Diagnosed with Fatty Liver-and I don’t drink!

Options
I’ve always said “I’m the healthiest fat person you’ve met” but that’s not true anymore. I’ve had a pretty complete med work up recently. Pre diabetic, high cholesterol and now a fatty liver!

Has anyone else been diagnosed with a fatty liver? It was found on a CT Scan.

Looks like I’m back on my health journey.

Replies

• justindprice
    justindprice Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes... I have a family history and brother that is currently working with diet as well to curb symptoms. I was diagnosed recently as well by echo. I’m also very light on alcohol... nafld for nonalcoholic fatty liver. Losing weight and low carb is the remedy. There are some good resources out there including a Facebook group I joined.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I work in the ER and we see a lot of people with incidental fatty liver on CT scan. Many are obese. It is largely due to high fat American diets.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I work in the ER and we see a lot of people with incidental fatty liver on CT scan. Many are obese. It is largely due to high fat American diets.

Average American gets well over 1000 calories a day from sugar or highly refined starches too. Yeah, when you combine all the fat with all of those simple starchy carbs, it's not hard to understand why it's such a common thing.

Heck, we're putting icing on pancakes for kids (in addition to syrup). So there's that too.

Fucoidin and Astaxanthin are two very effective supplements for fatty livers. But diet and exercise are your friends.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    mariomicro wrote: »
    Unfortunately, you don't have to be an alcoholic to have fatty liver. I was diagnosed with fatty liver (steatosis) at the tender age of 12! (And I was surely not drinking alcohol back then). I was obese and I was eating to compensate for major *kitten* that was happening to my life. They old me back than that steatosis is not reversible, but, a few decades later and many kilos less, there are no traces of steatosis left.

giphy.gif
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options

Average American gets well over 1000 calories a day from sugar or highly refined starches too. Yeah, when you combine all the fat with all of those simple starchy carbs, it's not hard to understand why it's such a common thing.

Heck, we're putting icing on pancakes for kids (in addition to syrup). So there's that too.

Fucoidin and Astaxanthin are two very effective supplements for fatty livers. But diet and exercise are your friends.

You’re correct. Most people get way too much added sugar in the diet as well. Obesity is the cause of fatty liver in the majority of cases.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options

Yeah, it seems like there's an ongoing fight between those who think the problem with the US diet is excessive carbs and those who think it's excessive fat, but the US macros (on average) aren't particularly unusual, and healthy diets range in macro percentages.

Bigger issue is the sources of the fats and carbs -- in other words, overall food choice. (On average, a lot of the higher cal, lower nutrient foods tend to have lots of fat and refined carbs).

My understanding is that the diet normally recommended for non alcoholic fatty liver tends to be low in sat fat and refined carbs, but not so much healthy fats and carbs that come with fiber (beans/legumes, whole grains) or are found in fruit, veg, or even most other whole foods. In other words, it looks pretty much like what is normally recommended as a standard healthy diet.
  • infowoman
    infowoman Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes have you talked to your G.I doctor about it? My doctors don't seem worried about it.
  • HappilySingle
    HappilySingle Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    infowoman wrote: »
    Yes have you talked to your G.I doctor about it? My doctors don't seem worried about it.

Not yet. I see him in January.
  • PennywiseTheFrown
    Options
    Obesity is the number one cause of fatty liver.
  • cyaneverfat
    cyaneverfat Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I got it too, and I don't drink much at all (maybe every 6 months?)