Running

2»

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Too old to run? That's funny :D

FWIW - I'm 51 and I'm running a 100k in less than a month. I'll be pushing my body beyond my brain's self imposed limitations because I want a chance to run Western States 100 miler. I am not in the least bit concerned as I'm a positive I'll be beaten by many others older than me.

You are never too old to run assuming you are in good health. No, it won't wreck your knees or cause any other damage (running has been shown to help, not hurt your knees).
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Many people have the impression that the human body is like a mechanical machine, it wears out with use and inevitably breaks down with age. But it is not.
    The human body is a living, growing organism. It responds to the stress of exercise by growing stronger.
    Yes, as we age, we lose a little resiliency, which means we have to be more careful of injury, because it takes longer to recover. But we never lose that ability to respond positively to the stimulus of vigorous physical activity.
    I know people who have run into their 80s, and gotten really slow, but had no detrimental effects from it. On the contrary, they could still run 5 miles in a session. And they appeared to be much more healthy than their peers.
    Medical studies have assigned senior citizens to weight training regimens to see if it could prevent falls, which often prompt a downward spiral towards death, and they got stronger. I don't remember off the top of my head exactly how old these people were. But I am assuming they were pretty old if the researchers were choosing them as people who had to worry because a physical accident could be the beginning of the end. AND they could still improve themselves with exercise!
    I'm sorry. But your family is just plain wrong.