Failed reps

Options
Hello. I’ve been doing weightlifting on and off for the past three years. I performed bench press and planned for 310, 3 sets of 6. I hit 6,6, and then failed on my last rep on the last set. I’ve been pretty good about realistic weekly increases in all my lifts. Because I failed on this last rep, I put more into my supporting exercises like incline press for that day. I have been increasing every week as part of a program but am curious if I should repeat the weight or just increase it next week. My goal is 3x6 at the top sets. Thanks.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Repeat until you nail it.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    have you tried a top set with backoff sets instead of sets across?
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Repeat it - I won't increase the weight until I own the current weight. - there are a few ways to do that, in your case maybe AMRP in the last set, maybe you get 10 reps , increase the weight next time, or maybe when you get a 3x8 , then you increase the weight & do a 3x5-6 & repeat - you get the idea. If you can get 8-10 reps at that weight you are stronger then if you can only get 6
  • Iggy4698
    Iggy4698 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I typically would finish the flat sets and move on to the next exercises (flyes, incline, back exercises, etc.). I think based on your suggestions, I will repeat the weight until I get more reps and then add in drop sets to increase volume. Thanks for the help.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    At some point that linear progression will stop working . Then you might want to look at Grey Skull or a 531 program
  • Iggy4698
    Iggy4698 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don’t think I ever said or implied that I was going to do it forever (I thought I said it was part of a program....). This was my first run through this style of program and I’m 8 weeks into it. I intend on switching it up when I am finished, like I have always done. I’ll look at the 5/3/1, but I’m not a big fan of the Grey Skull program. Thanks.