Bariatric surgery-gastric sleeve

Options
Hello everyone,
I hope everyone is having a wonderful time in spite of this pandemic. Sorry for the long post. I wanted to vent.

I have struggle with weight issues all my life. I have been yo-yo dieting since I was in high school and I would see results, but for whatever reason I would revert back to old habits and put on the weight I lost and more. On 10/27/20 I decided to get Gastric sleeve surgery to help me with my weight loss and help me get my other weight related issues under control. It was the best decision I have ever made and I wish I would have done it sooner. At the time of surgery I weighed 227 lbs. and I am only 4'11". I was categorized as morbidly obese with a BMI of 45.8. I am only 34 years old and I was embarrassed to admit I needed help, but I am glad that I had the courage to admit I had a problem with food and got help soon before I had any more medical problems. I had back and knee pain and could not walk far without feeling some kind of pain. I have fatty liver disease and 2 small tumors that thank God the are not cancerous. since surgery my back and knee pains have gone away and that could be because I have already lost 25lbs.

I decided to have surgery because I needed a new life style change and to be comfortable with food and not overeat and the surgery would definitely help. As of right now I have been following my doctor's and nutritionist guidelines they provided and all I can eat is about 2oz of food containing mostly protein per meal. I eat every 3 hours and try my hardest to get my water intake every day. Before surgery I only ate 1 meal a day. I would skip breakfast. A black coffee was my breakfast. I would take a protein shake for lunch, but most days I wouldn't drink it because I would want to go to a fast food restaurant to get food after work instead. Once I got home I would be so hungry that I would eat everything in sight or go pick up food and order lots of food and binge. Thinking about it my favorite restaurant was Taqueria de Anda, a mexican fast food restaurant, I would order a carne asada burrito, 2 chicken tacos, 2 lengua tacos (beef tongue), 2 buche tacos (pork stomach), a chicken quesadilla or carne asada nachos and a large coke. I don't even know how all of that fit in my stomach at one point. Kind of disgusting if you really think about it. And of course because I ate all of this the night before, on the next day I would just drink a protein shake the whole day to make up or punish my self for it. And this cycle repeated itself for over 10 years until I got this gastric sleeve surgery I put a stop to it.

What helped me the most whenever I would start a diet was this app. It kept me accountable of what I was eating. So far I have made the necessary life style changes to be successful and and not see food as comfort or punishment. Of course the surgery helps a lot, but in no way is it an easy way out of losing weight. The surgery is a tool and I have to put in the work on eating my meals (2oz) to meet my protein and water intake, exercise, and continue with a healthy life style for life. it is scary for me to think that I would go back to old habits and fail and I hope I have the strength to not go back. I am continuously learning about what works for me now that 85% of my stomach is gone. Some days are easier than others. Learning to read the food labels are sometimes easier than others as well. Making decisions on whether the carbs or fat are worth it or not is difficult as well, are they good or bad carbs. All I can do is take it day by day. Some days eating is difficult and painful because my stomach is still healing, but I know I took this path for my health and I will succeed.

Are there any of you here going through the same thing? Bariatric surgery?

I hope I can find new friends here that we can support each other through this difficult journey.
Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

XOXOXO,
Sonia

Replies

• 0atmeel
    0atmeel Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have not done the surgery but I too struggled with water intake. This is how I fixed it. I would fill a 32oz water bottle each morning. I hated drinking out of the bottle cause it seemed like so much. So now I take that same bottle but have an 8oz glass. I pour a glass and if I need a drink, I finish the glass and fill it again and repeat. If I drink one cup an hour, I have 80oz drank by dinner time and drink three glasses between dinner and bed time. Breaking it out throughout the day makes it easier. Plus it keeps my hunger is reduced.
  • sassygirly86
    sassygirly86 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That's great.
    I ended up putting my water in a 32 oz Starbucks cup and it works best somehow lol.
    Once you have the surgery though you will not be able to drink so much of water at a time. It will be sipping slowly and waiting 5 minutes between every 1 oz drank. I think that's why I find it difficult specially if I am really thirsty and all I want to do is chug water. But your program might be different. This is what I was advised to do.
  • mommarass88
    mommarass88 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Congrats on taking off on your weight loss journey. I had the procedure almost 7yrs ago and couldn’t be happier. I lost 150lbs and now I’m very active and live a healthy life style. I hope you get the same great results. I do always tell people after some time the surgery won’t prevent you from gaining again which I learned. I gained about 40lbs back after a few years and had to work at it like everyone else to lose it again. Enjoy the time you have right now and focus on changing mental patterns. You really have change the way you view food. It was the biggest lesson I learned. Best wishes!
  • 0atmeel
    edited December 2020
    Options
    That's great.
    I ended up putting my water in a 32 oz Starbucks cup and it works best somehow lol.
    Once you have the surgery though you will not be able to drink so much of water at a time. It will be sipping slowly and waiting 5 minutes between every 1 oz drank. I think that's why I find it difficult specially if I am really thirsty and all I want to do is chug water. But your program might be different. This is what I was advised to do.

Can you try it with a shot glass? Would enjoy to hear your journey to hitting your goal!
  • 0atmeel
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Congrats on taking off on your weight loss journey. I had the procedure almost 7yrs ago and couldn’t be happier. I lost 150lbs and now I’m very active and live a healthy life style. I hope you get the same great results. I do always tell people after some time the surgery won’t prevent you from gaining again which I learned. I gained about 40lbs back after a few years and had to work at it like everyone else to lose it again. Enjoy the time you have right now and focus on changing mental patterns. You really have change the way you view food. It was the biggest lesson I learned. Best wishes!
  • 0atmeel
    Options

What kind of food patterns did you have? I have a problem of eating when I am bored. Like that? If so, how did you change it? Congrats to you too!
  • mommarass88
    mommarass88 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    millerjr5 wrote: »

What kind of food patterns did you have? I have a problem of eating when I am bored. Like that? If so, how did you change it? Congrats to you too!

So my family based everything around food, if we were getting together you best believe there was going to be a ton of food, which resulted in a lot of family members being overweight. I had to avoid going to eat with them for a period of time until I got food in its proper place. I also did eat out of boredom, I removed all snack foods from my house and only left options that were healthy. When I wanted to snack I tried to do things that distracted me or had some sort of flavored no calorie drink. I also started fasting, nothing extreme but it did help the craving to eat constantly. None of this was easy at all but I couldn’t be happier with the results.

I hope you’re able to do the same!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    Hopefully, you're seeing a therapist because surgery doesn't' ADDRESS the reason why you tend to overeat. And if that isn't solved, then you may use something else to relieve yourself. Some people who were addicted to food consumption and can't now because of surgery became alcoholics, gamblers, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • 0atmeel
    Options
    millerjr5 wrote: »

So my family based everything around food, if we were getting together you best believe there was going to be a ton of food, which resulted in a lot of family members being overweight. I had to avoid going to eat with them for a period of time until I got food in its proper place. I also did eat out of boredom, I removed all snack foods from my house and only left options that were healthy. When I wanted to snack I tried to do things that distracted me or had some sort of flavored no calorie drink. I also started fasting, nothing extreme but it did help the craving to eat constantly. None of this was easy at all but I couldn’t be happier with the results.

I hope you’re able to do the same!

Thank you for this. I will have to try your ideas. I like it because not quitting cold turkey but adding alternatives instead, healthy alternatives.
  • sassygirly86
    edited December 2020
    Options
    how can i reply to someone specifically to here? You all have wonderful stories and different journeys that are inspiring. Thank you for sharing.
  • kalchthaleri
    kalchthaleri Posts: 231 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    So my story is a little bit different but I want to tell you, Sassygirl and everyone who has had this or a similar surgery or is considering it-- YOU ARE BRAVE AND STRONG AND AMAZING!
    My deal is this, in the spring of 2013, I was 5'4 and weighed 330lbs. I went through the steps in the fall of 2013 to have surgery, met with doctors, attended meetings and I was SCARED to DEATH. I couldn’t do it.
    On January 1 of 2014 I joined Weight Watchers, weighing in at 338lbs.
    On June 8 of 2017 I reached my goal weight of 128lbs. Now I was “done.” Now I was going to be happy!
    On August 24 of 2018 I was 115.5lbs, running three hours a day, at the gym working out 45 minutes a day, all while working a full-time job and a part-time job. How? I slept 4 hours a night, I ate only 800 calories a day, weighing every grape tomato (never a GRAPE, they have 7 calories), weighing my zucchini. I was losing my hair, my fingernails were nearly gone. Oh I was really happy, right?
    I got help. I gained weight and I was miserable, even though the doctors said I should stay where I was. Today I am 132.5lbs. and have been in the 130s since August of last year.
    I still struggle every day. I am 49 years old. When will I learn! Who knows?
    BUT I want to tell you, so many people (I work in very public eye job and also I did a commercial for my gym so I people sometimes “knew” me) would come up to me and “congratulate” me on my weight loss.
    I KNOW they were well meaning and most were very kind but there were and still are MANY who say the most ridiculous things, the worst is “You lost it the hard way. Some people do the surgery, that is the easy way.” Often this said this while they are eating a Big Mac or smoking or having a beer, interestingly enough…
    THAT MAKES ME SO ANGRY and I ask them, kindly, but VERY seriously, “Surgery is the EASY way? Have you ever had surgery? What do you know about the surgery?” And I fully admit that I FAILED at the surgery. I couldn't do it. I did it in a much easier way for me!
    Unless some has had the surgery or at the very least been through the months of preparation, not only physically but emotionally and spiritually, they have NO RIGHT to make ANY comment on the “ease” of the surgery. And there this is a LOT of work afterward! These people have NO CLUE!
    I admire and applaud you and you inspire me.
    YET PLEASE REMEMBER THIS: YOU ARE WONDERFULY CREATED. YOU ARE PERFECT THE WAY YOU ARE. NO SCALE CAN TELL YOU ANY DIFFERENT.
    I keep trying to tell myself that…but I am a pastor…so you know, we don’t actually practice what we preach! But I will keep trying.
    And I will continue to be inspired by you, Sassygirl.
    THANK YOU for sharing your story!
  • sassygirly86
    Options
    So my story is a little bit different but I want to tell you, Sassygirl and everyone who has had this or a similar surgery or is considering it-- YOU ARE BRAVE AND STRONG AND AMAZING!
    My deal is this, in the spring of 2013, I was 5'4 and weighed 330lbs. I went through the steps in the fall of 2013 to have surgery, met with doctors, attended meetings and I was SCARED to DEATH. I couldn’t do it.
    On January 1 of 2014 I joined Weight Watchers, weighing in at 338lbs.
    On June 8 of 2017 I reached my goal weight of 128lbs. Now I was “done.” Now I was going to be happy!
    On August 24 of 2018 I was 115.5lbs, running three hours a day, at the gym working out 45 minutes a day, all while working a full-time job and a part-time job. How? I slept 4 hours a night, I ate only 800 calories a day, weighing every grape tomato (never a GRAPE, they have 7 calories), weighing my zucchini. I was losing my hair, my fingernails were nearly gone. Oh I was really happy, right?
    I got help. I gained weight and I was miserable, even though the doctors said I should stay where I was. Today I am 132.5lbs. and have been in the 130s since August of last year.
    I still struggle every day. I am 49 years old. When will I learn! Who knows?
    BUT I want to tell you, so many people (I work in very public eye job and also I did a commercial for my gym so I people sometimes “knew” me) would come up to me and “congratulate” me on my weight loss.
    I KNOW they were well meaning and most were very kind but there were and still are MANY who say the most ridiculous things, the worst is “You lost it the hard way. Some people do the surgery, that is the easy way.” Often this said this while they are eating a Big Mac or smoking or having a beer, interestingly enough…
    THAT MAKES ME SO ANGRY and I ask them, kindly, but VERY seriously, “Surgery is the EASY way? Have you ever had surgery? What do you know about the surgery?” And I fully admit that I FAILED at the surgery. I couldn't do it. I did it in a much easier way for me!
    Unless some has had the surgery or at the very least been through the months of preparation, not only physically but emotionally and spiritually, they have NO RIGHT to make ANY comment on the “ease” of the surgery. And there this is a LOT of work afterward! These people have NO CLUE!
    I admire and applaud you and you inspire me.
    YET PLEASE REMEMBER THIS: YOU ARE WONDERFULY CREATED. YOU ARE PERFECT THE WAY YOU ARE. NO SCALE CAN TELL YOU ANY DIFFERENT.
    I keep trying to tell myself that…but I am a pastor…so you know, we don’t actually practice what we preach! But I will keep trying.
    And I will continue to be inspired by you, Sassygirl.
    THANK YOU for sharing your story!

*******Thank you so much for sharing your story and words of advise @kalchthaleri. I really appreciate it.Thinking that being super thin will eventually make me super happy and people will find me worthy and attractive is something I've definitely thought about everyday and I've been working on eliminating that negative self thinking/talk. My goal is to live a healthy lifestyle: healthy mind, healthy weight, healthy body, and healthy relationships and I hope I can live long enough to meet this goals. It wont be easy since I have to erase 25 years of bad habits and negative thinking but it will be worth it.
  • sassygirly86
    Options
    wmpottsjr wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I am preparing for gastric sleeve surgery and today I have my last meeting with the bariatric doctors. I have lost 50 lbs so far and initially weighed 325 lbs. I am 67.

I am trying to change my perception about food, eat to live not live to eat. I think that is key. My reason for overeating has many factors. Boredom, taste sensations, lack of self control, loss of focus, upbringing (don't throw away food), vulnerability to food advertising, eating beyond satiety, shopping while hungry and eating before bed. Just to name a few.

Now I eat healthy food to walk better, end back and joint pain, stop heart disease, improve my self image, stop diabetes and to enjoy a long life. Eat to live! Enjoy what life has to offer. Be smart and in control.

I wish you the best during your surgery and recovery. Great job on losing 50lbs before surgery. Safe journey. and Yes I agree with Eat to live!
  • sassygirly86
    Options
    gewel321 wrote: »
    I am 6 years out from my sleeve. It was the best choice I have ever made in my life. It was not a fix all but it was a tool that is still helpful. I started at 400 and made it down to 198. I never made it to goal though because I slipped back into old habits. It is important to know that you can stretch the stomach back out. I gained back up to 250 before I kicked myself in the butt and got back on track. I am down to 192 as of this mornings and I'm still working at it.

That's is what i'm so afraid of as I'm going through this is gaining and stretching my stomach back again because I go back to old habits and I ask myself if I will I be able to notice soon enough to stop it or how can I possibly avoid it? It's a struggle and logging in everything has been helping me out and it keeps me accountable and reading food labels has helps me make better food choices that I never even read before. so I hope this will help.
  • sassygirly86
    Options

Thank you and congrats on losing the weight. Right now I'm enjoying the fact that I don't have any of the junk food or fast food cravings as I did before. I also like how much money I am saving by not going out to eat everyday. I've heard the cravings comeback and by that time I hope I can find a way to control them instead of them controlling me. Best wishes and good luck on your journey as well.
  • sassygirly86
    Options
    KadiOBX wrote: »
    I've been on my journey for bariatric surgery since 2017. But due to insurance and funds I wasn't able to move forward in 2017. But this year has been a change. I stared in the beginning of August on final journey and I'm in the home stretch. Starting pre op diet tomorrow.

Food has always been a struggle, but gaining weight seem to be easy for me. But it took a lot more to lose it. I also find myself seeing results and then I become my worst enemy and revert back to old habits. The past few month have taught me more with nutrition than I already new before. I've dropped 30lbs, still along way from my goal weight. I know it will take time.

Good luck on your journey. I wish you a speedy and safe recovery from surgery.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    gewel321 wrote: »
    I am 6 years out from my sleeve. It was the best choice I have ever made in my life. It was not a fix all but it was a tool that is still helpful. I started at 400 and made it down to 198. I never made it to goal though because I slipped back into old habits. It is important to know that you can stretch the stomach back out. I gained back up to 250 before I kicked myself in the butt and got back on track. I am down to 192 as of this mornings and I'm still working at it.

That's is what i'm so afraid of as I'm going through this is gaining and stretching my stomach back again because I go back to old habits and I ask myself if I will I be able to notice soon enough to stop it or how can I possibly avoid it? It's a struggle and logging in everything has been helping me out and it keeps me accountable and reading food labels has helps me make better food choices that I never even read before. so I hope this will help.

My old habits have carved out a grand canyon in my brain. My new habits are ditches. It is not a matter of whether or not I will engage in old habits it is a matter of how fast I can snap out of them.

My agreement with me is to continue logging my food for 5 years of weight maintenance. I will then assess how I feel about continuing. I will likely continue.

The reason why this agreement is in place with 100 percent compliance is because logging keeps me accountable. It is what prevents a day of weak behavior from turning into a week, a month, a year, or more. I log vacations, I log holidays, I log good days, and I log bad days. I own up to whatever I do.

The other reasons is when I first started I would skip logging meals that I knew would be WAY over. When the scale went up I didn't know how much of it was water and how much of it was actual fat regain. That stressed me. My imagination is almost always worse than what I eat. I can think I am way over for a day and it will turn out I am over by a couple of hundred calories. That may not be great but certainly better than what I am imagining which might be a couple of thousand calories over.