Working fulltime = weight gain

Hi all. I'm back again, not the best time to start so close to Christmas but here we are.
I've been working fulltime for the last 3 months and I am steadily gaining weight. I stand up and move around all day but I'm just getting fatter and fatter. It's a combination of no longer having the time or energy to work out and eating higher calorie food as I just don't have time to make the low calorie home made dinners I used to make. This is a nightmare I don't know how other people do it and maintain their weight. I miss my daily runs and proper cooking. Does anyone else struggle with this or does anyone have any tips this is quite concerning (and none of my clothes fit anymore) boohoo 😭

Replies

• nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    It can take time, effort to change things up - but planning is key. If you don't have time to make the dinners you used to have, eat less of whatever you're making now?
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Food scale is a must. You can eat whatever you please as long as you eat in a deficit.

I work a full time job, an unpredictable part time job, and work out 7 days a week. I’m always busy. My instant pot is my savior, but I also utilize my dehydrator. Set it and forget it is KEY!

I meal plan for the week when I’m off from work. Cook and freeze portions (or leave in the fridge if they’ll keep). And EVERYTHING is weighed and tracked. Except for lunch today. A coworker bought us lunch and I had a playa bowl. That sucker was 660 calories, so I ate roughly 1/2 of it and stuck the other 1/2 in the work freezer. On the plus side, I don’t have to pack lunch for tomorrow!
  • shazland
    shazland Posts: 63 Member
    Thank you, that's exactly the sort of reply I needed. The last time I worked full time it was just me and my husband and we both were alot thinner and healthier, it all changed when we had kids.
  • shazland
    Can I just ask what a typical healthy lunch would be for you? It's difficult as where I work there is a vegan culture which is fine but I haven't got a clue what to take in for lunch.
  • shazland
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    Food scale is a must. You can eat whatever you please as long as you eat in a deficit.

I work a full time job, an unpredictable part time job, and work out 7 days a week. I’m always busy. My instant pot is my savior, but I also utilize my dehydrator. Set it and forget it is KEY!

I meal plan for the week when I’m off from work. Cook and freeze portions (or leave in the fridge if they’ll keep). And EVERYTHING is weighed and tracked. Except for lunch today. A coworker bought us lunch and I had a playa bowl. That sucker was 660 calories, so I ate roughly 1/2 of it and stuck the other 1/2 in the work freezer. On the plus side, I don’t have to pack lunch for tomorrow!

I just dont get how you are able to work out 7 days a week? I don't stop once I get home, cooking dinners making school lunches bathing kids it's non stop.
    Also, what is a dehydrator?
    What meals do you make?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I often roast a pan of chopped cauliflower and mushrooms with chile adobo, Bragg's, and garlic. You can then add chickpeas, chicken, or potato to fill it out. When it's warmer, I often take mixed salads. Sometimes I make a large pot of vegetable soup. My lunches are usually veggie based, and then add a protein of choice. I also have some fruit and nuts for an afternoon snack.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    My lunches are often intentional leftovers. Meaning I make extra, portion & freeze it. Easy lunch. If you're not 'allowed' to have meat products @ work then I'm not the best resource.

Today was meatballs (made from 93% lean turkey, blue cheese crumbles, bread crumbs, chopped onions, W sauce, eggs, garlic salt) for ~250 calories and a can of tomato soup for another 150. The sort of soup that you just microwave and sip from the can.

Yesterday I had chili topped with cheddar cheese. My chili is made from 85% turkey or 88% beef, depending on what I have on hand. I don't like the texture of 90%+ lean turkey when it is browned, crumbled. Sometimes potato soup (made in a slow cooker) with cheddar.

Sometimes I'll have a peanut butter & jelly sandwich on light white bread with raw veggies. Or leftover baked pasta. Or if I cook chicken or tilapia for dinner, I'll often make extra to have the next day's lunch & throw together a salad to go with it.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    When you say "vegan culture," do you mean you just have a lot of vegan coworkers or will you face actual disciplinary action from your leadership for bringing in animal products (like, you are a professional vegan activist or something)? I assume that you yourself aren't vegan. I'm not, so most of my lunches contain animal products of some kind, but there are roughly ten million blogs out there run by vegans with just as many recipes on them.

This week my lunch is pesto chicken and veggies - I just cut up a bunch of chicken thighs, zucchini, mushrooms, broccoli, and cherry tomatoes, coated it all in pesto, and baked it on sheet pans for about 30 minutes. You could make it pass for vegan at first glance by removing the chicken in favor of a plant-based protein or another vegetable, but pesto isn't usually vegan (although I'm sure someone out there has a recipe for vegan pesto). Under 500cal per serving, plenty of that good good fiber and protein, smells incredible.

Sometimes I'll build little "poor-man's charcuterie boxes"/"grown-up lunchables." My most recent box contained cucumbers in creamy dill sauce (just plain greek yogurt with dill, garlic powder, s&p); slices of salami; cheese cubes; two hard boiled eggs; and a handful of pecans. Not at all vegan but you can put whatever you want in there. The piecemeal nature of it makes it last longer/seem like more food somehow despite clocking in around just 500-600cal for the lot.

Grains cooked in broth (rather than plain water) with roasted veggies and a protein is also a staple. You can go a ton of ways with that, some more vegan than others, but root vegetables and gourds work great for this and tons of them are in season right now. You can also incorporate leafy greens, dried fruit, cheese, and any sort of sauce/dressing you like.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I'm sure you are making healthy meals for your children - both lunches and dinners, so maybe it's more a question of portion control rather than types of food?

I definitely find it easier to maintain on a higher calorie allowance boosted by exercise but you can't rely on that as you are finding out. Adjusting downwards when exercise is constrained by lack of time or injury isn't easy but that's where calorie counting comes in to help.

(BTW - that's a lovely part of the world you live in. One of my favourite areas for cycling.)
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Can you cook in bulk at weekends or days when you are able to cook - and freeze portions to eat later?

When I'm at work, I take salad most days - a big bowlful plus some protein.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    I don’t make meals in the dehydrator, but I make snacks. I have an excelsior that I got on sale from amazon. I dehydrate apples, oranges, bananas etc. That way they don’t go bad. In air tight containers they keep for months.

Weekend workouts are usually “only” hiking and I say only because those are actually my longest exercise days (can be 4 hrs plus).

Some weekday workouts are short if I’m really busy (say 45 min). But that’s where the instant pot comes in because I can work out while dinner is cooking. Often I’ll get home, start dinner, have a snack, do my weight routine, eat dinner, do some form of cardio (even if it’s only a 30 min dog walk around the block), shower, have my tea and a snack and go to bed.

In the mornings I have oatmeal, a sunny side up egg, and half a serving of cheddar cheese

Lunch is 2 servings of cottage cheese and a danon light n fit yogurt.

Work snacks are dehydrated apples, bananas, and carrot sticks. Sometimes oranges.

Dinner is usually some sort of chicken with rice or potatoes.

There are weeks that I only work out 5-6 days if things get really crazy hectic, but I really try for some sort of exercise 7 days. The exercise if for health and the calorie deficit is for weight loss, but I find that if I have sufficient time to exercise I lose more that week, even if my calorie deficit is around the same. I try to really push myself when weight lifting and (i think) that helps with the weight loss, but it could be in my head. 😊
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    shazland wrote: »
    Can I just ask what a typical healthy lunch would be for you? It's difficult as where I work there is a vegan culture which is fine but I haven't got a clue what to take in for lunch.

Not sure what you mean by this. Are you wanting to bring vegan foods in for lunch or be an unobtrusive omnivore?

Something easy would be making a big batch of rice and beans on the weekend and portioning it out for lunches.

3,000 + vegan recipes here. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipes/1227/everyday-cooking/vegan/
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    edited December 2020
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »

I just dont get how you are able to work out 7 days a week? I don't stop once I get home, cooking dinners making school lunches bathing kids it's non stop.
    Also, what is a dehydrator?
    What meals do you make?

I workout 7 days a week🙋
    I get up early and do a YouTube video before getting ready for work. I often run/jog 20-30 min right after work, just around the building or neighborhood before going home. I also batch cook on weekends so I'm not cooking every night. I generally prep 4+ dinner meals for the week on Sunday. I do something like a pot roast with vegetables, rack of ribs, some type of casserole, taco meat, pot of soup, chop veggies for sides, etc. We also keep multiple bags of frozen veggies on hand to add to any meal to cut back on prep time.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member

If I’m on site, I typically make an Instapot chicken batch on the weekend, and one of Yukon gold potatoes. I use a food scale before and after with the chicken to measure the portions.

I throw in a couple servings of frozen veggies in a Pyrex and reheat it.

I get the concern about the vegan thing. Personally I like tofu. When I eat it I like extra firm, sautéed. Pretty yummy. Though I don’t know how well it would reheat. In the end, you get to do what works for you. If you want to try some new recipes, you could ask your co-workers for their favorites.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member

A salad of roast veg and quinoa/bulghar wheat with a few falafel.
    Falafel wraps with salad
    Veg soup, vegetarian chilli, houmous with oatcakes/olives/cherry tomatoes
    Dahl, chickpea curry, ratatouille

With most of these it is very easy to make a big pot of it and portion it out in the fridge or freezer.

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    If cooking/meal prep is a serious issue, I have found that a meal delivery service actually works quite well - portion control, time savings, and while the up front price can seem high, once you factor in all your eating out, at least in my case, I actually save money in the end.

Outside of that, it's going to be a bit of a matter of priorities - none of us like to hear that (myself included sometimes) but that's the reality of it. I've been doing a new program/challenge and it's funny how much time I "thought" was tied up - turns out, most of it was actually kinda puttered away, or spent on things that didn't add much value to my longer term goals, but I felt like I needed in the moment (I didn't).
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member

Did anyone tell you eating vegan all or part of the time was a requirement to work there? Eat what YOU want.