Don't know if I'm a success story yet or not but......

Options
My stats show me down 39 lbs in 175 days of logging. The reality is that I've lost about 48 pounds as before I started logging at MFP I was using some other calorie tracker program. I really liked the food database and tools here best.

I was one of those guys who wouldn't get on the scale because I just didn't want to know. When I did step on I was about 240. This was at the beginning of COVID. Even at 240 I exercised daily but I would jog maybe less than 2 miles a few times a week and walk my dog a couple miles a day. And some elliptical.

When I was allowed to begin teleworking I realized that instead of running at 4 AM, showering and going to work that I now had a lot more personal time to exercise.

So I bought a bicycle and within a couple of weeks I was doing 25 mile rides almost daily. Once a week or so I would run but it would be 3 miles instead of my previous distance. Now it is getting colder and riding the bike isn't as much fun (and riding a bike for me IS FUN still even at 58 years old) I have decided to run 2 days and elliptical the 3rd.

I seem unable to take exercise days off at all even though I probably should. The desire to ride or run is just in me now. It is something I need daily.

My runs started at 14:40 miles which is a shuffle and now I'm running sub 12 minute miles, around 11:30 averages or so.

Just weighed in at 192. One of these days I'll throw some pics up.

Bottom line: Counting calories with some body movement WORKS. It just works. It's math. I personally kind of think that some of the other diets like keto and such are not for me. I think the body needs better quality food, and MOVEMENT. And of course sunlight and fresh air are good for a soul as well.

To those getting started..........I was a 57 year old fat man getting started. If I can do it, you can do it. Also, every 30 days or so of success..........have the damn Calzone. Have a few beers (on separate days ha ha). Just realize you are on a program. I planned heavily for cheat days which turned out NOT to be cheat days. In 175 days of logging I only went over allowed calories a few times, and then not by much. I'd have a tiny breakfast, ride 25 miles, have a tiny lunch, walk or take another short bike ride, walk and then bring on the spaghetti and meatballs or something.

Ideally I think I'd like to lose down to 180 or so, so I guess I'm not done. I lost 35 pounds or so instantly but the last 10 or 15 lbs have been coming off ridiculously slow, however I'm still trending downwards and at 192 lbs I'm more confident, know I look better and not as much in a rush to get the numbers down fast. At this point it is what it is. I don't get in the "Why Isn't This Working As Fast" mode anymore. I probably should adjust calories down a little for my reduced weight but I DON'T WANT TO REDUCE THEM DOWN so I'll live with the slower rate of weight loss.

Anyway.........You can do it too. You just have to want it.

Replies

• Sheks41191
    Sheks41191 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Wow that is excellent and very inspiring.
  • lynneburgess714
    lynneburgess714 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Enjoyed reading your post, you are a success story. Well done
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,428 Member
    Options
    I don’t know how you measure success, but by my standards, you’re successful!
  • Katerr1kk
    Katerr1kk Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Great Post! What an inspiration!
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Nice job! Thanks for sharing. No overthinking things, basically "Just do it!".
  • charmmeth
    charmmeth Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    What a great story. I am 56 and I really resonate with this bit of what you said:

"Bottom line: Counting calories with some body movement WORKS. It just works. It's math. I personally kind of think that some of the other diets like keto and such are not for me. I think the body needs better quality food, and MOVEMENT. And of course sunlight and fresh air are good for a soul as well."

Well done and enjoy your activity and your new life.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Success
  • sikorski
    sikorski Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Wow! You are amazing and inspiring. Thanks for sharing this.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!