UK lass needs to shed 3 clem.

Hello all.. joined today. Although according to my phone I already had an account. Which clearly wasn't used as I'm now about to embark on another Christmas un happy with my weight.

I'm going to lose 2 -3 stone to get back to my pre children weight. Just need to do this sensibly. Tried weight watchers, slimming world, second nature, the lot. Never worked as I find them all patronising and restrictive and ultimately don't follow them.

This time I'm going slowly and want to learn how to eat healthily and not processed low point rubbish.

Wish me luck xx

Replies

• NorthStar77
    NorthStar77 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Good luck
  • LunaTheFatCat
    LunaTheFatCat Posts: 237 Member
    Best of luck! Baby steps, just start with logging your normal day every day and hopefully in not too long you will get a few eye openers on where you go wrong. Might be portion sizes (please please get a food scale and actually weigh everything, in grammes) or it might be too many snacks that you didn't realise were so calorie dense.

You can do this :)
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,136 Member
    2-3 stones = 28-42 pounds?
    I've managed to lose that much weight, and yet I'm only about a third of the way there.

My advice is to eliminate from your diet as many foods as possible that have a high glycemic index: sugars and simple carbs/starches. You will convert body fat only if you have insufficient blood sugar ("energy"), and foods with a high glycemic index are essentially "instant energy".
    Secondly, accept the fact that it will take longer than you'd like. If you can lose even a little each week, you will be making progress.
    And thirdly, don't treat it as a "diet" but as a lifestyle change.

Best of luck. Don't give up.
  • Happyhel2020
    Happyhel2020 Posts: 6 Member
    I've managed to lose that much weight, and yet I'm only about a third of the way there.

My advice is to eliminate from your diet as many foods as possible that have a high glycemic index: sugars and simple carbs/starches. You will convert body fat only if you have insufficient blood sugar ("energy"), and foods with a high glycemic index are essentially "instant energy".
    Secondly, accept the fact that it will take longer than you'd like. If you can lose even a little each week, you will be making progress.

Thank you. Yes I want to lose 42lb.

This is a totally a lifestyle change. I'm going super slowly. I'm truthfully recording everything. As soon as Christmas is over and i have the cash I'm paying premium.

I have followed weight watchers for years so am having to learn everything about real nutrition. Can i ask what ratio you use for weight loss please? I'm nervous about going too low carb.

Thank you for your advice and well done on the loss x
  • Happyhel2020
    Happyhel2020 Posts: 6 Member
    Best of luck! Baby steps, just start with logging your normal day every day and hopefully in not too long you will get a few eye openers on where you go wrong. Might be portion sizes (please please get a food scale and actually weigh everything, in grammes) or it might be too many snacks that you didn't realise were so calorie dense.

You can do this :)

Thank you.
    I have got food scales and am just trying to take it slowly and learn about food after years point counting on weight watchers

Thank you
  • frankwbrown

Thank you. Yes I want to lose 42lb.

This is a totally a lifestyle change. I'm going super slowly. I'm truthfully recording everything. As soon as Christmas is over and i have the cash I'm paying premium.

I have followed weight watchers for years so am having to learn everything about real nutrition. Can i ask what ratio you use for weight loss please? I'm nervous about going too low carb.

Thank you for your advice and well done on the loss x

I follow the Zone diet. It is sometimes criticized as being too low carb, or too high protein, or too difficult to follow. But it works for me. However, I'd like to learn more about the Mediterranean and DASH diets.

I currently weigh ~285 lb and have a daily calorie goal of 1640 cals (based on my estimated BMR). Exercising of course bumps this up accordingly. Also this is based on my goal of losing 2 lb per week.

The Zone diet suggests macronutrient ratios of: 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% [friendly] fats.
    It suggests eating 3 meals consisting of 3-4 blocks each with a couple 1 block snacks. A block is defined as 3 grams of fat (or 1.5 grams if from meat), 7 grams of protein and 9 grams of carbs. Ideally, you try to balance each meal by these ratios, but I am not strict with myself about that. I do try to maintain those ratios per day.

Just paying attention to the grams of fat, protein and carbs on the nutrition labels opened my eyes. Years ago, one of my regular go-to meals was a frozen Marie Callendar's Chicken Pot Pie. I remember the shock of seeing that one pie had about 46 grams of fat, when my plan of 11-13 blocks meant a total of 33-39 grams of fat per day! Good bye, chicken pot pie! :) (I don't really miss them, although I still could have one, but only once in a blue moon, and only by avoiding fat in all other meals that day.)
  • Katerr1kk
    Katerr1kk Posts: 81 Member
    UK mum here too. I've lost 41lb.

Just want to say you don't need to rush into premium. I have used mfp from the start and the free version has seen me through just fine. Maybe see how you get on before spending the money. Take some time to educate yourself about TDEE and calorie deficits as they really are the key to success, in my opinion. Get yourself a food scale and be patient. You really don't need any faddy diets or to cut anything out.

Good luck to you. Add me as a friend if you like.
  • cowsanddogsarecute
    cowsanddogsarecute Posts: 156 Member
    You don't really need premium. The free version works quite well.

Make sure you have a deficit of 1 lb a week at the most. Follow MFP calories. Get a food scale and weigh everything - yes including any dressings or sauces etc. Take photos once a month. Measure yourself once a month. Give the new calories at least a month before thinking something isn't working.

Don't bother about any fad diets or going low carb or cutting any foods out. Everything in moderation.

Feel free to add me if you want to.
  • frankwbrown
    What is a "clem"? Is that an alias for "stone"? (inquiring minds want to know) :)
  • PremGandhi
    PremGandhi Posts: 115 Member
    Katerr1kk wrote: »
    UK mum here too. I've lost 41lb.

Just want to say you don't need to rush into premium. I have used mfp from the start and the free version has seen me through just fine. Maybe see how you get on before spending the money. Take some time to educate yourself about TDEE and calorie deficits as they really are the key to success, in my opinion. Get yourself a food scale and be patient. You really don't need any faddy diets or to cut anything out.

Good luck to you. Add me as a friend if you like.

Neither a mum nor from UK, but I second her points. Premium doesn't really help much. And quality diet is helpful. Dont skimp on any of the macros. Have a balanced of everything with total calories deficit. Working for me about an year or so.