How often are you working out and for what time periods?

Options

Replies

• SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    4 x per week for 75 mins resistance training
    2 x per week for 45 mins mix of resistance and core
    1 x per week cardio - heavy bag if I am feeling energetic, light cardio if I need a rest day
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    Options
    Mornings: walk or power walk, 3 miles minimum, up to 6+ miles

Evenings: 2.74 mile walk, light permitting

Vinyasa or Universal type yoga:5x week (I’ve cut back from daily because of yoga butt issues)

Pilates 2x week (can’t wait til studio adds back more live classes)

Trainer: 2x week before the gym opens. It’s the only power gym in the area open and is too crowded to visit during open hours, even though the owners are meticulous about cleaning to the point they’ll shame ya on Facebook.

I’m really looking forward to Apple Fitness+. Cant wait to see what they’ll offer.

Otoh was strongly motivated to do zoom classes at the start of covid, lack motivation to do it at home now the studio is open. There’s no comparison to being in the room.
  • discolady74
    discolady74 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Msapplek said "Since I'm newer to this commitment of fitness and activity, I really enjoy reading this thread to see how people use their time and energy. Side question: do your non-exercising friends and family have little interest in listening to your fitness schedules and goals?"

Yes! Very little interest. So we don't talk about it. I go the gym and then compare stories.
  • IAMFFL
    IAMFFL Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I follow specific programs depending on my goals so it varies from three day splits to six day workouts with one day rest.

Currently amd for the next two weeks:

6x per week for 90 mins (includes 20 min stretch/warmup & ab work)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    msapplek wrote: »
    (snippety)

Since I'm newer to this commitment of fitness and activity, I really enjoy reading this thread to see how people use their time and energy. Side question: do your non-exercising friends and family have little interest in listening to your fitness schedules and goals?

It doesn't much occur to me to discuss it with them, unless they ask. (I don't talk about visual journaling with people who don't art journal or at least do related arts/crafts, I don't talk with people about bluegrass banjo if they don't enjoy bluegrass . . . so I don't talk with people who aren't active about my active hobbies, either.)

Occasionally, it comes up in passing, in conversation with non-active friends. ("What are you doing this weekend?" "Rowing Saturday morning, going to the farmers market after, not much planned on Sunday.")

I talk with my fellow rowers and friends from the Y about active stuff, or post about it here on MFP.
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    Twice a day six times a week 45-180 minutes but that's lifting running and swimming so the duration isn't always tied to how intense it may be
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    (snippety)

Since I'm newer to this commitment of fitness and activity, I really enjoy reading this thread to see how people use their time and energy. Side question: do your non-exercising friends and family have little interest in listening to your fitness schedules and goals?

It doesn't much occur to me to discuss it with them, unless they ask. (I don't talk about visual journaling with people who don't art journal or at least do related arts/crafts, I don't talk with people about bluegrass banjo if they don't enjoy bluegrass . . . so I don't talk with people who aren't active about my active hobbies, either.)

Occasionally, it comes up in passing, in conversation with non-active friends. ("What are you doing this weekend?" "Rowing Saturday morning, going to the farmers market after, not much planned on Sunday.")

I talk with my fellow rowers and friends from the Y about active stuff, or post about it here on MFP.

Someone at work gave me some plantain chips. I had never had them before, they were yummy. However, it took me 3 days to eat them all. Today she was like “wow you still have some of those left, don’t you like them?”

So I explained that I did like them, but didn’t have it in the calorie budget to eat them all at once. She rolled her eyes at me and told me that she doesn’t worry about nonsense like how many calories she eats.

That was the end of our diet related conversation.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Morning workouts weekdays before work are usually Sydney Cummings on YouTube 30-50 min, rotating full body circuit, legs, upper push, cardio/abs, glutes, upper pull...and a little cardio if I can fit it in. I also try to do a short run(20-30min) after work 3-4 days. Saturday is usually a live step class(40-55min) after Sydney. Sunday is usually a cardio video and a 6-8 mile park run.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    Nothing too extreme here. I have too many joint issues to do more than this -

- 7 days/ week of 60-75 minutes cardio, first thing in the morning
    - usually two or three 1 hour or hour+ walks/hikes per week, depending on the weather
    - dumbbell & bench training in the evenings, a few times a week
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

The hubby likes my progress but I don't bore him with stories of the mundane. My kids winded up inspired and started fitness paths on their own. So we all talk about our progress.

On the other hand, I was at the gym and the owner of my gym has little clue on actual fitness and nutrition. I was cornered into a conversation that included "bulking and cutting is a waste of time" and something about fasting and cleanses. I needed one of those escape hatches to open up under me. :laugh:
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I don't talk fitness stuff with family and friends. I will report on any big goals to my husband. I see two different personal trainers and we are all total fitness nerds, so they are ideal for chatting to.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I'm on my C2 rower (almost) at home everyday: at least 5-10km/day.

Hrs vary but most often row in the evening but sometimes spread the workouts over the day (like today) when I rowed 15km (5km in the morning, afternoon and evening).

That's the advantage of working out at home. No travel time and all the equipment is available to me 24/7.

Currently at 1.2M meters for the year (May-Apr) w/4.5 months to go. Should top 2M meters for the year.

Haven't been doing much else lately but I consider everything else (like lifting in the garage, crossfit exercises in the backyard and walking/hiking here and there extra.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    An average week would be about 7hrs / 110 miles of cycling and 3 sessions of upper body weights (about an hour) but due to the weather and sporadic long distance rides my weeks are very variable volume too. Lowest weekly mileage c. 25 miles and highest c. 180 miles.

As 2020 hasn't been a normal year my weight training has been interrupted by two periods of gym closures and my cycling has been limited to home-to-home or car-to-car rides with maximum of about 100km/4hrs. Normally I'd do a couple of 100 mile rides but my events were cancelled.
  • JintheSouth
    JintheSouth Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Jump rope hiit with body weight exercises about 4x a week and a straight jump rope workout about once a week. The workouts can last from 15 to 45 minutes.
    Pilates 1-2x a week for at least a half hour to an hour.
    I have this 30 day core challenge on rotation, so I’ll get about a minute of core work done daily.
    I workout anytime between mid-morning to 4pm, depending on how busy I am with work. I also don’t have scheduled rest days. I work out when I feel like it, but looking at what’s logged in my app, I workout a full week, then take two days off the following week.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I lift 3x' s per week- about 45 minute sessions with ten minutes of cardio as a warm up.
    Once a week i do a 5K.

I'm 43. In my 30's I did weights 4 x's per week for at least an hour plus ten minutes or more of cardio; and running 5 miles once a week.

I don't count things like hikes as work outs... but every other week I try to go for a decent hike. That could be anywhere between three and six hours.
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I just do sydney cummings workouts 6 days a week. And take walks with the kiddos😊
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,562 Member
    Options
    Every other day I try to get in a lifting session (been doing stronglifts) and then on the weekend I've been trying to get in a 30min HIIT boxing session.

As my lifts get heavier, it takes longer to complete, so the lifts are around 1.5 hrs
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I just do sydney cummings workouts 6 days a week. And take walks with the kiddos😊

I've been following her since May. I don't always do her workouts every day, but I have been lately since I'm not in the gym any more.
  • JSLuke59
    JSLuke59 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    4 weekdays 4:00 - 6:00am.
    Saturday’s 9:00 -11:00.
    The only exception is when my body is telling me to add another rest day.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    6 days a week, one body part per day. Usually only 30-40 minutes lifting. Then an hour of walking/run sprints. I walk 7 days a week though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png