Why doesn't MFP give calorie burn for strength exercises?

Options
I just started two days ago, and entered my cardio numbers and it automatically calculated the calorie burn, however it didn't calculate calories used for the strength portion I entered. Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be appreciated!!

Replies

• ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    Add it in the cardio section.
  • crb1988
    crb1988 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    The amount of calories burned when strength training varies so much, it's really hard to keep up with them. I think there is a strength training category in the cardio section. You could use that, but it will be a very rough estimate.

Good luck to you!
  • Chris_bee05
    Chris_bee05 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I think it has something to do with your heartrate. You burn the most calories when your heartrate goes up, like with cardio, and I think a lot of strength training exericises don't increase your heartrate as much as cardio. Some strength training moves CAN increase your heartrate quite a bit depending on number of reps and how much weight you use etc., but that is difficult to calculate, so that's why MFP doesn't do it automatically.

There is a choice in for "strength training" in the cardio section that will give you a general idea, or I use "circuit training" like when I do my workout DVDs that have a lot of strength moves combined with cardio.

Or somebody on here told me you can wear a heartrate monitor and manually record your calories burned based on your heartrate and your monitor reading.
  • ljsackett
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone! I do have a heart monitor and will start using that to record the calorie burn from the strength training exercises. Happy weight loss everyone! :smile:
  • lpeacock06
    lpeacock06 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone! I do have a heart monitor and will start using that to record the calorie burn from the strength training exercises. Happy weight loss everyone! :smile:

What kind of numbers are you getting? Is it on wt machines? I don't think that burns much....to be burning fAt you need to have at least 30 min of your rate being "in the zone" to get a good workout;....then increase it to as much as you can tolerate.....
    I'm not an expert by any means but just telling you what my trainer has told me
  • ljsackett
    Options
    And enjoy your baby girl! My first grandaughter is in my profile pic with me...she'll be 2 in Nov. and my daughter has #2 on the way due 12/29.
  • Missy0104
    Options
    I wondered that too. I know it burns calories long after so that makes me wonder how much extra to eat to fuel myself if I have no clue what calories I'm burning as a result of the resistence training.