Brussel Sprouts

Options
LeeAnn11
LeeAnn11 Posts: 37
Does anyone have any recipes for brussel sprouts?? I like them when other people cook them but hate them when I do (hey is that saying something about my cooking)...anyways some new ideas would be awesome!

Replies

• LeeAnn11
    LeeAnn11 Posts: 37
    Options
    Does anyone have any recipes for brussel sprouts?? I like them when other people cook them but hate them when I do (hey is that saying something about my cooking)...anyways some new ideas would be awesome!
  • shanrock
    shanrock Posts: 15
    Options
    they are good with Some pinenuts and and a bit of spray butter. Steam them first and than add the butter and Pinenuts.
  • kimmaboo
    kimmaboo Posts: 31
    Options
    i like mine just steamed with a little salt
  • jennib06
    jennib06 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You can buy Green Giant Brussel Sprouts that are pre-packaged and just get microwaved. It's a new line of veggies that recently came out. They are in the frozen section and each box contains about 2.5 servings each of which is 50-60 calories. You can eat the whole box and hardly do any damage and they are quite delish!

They have about every veggie you could think of! It's worth looking into!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I love those little cabbages...I too steam em...salt em and pop em
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    Make 6 servings
    1 lb brussel sprouts
    1 leek, finely chopped
    2 cups of vegetable broth
    salt & pepper to taste
    1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
    1 tbsp olive oil

-Clean each brussel sprout by removing the brown part of the stem and the first 2 layers of leaves. These leaves are hard and bitter, removing them makes a much more savory dish.
    -Boil or steam brussel sprouts until they are cooked through, takes 3-4 min. Drain brussel sprouts and set aside until cool enough to handle. Cut each brussel sprout in half.
    -In a skillet, over medium-high heat add 1 tbsp of olive oil and the leek. Cook for 2 min, add brussel sprouts and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil.
    -Lower heat to medium-low and cover the skillet with foil. Allow the sprout to cook until all the liquid is absorbed. This can take 8-12 min.
    -Remove brussel sprouts from heat and add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with fresh grates Parmesan cheese and serve. The sprouts should be soft and savory.

I hope you enjoy!

Nutritional Information:
    1 serving (1/6th of prepared recipe)
    Calories 77.9
    Total Fat 3.9 g
    Saturated Fat 1.2 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0.4 g
    Monounsaturated Fat 2.1 g
    Cholesterol 3.3 mg
    Sodium 409.0 mg
    Potassium 263.8 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 8.1 g
    Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
    Sugars 2.4 g
    Protein 3.8 g
  • sunflower8926
    sunflower8926 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    It's probably the cooking time. Brussels, like cabbage, vary a lot in taste depending on how long they are cooked. I would try steaming (or boiling) them just until a fork can be pushed through. If you cook them too long, they get a bitter taste, like over-cooked cabbage.
  • KKluvUSC
    KKluvUSC Posts: 37
    Options
    Steaming brussels sprouts is your best option. I personally like mine with just a little butter (real butter not the horrible for you margarine crap) and sea salt and black pepper.
  • joann
    joann Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I steam mine for a couple of minutes to get them tender than I toss them in olive oil and roast them in the over on 400 for 20 minutes, you can add salt and pepper to taste or even chop alittle garlic in the olive oil ....yummmmmmmmmm
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I soak mine in water for like 20-30 minutes, cut them in half (if they're too large), and throw them on a roasting pan with salt and pepper in a 400 degree oven.

Sometimes I'll toss them with chopped shallots, grated apple, sliced almonds, and a little bit of pancetta, and roast them that way so they have flavor texture. ITS DELICIOUS.

But honestly, all you really need is olive oil, salt, and pepper to make them really good in the oven.
  • christibrubaker
    Options
    Steam them and put a little blue cheese and Arromat seasonings on and stir. Yum!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I am amazed people willingly eat brussel sprouts.
    I thought they were devised only to torment small children at the dinner table.
    Blech!!!!

:wink:

but for real :sick:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I steam mine for a couple of minutes to get them tender than I toss them in olive oil and roast them in the over on 400 for 20 minutes, you can add salt and pepper to taste or even chop alittle garlic in the olive oil ....yummmmmmmmmm

That sounds good - i love brussel sprouts
  • Dedicated
    Dedicated Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    These are the BEST!!!! My husband loved them so much that he went to the store the next morning and bought 2 more packages to make (and he's not a veggie person)!!!

Roasted Brussels Sprouts

RECIPE RATING:
    This recipe has been rated 750 times with an average star rating of 4.5
    Read Reviews (611)
    Review/Rate This Recipe
    PREP TIME 15 Min
    COOK TIME 45 Min
    READY IN 1 Hr

* 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed and yellow leaves removed
    * 3 tablespoons olive oil
    * 1 teaspoon kosher salt
    * 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
    2. Place trimmed Brussels sprouts, olive oil, kosher salt, and pepper in a large resealable plastic bag. Seal tightly, and shake to coat. Pour onto a baking sheet, and place on center oven rack.
    3. Roast in the preheated oven for 30 to 45 minutes, shaking pan every 5 to 7 minutes for even browning. Reduce heat when necessary to prevent burning. Brussels sprouts should be darkest brown, almost black, when done. Adjust seasoning with kosher salt, if necessary. Serve immediately.
  • decca
    decca Posts: 8
    Options
    I cut them in half. Steam to soften up, then cook on stove in olive oil with finely chopped garlic and onion, salt and pepper. Then I add balsamic vinegar and it sort of carmelizes. Yum.