by the end of the day.

Yep, stick at it for 6 weeks, actually. Though, potentially your calorie target may be a bit low, particularly depending on what you're doing for exercise. Ideally with only 10-15 lbs to lose, you should be aiming for 1/2 a lb per week loss (yes, I know that seems slow). How did you calculate your calorie goal?

I would think 100g of protein would be just fine for you.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I would increase the protein a little if you can. Cottage cheese is a high protein low cal option.

That said, with so little to lose, you aren’t going to see any large drops on the scale. You’re looking at .5 lbs a week tops and that’s if you track and log PERFECTLY. Do you use a food scale to measure your food? Pick accurate entries in the database (hint many of them are wrong)? Are you eating back exercise calories? Are you accurately “guessing” at calories burned (everything is really a best guess and none of this is perfect)?
  • zeemind0129
    Options

Yep, stick at it for 6 weeks, actually. Though, potentially your calorie target may be a bit low, particularly depending on what you're doing for exercise. Ideally with only 10-15 lbs to lose, you should be aiming for 1/2 a lb per week loss (yes, I know that seems slow). How did you calculate your calorie goal?

Haven’t been able to hit the gym due to COVID-19 but mainly an hour on the treadmill between incline walking/running. Starting next week I will incorporate core workout routine.

When I set up my MFP I filled the goals section (aiming to lose 1.5 lb per week) and default goal stated 1,300 calories 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • zeemind0129
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    I would increase the protein a little if you can. Cottage cheese is a high protein low cal option.

That said, with so little to lose, you aren’t going to see any large drops on the scale. You’re looking at .5 lbs a week tops and that’s if you track and log PERFECTLY. Do you use a food scale to measure your food? Pick accurate entries in the database (hint many of them are wrong)? Are you eating back exercise calories? Are you accurately “guessing” at calories burned (everything is really a best guess and none of this is perfect)?

It’s been a struggle finding the right food with high protein. I’m not a fan of cottage cheese, I prefer Nonfat Greek yogurt :) and yes I do use a food scale to measure everything I eat. I do my best to find the most accurate entries. I do no eat back exercise calories, however I do track how many calories I burn by the end of the day on my Fitbit (been hitting 2,000 calories-400-500 from workouts)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

Haven’t been able to hit the gym due to COVID-19 but mainly an hour on the treadmill between incline walking/running. Starting next week I will incorporate core workout routine.

When I set up my MFP I filled the goals section (aiming to lose 1.5 lb per week) and default goal stated 1,300 calories 🤷🏻‍♀️

Okay, 1.5lb per week is too aggressive, you need to drop that to 1 lb at most.

Since you have a Fitbit, use that and for now trust that the TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) it's giving you is correct. Subtract your deficit from that number (so if you're averaging 2000 cals, subtract 250 a day for a 1/2 lb loss per week). Re-evaluate in 6 weeks. By then, assuming your calorie intake tracking is on point, you will have accurate data to tweak your calorie goal with. If you're losing faster than expected, increase cals, if you're losing slower decrease them.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »

It’s been a struggle finding the right food with high protein. I’m not a fan of cottage cheese, I prefer Nonfat Greek yogurt :) and yes I do use a food scale to measure everything I eat. I do my best to find the most accurate entries. I do no eat back exercise calories, however I do track how many calories I burn by the end of the day on my Fitbit (been hitting 2,000 calories-400-500 from workouts)

Nonfat greek yogurt is a great protein option. IMO, 90-100 g protein is plenty given your size, however, unless you feel like you need to try more protein for hunger reasons (bit early for that, though). Usual goal for muscle protection when losing is around 0.6-0.8 g/lb of a healthy goal weight (I'd err on the higher side of that if active). Your goal seems to be 122-127, so 0.8 g/lb would be 98-102, but a bit lower is still fine. I'm a similar size (5'3, goal of 120-125 -- I was 125 but now losing some covid weight), and aimed at 90-100 when losing, although being over was fine. (I estimate my lean body mass at about 90-95, and that's another way to get a protein goal -- 1 g/lb of lean body mass.) Just as much or more than protein, muscle protection can be helped by not cutting cals too low when you don't have much to lose, so the advice to aim for a less-aggressive weekly goal is a good one.
  • zeemind0129
    Options
    I appreciate all your responses and feedback :) I will adjust accordingly and keep going.

Thank you!
  • zeemind0129
    Options

Since you have a Fitbit, use that and for now trust that the TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) it's giving you is correct. Subtract your deficit from that number (so if you're averaging 2000 cals, subtract 250 a day for a 1/2 lb loss per week). Re-evaluate in 6 weeks. By then, assuming your calorie intake tracking is on point, you will have accurate data to tweak your calorie goal with. If you're losing faster than expected, increase cals, if you're losing slower decrease them.

I see your point! I can drop it to 1 lb per week moving forward. In regards to the calories and the deficits, let’s say I continue to average 2,000 calories TDEE ( I subtract 500 from that 2,000 and that number would be my calorie intake for the day? Just want to make sure I understood that correctly. Thank you
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

I see your point! I can drop it to 1 lb per week moving forward. In regards to the calories and the deficits, let’s say I continue to average 2,000 calories TDEE ( I subtract 500 from that 2,000 and that number would be my calorie intake for the day? Just want to make sure I understood that correctly. Thank you

Yep, subtract 500, so go for 1500 cals (more if you are more active than usual). If you find yourself getting hungry, feeling more tired then usual, etc, increase your cals. When you don't have much weight to lose, your body will fight you if you push too hard. You're much better to take it slower and actually get to where you want to be.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    At 10-15 lbs left to lose even though lb is likely too aggressive. You’re likely looking at .5 a week instead.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    45% protein is too high and 25% carbs are too low IMO. Try for adjust your macros a bit.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    35/25/40 (carbs/fats/proteins) is my current split. Do I hit it every day? Nope but I try my darndest. OP, this thread may help you up your protein intake...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

...as you continue to find the ever-changing caloric levels and split that works for you while in a deficit.
  • zeemind0129
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    45% protein is too high and 25% carbs are too low IMO. Try for adjust your macros a bit.

25% carbs is putting me at 98g. Is that not high enough, I feel like I should stay under 80g lol

What’s an ideal macro ratio for my situation?
  • zeemind0129
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    35/25/40 (carbs/fats/proteins) is my current split. Do I hit it every day? Nope but I try my darndest. OP, this thread may help you up your protein intake...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

...as you continue to find the ever-changing caloric levels and split that works for you while in a deficit.

Appreciate it thanks so much!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,930 Member
    Options

25% carbs is putting me at 98g. Is that not high enough, I feel like I should stay under 80g lol

Why do you feel you need to limit carbs? Are you diabetic, or insulin resistant, or something like that? (I'm neither, and ate around 150g or so daily while losing 50+ pounds, and eat more like 200g+ daily while maintaining a healthy weight for about 5 years since, at 5'5", now 125 pounds.)

Carbs are not evil, but personally I don't think the specific level matters much, unless you find that eating too many spikes your appetite, or eating too few tanks your energy level. While losing and active, get around 0.8g daily per pound of goal weight, 0.35-0.45g fats per pound, and whatever level of carbs suits you, would be my opinion (though eating a boatload of varied, colorful veggies/fruits for fiber and micros is a good plan, and tends to bring some carbs along for the ride).

The percentages are sort of an estimating convenience, but IMO the actual intakes matter more than what percent of calories they are.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Why do you feel you need to limit carbs? Are you diabetic, or insulin resistant, or something like that? (I'm neither, and ate around 150g or so daily while losing 50+ pounds, and eat more like 200g+ daily while maintaining a healthy weight for about 5 years since, at 5'5", now 125 pounds.)

Carbs are not evil, but personally I don't think the specific level matters much, unless you find that eating too many spikes your appetite, or eating too few tanks your energy level. While losing and active, get around 0.8g daily per pound of goal weight, 0.35-0.45g fats per pound, and whatever level of carbs suits you, would be my opinion (though eating a boatload of varied, colorful veggies/fruits for fiber and micros is a good plan, and tends to bring some carbs along for the ride).

The percentages are sort of an estimating convenience, but IMO the actual intakes matter more than what percent of calories they are.

Agree 100% with this advice, with 'protein' added in after 0.8g (missing word).