Getting in more protein

Options
Hi! New here and counting macros. Appreciate any tips on how to get in more protein throughout the day. My normal meals are only getting me half way there. Thanks!

Replies

• MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    What is your goal?
  • AndreaTamira
    AndreaTamira Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Things I do at times:

Switch out normal pasta for pasta made from legumes (beans, lentils, peas) in pasta dishes.

Add protein powder to oatmeal in the morning.

Snack on edaname beans or chick peas.

Make a dessert using silken tofu as case. Silken tofu chocolate pudding is quite good, I think.

Don't scoff the premade veggie mince/sausages/ burgers for a fast meal with good protein amounts. ( I dont eat meat.)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    Hi! New here and counting macros. Appreciate any tips on how to get in more protein throughout the day. My normal meals are only getting me half way there. Thanks!

How much protein are you supposed to be eating? Where does that number come from? And what's your aim? Have you considered it might be too much?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    How much protein are you supposed to be eating? Where does that number come from? And what's your aim? Have you considered it might be too much?

Hi Lisa - as we often see people who got a crazy-high protein goal from a personal trainer we would like to know your goal first.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    yirara wrote: »

Hi Lisa - as we often see people who got a crazy-high protein goal from a personal trainer we would like to know your goal first.

Yes, that's why I asked.
  • happymom24
    happymom24 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I know this thread is older but I was looking because my trainer had given me 500g of protein/day. 25g at breakfast, then 120g at four other meals during the day. I had done it over the summer and it was working, but then I got sick and hd to take a break. I'm looking to start back up but it was just so much protein!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    That seems like a crazy, overkill amount of protein that would leave little room for other important foods (nutrients). Typically, even for someone on a deficit and active and looking to gain strength and prevent muscle loss, 0.8 g per lb of a healthy (goal, if you are losing) weight is plenty. (Same for someone trying to gain muscle.)
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    happymom24 wrote: »
    I know this thread is older but I was looking because my trainer had given me 500g of protein/day. 25g at breakfast, then 120g at four other meals during the day. I had done it over the summer and it was working, but then I got sick and hd to take a break. I'm looking to start back up but it was just so much protein!

That's 2000 calories just from protein. In no world is that remotely necessary. I'm wondering if it was meant to be 500 calories from protein, which would be 125g. If your trainer actually told you 500g, with the gram split you gave, I'd suggest getting a new trainer, or at least not taking dietary advice from them, because they clearly have no idea what they are doing in that regard.

^^^^

THIS
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Other than Nugo bars, which I eat because they taste good, I prefer to get my protein from foods rather than powders.

Eggs for breakfast. I loath them but disguise them with some chopped dry-pan fried ham (also low cal) and a pinch of cheese in a low carb tortilla. Yummy and very filling for 282 calories.

Deli chicken or turkey sandwich for breakfast on lite bread. “Healthy White” is 35 calories per slice and tastes just like regular bread, sliced thinner. A nice morning sandwich with 2 ounces deli meat, on 2 slices bread, with a fraction of a teaspoon of Kraft low cal mayo is about 200 calories.

Ditto dry-pan fried prosciutto or jambon de Seranno ham. Lovely and tangy, like bacon.

Even buttermilk pancakes will give me 13gr protein for 1/4 batch for 250 calories. Maple Grove sugar free syrup tastes like the real thing for 5 calories for a very large serving.

For lunches I often have a sandwich as above, or a homemade bean soup, or chicken breast I’ve roasted earlier, chopped, with either light mayo or I brush the tortilla with teriyaki or peanut sauce. Stuff with some lettuce and chopped tomatoes and voila.

I always cook extra meat to chop and put over a giant salad for lunch the next day. Chicken breast is high protein, low cal, tasty, and cheap.

Snacks: rolled up piece of deli meat, Nugo bar, cottage cheese, greek yogurt. I usually get so much protein elsewhere, I load up on fruit on top for a sweet snack. Pumpkin pudding, made with Greek yogurt.

These are delicious, 125 cal for the whole pack, and 9 gr protein: